1 2 3 4
SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/19/08 12:39 a.m.

Come on, I know you like it!

Why so serious??

Heath Ledger has just rivaled Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lechter. Wow!

HiTempguy
HiTempguy New Reader
7/19/08 8:53 a.m.

I watch a LOT of movies (especially when I had a girlfriend) in theatres. I can honestly say I have not seen a movie that is as good as this (which is odd considering it is an action movie based on a comic book character). Yes, there are a lot of great movies out there but this one had my mouth hanging open the whole time. The Joker was incredible.

My question is though, who is going to be in the next movie? Can they really make the Riddler evil? I don't think they have had the Penguin in this "new" series of movies either.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/19/08 9:02 a.m.

it was an interesting take on the Batman theme. I liked it alot.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/08 9:20 a.m.

they had an "issue" here the other night when they went to show it. It was midnight showing so they could be first in the area.. NONE of the copies they had worked.

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
7/19/08 9:37 a.m.

Going on Monday night to the Imax. Can't wait!!

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
7/19/08 10:37 a.m.

Planning on going this coming Friday with my FIL to an IMAX showing in Cincy - can't wait!

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/19/08 10:58 a.m.

I want to go see it but I'll have to wait until I have the time to make the 3 hour drive to a decent theater.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/19/08 12:30 p.m.

"He lives in a lair"

http://www.spike.com/video/2796195

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/19/08 9:42 p.m.

I have just gotten home from seeing it a second time, and I have decided that I did not like Maggie Gyllenhal as Rachel Dawes.

Stuc
Stuc Reader
7/19/08 9:57 p.m.

^^^ +1

My roomate and I drove an hour to see it in IMAX earlier today. The scenes were incredible. It was like.. HD... but the 6 story tall screen. Beautiful.

BTW, I thought I was jumping ahead to buy tickets on Tuesday, but it was already sold out through Monday at the 30-minute-away theatre, and the hour-away theatre had all the good showings sold out Friday Saturday and Sunday already. So we bought tickets for the noon showing earlier today, which sold out the next day. It didn't matter, it was awesome. It was so long and thorough you completely didn't know what time it was

edit: oh, and btw.... how about a magic trick? I am going to make this pencil disappear

jdmae92
jdmae92 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/20/08 1:41 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: they had an "issue" here the other night when they went to show it. It was midnight showing so they could be first in the area.. NONE of the copies they had worked.

Same thing happened to me. There were three showings and I had to catch the latest since the others were sold out. The other two worked but my showing was cancelled.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/20/08 7:33 p.m.

It's the feel good movie of the summer!

Well, not really. Although, it does feel good to finally get a no-excuses version of Batman on the screen that can accurately be called "gritty" without the comment merely being lip service. The wife and I were nearly drained after seeing it. Dana (who teaches third grade) commented after the movie that "if any of her kids comes in next year with a Joker action figure she's going to recommend them for a psych evaluation."

Personally, I've never been a huge Joker fan. I realized after seeing the flick that this was because I'd never seen it done right before. I think Mark Hamill's voice characterizations may have come closest, but Ledger and the Nolans really found something that works with this character.

This is first and foremost a crime movie. I think it's far more appropriate to compare it to something like Heat (come on, the opening scene was obviously an homage to that film) or The Departed or the French Connection (race against time under the 'EL' anyone?) than to compare it to other superhero films. It's really just a hard-boiled cop noir that happens to feature a guy in a cape. And I love the decision to un-stylize Gotham and simply turn it into a real city.

My big fear is about the next movie. All of the principals signed on for three films, but this one will be hard to top. We found ourselves wondering about possible future villains (is Dent really dead, was the comment about the new Batsuit being "cat proof" just a throwaway comment, or foreshadowing?) and the type of story arc that would allow the current narrative to be continued and not seem like a cop out. If they manage to pull off an even better third act, I may start to regain hope in the movie biz.

Also, am I alone in feeling that EVERY movie should end with the credits rolling while a gag reel of bloopers plays that culminates in the actors gasping for breath through their laughter while they hit each other in the crotch with cream pies? And throw Dom Deluise in there, just for sentimental value.

jg

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/20/08 8:33 p.m.

My wife and I saw it yesterday. It was Excellent. We also wonder what they will do for a 3rd. We both wonder how they are going to top it and how the story will continue, but agree that if they didn't make a 3rd, it would be ok since this one worked so well.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
7/20/08 9:45 p.m.

I'm FOR it! Great flick!

On to important matters: Villains for the next movie Bad, BAAAD form to bring the Joker back. Two-Face more? I can't really see it, because just vigilante vs unjust vigilante, while epic, is hard to "movie."

Catwoman? Really? Meeeeeeeeeeeeh, I'm not seeing it. Killer Croc? Not really fitting with the theme... Bane? Will the audience take Batman getting wrecked? A thematic issue again? Clayface? Too much of Spiderman's Sandman?

That's about all I know. DC suuuucks.

Here's hoping they don't ruin it Spiderman 3 style.

Stuc
Stuc Reader
7/20/08 9:57 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Here's hoping they don't ruin it Spiderman 3 style.

Oh GOD no! Don't even jinx it like that... and please no Robin...

Penguin and Riddler are probably the most likely as 3rd movie antagonists IMO... not sure how Riddler could be played out as too interesting... although I feel the series has been dark enough to include Bane

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
7/20/08 10:05 p.m.
Stuc wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: Here's hoping they don't ruin it Spiderman 3 style.
Oh GOD no! Don't even jinx it like that... and please no Robin... Penguin and Riddler are probably the most likely as 3rd movie antagonists IMO... not sure how Riddler could be played out as too interesting... although I feel the series has been dark enough to include Bane

Christian Bale had his contract edited to basically say: Robin= I'm outtahere!

Penguin isn't dark enough. Riddler might be too comic-ey. I dunno. I'd look forward to a fox in a catsuit, yeah.

GSmith
GSmith Reader
7/20/08 10:25 p.m.

Took my 5 year old to see it Friday for the late showing - he's a big Batman fan and I didn't say where we were going (mom knew!).

He came downstairs in his Batman pajamas and we went like that :)

That said - it's really cool just how much goes over the head of the young. There were times he was startled, but never truly scared. Well, except for the new Mummy movie preview.

I agree - Ledger's interpretation of the Joker rivals Hopkins' Hannibal Lechter. Truly an impressive job.

I could see Bane. I could see Hush - maybe. Dr. Hugo Strange? Catwoman, Mr. Freeze or the Riddler? Done before in the movies, but so far, this version has nailed Scarecrow, Ra's Al Ghul, and Joker, and done very well with Two-Face...

I'd think that they would stick with well-known villians, but who knows?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/20/08 10:35 p.m.

Given the sub-plot about the copycats maybe ManBat?

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/20/08 10:56 p.m.

a "no-Robin" clause, I was hoping for a robin story that would lead into Night Wing spin off

mrhappy
mrhappy New Reader
7/21/08 1:00 a.m.

If you dont like Robin you should read the new Frank Miller Batman & Robin comic it is insane.Its as good or better than year one I cant make up my mind yet.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/21/08 1:09 a.m.

if you cross riddler with anthony hopkins in silence of the lambs........

geomiata
geomiata Reader
7/21/08 1:50 a.m.

i saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. if they don't make a third that will be ok with me, but if they go all spidey3 on my ass i will be pissed.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/08 6:47 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: if you cross riddler with anthony hopkins in silence of the lambs........

Nice idea.

Also I like the Bane idea. He seemed to be my favorite of the second tier villains. He also was the only one that would regularly kick the bats ass, which I enjoy.

Dent could well return, but that would be rather soapish.

BBsGarage
BBsGarage Reader
7/21/08 8:47 a.m.

If Dent returns I hope its with a different actor.

So do you know how I got these scars?

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/21/08 9:37 a.m.

Main complaint with the movie is that it would not end. Could have skipped 2 or 3 plot twists and been done.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dJW0QN1MuMaQNpRQpjtn4k5buj835YwL2eh7rbIhFautN7JOrl1X9FESrc2UZ8hw