logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/1/22 10:14 a.m.

In 2010 I accepted a position with one of the greatest Italian car companies in southeast Michigan.  I was at a point where if I stayed, I was going to develop some serious stress related health problems due to my department's management.  We were happy living in Michigan but I needed a change.  That change came in a job offer that took me to the northeast, even though I never had any desire to move that direction.

In 2015 I moved to Pleasant Mount PA, northeast of Scranton. The new job had its headaches but was a pretty good gig.  I spend a lot of time in Philly, Connecticut, Albany, Vermont and grew to hate New Jersey just like everybody else. 

This spring I got a promotion that gave me the opportunity to move back to Michigan.  The last few months have been crazy but the move is over.  The closing for the PA house was on Friday so we are D-U-N...Done.  We bought a place southwest of Ann Arbor.  The most important thing is it came with a 30x40 unfinished shop as well as a regular 2 car garage.  I brought all the project cars (82 E100, 76 Disco'Stang, 76 CJ5, Civic Chumpcar) because I am dumb. 

There are things I will miss about the northeast.  Living where the Poconos and Catskills met meant the roads were awesome for driving and sightseeing.  The ability to get an amazing sandwich pretty much anywhere is something people in the midwest don't understand (I didn't). Oh, and bagels...I never knew what a bagel was supposed to be.

Im not going to miss crossing the George Washington in midday, or dealing with the PA DMV and state inspections.  Hopefully I never have to hear someone from New Jersey give the speech about how New Jersey is actually 3 states and they are from north-central-south NJ which is totally different than north-central-south NJ.  Its like the schools require that lecture for graduation or something laugh I will also not miss the NY Highway Patrol that makes the Ohio Highway Patrol look reasonable.  I once got a ticket for 59 in a 55 on a state route outside Peru NY.

I grew up in Texas and have lived in West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.  I realized Michigan sorta felt like a second home when people would talk smack about Michigan and I would defend it.  Wanna trash Ohio?  Let me join in! laugh  I've already met more of my neighbors in 6 weeks here than I did in 7 years in PA. 

While it may seem like a coincidence, the talk of the promotion and moving started right around the time Dr Boost was moving from Michigan to Florida.  I like to think that was a little cosmic perk for me!

Yesterday we took a small break from unpacking and organizing to do a little Michivanning.  First time I've got to drive the van since roadtripping it out in May. 

The site of our first 2 crapcan races-

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/1/22 10:33 a.m.

Ann Arbor and bagels will mean Barry's Bagels.  Located near Zingerman's, another place for good sandwiches and breads (but not cheap.)

logdog (Forum Supporter)
8/1/22 10:42 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

That is good info!.  You are the second to reccomend Zingerman's.  The first person called it an oasis for misplaced New Yorkers.  I am going to check it out soon, it will give me an excuse to exercise the Disco'Stang.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/1/22 10:49 a.m.

Add the Ann Arbor Blimpy Burger to your list also.  But, before visiting, be sure you pre-study the process.  They take it very serious.  

Diner, drive-in, dives video

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/1/22 11:06 a.m.

DiscoStang...

Zingerman's Roadhouse, the location next to Barry's, is also the site of Ann Arbor Cars and Coffee so a good place for the Mustang Deuce.

video

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/1/22 11:20 a.m.
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:

While it may seem like a coincidence, the talk of the promotion and moving started right around the time Dr Boost was moving from Michigan to Florida.  I like to think that was a little cosmic perk for me!

We were a little rushed to move. Your exodus from the state raised our home values considerably. Then you told me about the potential return to the Coney Dog State. Concerned I called my real estate agent and she said I better get outta there while I can.

Congrats on the move and the new job man. This word is used way to much, but you deserve it. You're a hard worker, and if it weren't for that totally jacked up management at the german-italian-chinese-french-whoeverownsitthisweek company, you'd have done great there. 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
8/1/22 11:58 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Add the Ann Arbor Blimpy Burger to your list also.  But, before visiting, be sure you pre-study the process.  They take it very serious.  

We were at Blimpy's the other night.  They still give out annoying change laugh

logdog (Forum Supporter)
8/1/22 12:01 p.m.
DrBoost said:

Your exodus from the state raised our home values considerably.

You act like my toilet bowl flower pot and the seasonal clothes I put on the concrete goose in my yard are not assets.  Well excuuuuuse me, Mr "The Township has ordinances".

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/22 12:12 p.m.

Welcome back to the Midwest!  The people of Upstate South Carolina like to trash talk Ohio too. Ohio is the New Jersey of the Midwest.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/1/22 12:20 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I thought that was Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois?

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/22 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

Indiana is a strange exception to the Mason-Dixon Line and Illinois has good pizza cheeky

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/1/22 12:50 p.m.

Welcome back to Michigan.  I was with pilotbraden when he bought the Rx7 from you.  Seems like yesterday.  It is still sitting in my hanger since.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/1/22 1:16 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

That meat sauce lasagne pie thing? That ain't pizza.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
8/1/22 1:28 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

I love how often threads on this forum turn to pizza!

I will just say that almost all pizza is good.  Except that Provel E36 M3 they eat in St Louis and the Old Forge style in NEPA that tastes like Provel in disguise.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
8/1/22 1:28 p.m.
cdowd (Forum Supporter) said:

Welcome back to Michigan.  I was with pilotbraden when he bought the Rx7 from you.  Seems like yesterday.  It is still sitting in my hanger since.

I hope you guys are dusting it off once in awhile! laugh

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/22 1:30 p.m.
John Welsh said:

We were at Blimpy's the other night.  They still give out annoying change laugh

Holy crap.... check the value of that bill.  You don't see 1953 series in circulation much.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
8/1/22 7:30 p.m.

Just like last time I was here, many a summer evening will be spent prepping for the winter...

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
8/2/22 12:05 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

$500!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/2/22 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

I will just say that almost all pizza is good.  Except that Provel E36 M3 they eat in St Louis and the Old Forge style in NEPA that tastes like Provel in disguise.

Yeah, I'm not sure "all" pizza is good....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wn791Sh8Gj0zcarqyGZskSUl7rbBZ7ACcWWymCJZwrnGZDWn53Av3fF0ToMcnoPH