1 2 3
poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/9/12 12:19 p.m.

I fear many have missed my point. Stevie was a phenomenal player, and the most soulful singer/player since Hendrix IMO. Every 'new blues phenom' I've heard has been a Stevie wannabe. THAT SAID, people who grew up listening to Albert King would probably say the same thing about Stevie and so on. Just an observation.

Clapton sucked and the suck just doesn't stop comin'. Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker are what made Cream so awesome and influential, not Clapton. I've heard more soul in a kazzoo solo.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
1/9/12 12:25 p.m.

I'd say we're definitely on the same page.

I was wondering (not really) why nobody mentioned Hendrix yet. I would rank him higher than most already mentioned.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/9/12 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Zomby woof:

...probably because this thread started as a CURRENT state of blues and soul thread.

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
1/9/12 2:56 p.m.

Wow, some of you guys are are harsh on Clapton. I admit he has been mostly bland for decades, but there are many guitarists still trying to cop his fiery tone/playing from the John Mayall Beano album. Also, the Derek and the Dominoes stuff is quite impressive, and I'm not a particularly huge blues rock fan. Still, my favorites of that era were Mike Bloomfield and Peter Green.

Actually, I had more trouble understanding SRV than Clapton. Sure, he was good, but I never could comprehend why people went gaga over him when players like Rory Gallagher and and Roy Buchanan (both more authentic and original than SRV, IMO) lived and died in relative obscurity.

As far as contemporary soul/R&B, I really like Raphael Saadiq:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHyalVRUXrA

-Chris r.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/9/12 3:48 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: Tonight at work, while listening to Pandora, I decided to give myself a change of pace, and change my station. The legendary Sam and Dave. It plays a lot of greats, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, and on occasion, The Blue Brothers. One particular song was a live cut, I can't remember the song exactly, but it had an intro from Elwood Blues, talking about "Fast forward to the year 2006, when Blues music will only be available in the classical section of your local music store."

I have two stations on Pandora which play blues. One is Amy Winehouse which the stuff is hit or miss and mostly modern and Seasick Steve which is mostly country blues.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
1/9/12 4:16 p.m.
gamby wrote: In reply to Zomby woof: ...probably because this thread started as a CURRENT state of blues and soul thread.

Probably not. SRV, Jeff Healey, and Clapton were mentioned in the first reply.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/9/12 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Zomby woof:

Premature thread derailment???

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
opHKAwZyhoTkmMa3O494XCC6MuZgda9dFWMJfXDD8ECCx15t3Fjz4kOhTwwm5Q7V