ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/17/20 7:46 p.m.

We ran a couple trailer loads of remodeling debris to the county dump. On the second run I spotted something in the metal scrap dumpster that, after a brief examination, I had to take home. Over my wife's, uh, strenuous objections I might add. 

a late 80s (I think?) lugged steel Nishiki with suguino crank, diacompe brakes, and Shimano SIS drivetrain. Other than some small rust spots and faded logos the fame is perfect. Hell, the tires were still hiding air. When we got home I pumped up the tires and rode it up and down the street. It needs new tires, some brake pads, and some new pedals that are less bent. But it even still shifts ok. Already ordered the tires. 

I'm going to clean it up and make a neighborhood cruiser out of it, even though it's a little small for me. I just couldn't leave it there in the junk pile to be crushed. 

I'm  thinking some hot pink bar tape and redo the pink cables. Clean it up good, and either an 80s period saddle or a nice black Brooks. Find myself a nice leather helmet and I'm ready for L'Eroica

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
10/17/20 7:52 p.m.

Your wife is a smart lady.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/17/20 7:56 p.m.

I found your t-shirt.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
10/17/20 8:00 p.m.

It's shocking how many people toss bikes that need minor fixes or just tidying up. I've pulled probably a dozen out of the metals section of the dump over the years. Most I refurbished and flipped for good money, but I kept a high-end steel Giant mountain bike with a full Deore group - it's waiting to be stripped and painted at the moment.

10/17/20 8:32 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Your wife is a smart lady.

You're right...but you're both wrong this time. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
10/18/20 5:56 a.m.

That thing is cool

10/18/20 12:22 p.m.

Thanks, I think so. I found a website that decides the serial number. According to that info, this is a frame made for the Canadian market in 1980. 
I don't think it's that old, plus there's a sticker for Dons Bikes in Slidell, LA on it. Maybe all the components were updated or they're older than I think. Need to run down some dates on the drivetrain stuff. Debunk or confirm. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/18/20 12:48 p.m.

Interested to hear if/where you find pedals.  Been looking for a while for some that will take cages to refurb my road bike.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/20 1:01 p.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

Find myself a nice leather helmet and I'm ready for L'Eroica

I think maybe I read that line totally wrong.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/18/20 1:59 p.m.

Yeah, I would stay away from the Italian team.  I hear they are kinda a-holes.

10/18/20 4:25 p.m.

Any of you bike nerds have a set of clamp on indexed downtube shifters you want to let go cheap?

seems like the drivetrain is 1990 not 1980. Shimano SIS with those funky bar shifters. So either the serial number decoder was way off or it was completely rebuilt. No shifter bosses on the Down tube and no signs of wear from a removed clamp makes me think it is an early 90s bike. But no reason I can't convert it to downtube shifters. 

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
10/18/20 8:58 p.m.

I love finding solid bikes at the dump or the local scrapyard. Road bikes aren't my thing but I've saved a few just so they could live on. My friend still rides a nishiki I got out of the bed of a truck at the scrap yard! 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/20 9:46 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

I'm still finding hits for Don's Bicycles in Slidell on Google, including a phone number, so they might still be in business. Maybe if you can reach them they can give you some history/specs/whatever on the bike?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/24/21 10:15 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I found your t-shirt.

The movie rules. 

"Refund!?!"

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
5/24/21 11:50 p.m.

I can't leave good discarded bikes alone either. My mountain bike is a bike I found at a dumpster years ago. Aluminum frame, missing wheels & pedals, cheap shock. Had good crank bearings & good shimano shifters, cables & brakes. 
Now it's a really nice mountain bike.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/25/21 12:48 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

This sounds like a Frankenbike many years ago a couple of guys I worked with used parts from various stashes to build one for another co-worker so he could participate in night rides.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/21 9:01 p.m.
02Pilot said:

It's shocking how many people toss bikes that need minor fixes or just tidying up. I've pulled probably a dozen out of the metals section of the dump over the years. Most I refurbished and flipped for good money, but I kept a high-end steel Giant mountain bike with a full Deore group - it's waiting to be stripped and painted at the moment.

I drag home a bunch of discarded bikes, and usually get them cleaned and adjusted the same afternoon. Sometimes they'll need a tube or pedal, but they're too good to scrap and I donate them to a group that gets them to kids in the city that don't have bikes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yURqsQJYGAuXlNs7o69a961yJK3PUQ2iP8gtqwatvvH5vOxIrHe9r52nGB5bWeeV