1 ... 15 16 17
golfduke
golfduke Dork
5/7/24 11:51 a.m.

Pumpkinseeds are cool looking fish, but lots of places now consider them invasive species.  We live on a ~400 acre lake, and our Dept ofFish & Game just posted a bulletin to NOT catch & Release, but rather throw them to shore.  Their numbers are impressive here.  They're stunting smallmouth growth in the Lake in just a few short years. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/7/24 12:41 p.m.

Interesting; I don't know how a pumpkinseed would stunt bass growth when bass love to snack on them!

My daughter and I have caught dozens of pumpkinseed over the last few years but that particular one was just so pretty. The photo doesn't do it justice really.

Sunday I had a rare solo fishing trip and landed one nice white bass and one big channel cat. The bass was on a kastmaster and the channel cat was on a nightcrawler. I had trouble getting the rod out of the holder that cat was pulling so hard. 

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
5/7/24 12:53 p.m.

In reply to golfduke :

Interesting. There used to be a lot more of them when I was a kid in the 70's, they would polish up a sandy spot on the bottom for their nests and they would be all over the bottom of the cove at my parent's place.  Then the loons came back in the 80's and 90's and you don't see the nests like that anymore.   The crayfish have disappeared too, I haven't seen one in years.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/24 10:16 a.m.

I got out fishing for the first time this year on Saturday, near Ft. Fisher/Bald Head Island.  It was great for my mood. As a bonus, the day was beautiful, and I was catching croaker.

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
5/13/24 11:01 a.m.

While waiting for that next fishing trip, make sure to hide your boat behind a fence (mural) that's painted like... your boat.  :)

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/2/24 10:55 p.m.

Camping at a reservoir we've never been to that is pretty close to home this weekend. Oldest daughter caught her first walleye, from the shore with a micro jig! So awesome. It was a little guy but a new species is always a blast. 

photography was tough as the sun was down and it was getting dark fast. I'd caught a Sauger earlier and we assumed it was the same thing but when she brought it in it looked "different." And then she noticed the white spot on the tail and I noticed the glassy eyes. Pretty sure it's a walleye. 

6/12/24 10:09 a.m.

6/20/24 12:25 a.m.

I got ouin the canoe for a bit today.

1 ... 15 16 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Kj91QA26BIpf1bWzaTZWk1onKeQpLnVGBzXLwZxzm41bvrXp0Wi1iSDx3vKkzGv