1 2 3
Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/19/22 7:05 a.m.
Thinkkker said:

Good watch.  I still enjoy them.  As said, the chemistry is what makes them great. 

When you watch, they layed flairs in the tunnel.  I assume that was braking spot.  They have a shot of James going through, and looks like still on it.  So, obviously, he missed the braking point.  Wonder if he didnt see that?  At any rate, good on no major damage to him. 

Add to that the cars were on studded snow tires.   The steel studs on dry concrete don't provide the best traction for stopping.

The ice cracking certainly looked staged.   Absolutely NO way would he be so slow getting out & just hang out on top of that car if it was real.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/19/22 7:16 a.m.

We put it on last night, I drifted in and out of sleep after a long Saturday (Go Pokes!) So the only part I really remember is that hard hit May took in the EVO. 

I need to watch it again after getting a good night's sleep.

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
9/19/22 7:18 a.m.
Indy - Guy said:
Thinkkker said:

Good watch.  I still enjoy them.  As said, the chemistry is what makes them great. 

When you watch, they layed flairs in the tunnel.  I assume that was braking spot.  They have a shot of James going through, and looks like still on it.  So, obviously, he missed the braking point.  Wonder if he didnt see that?  At any rate, good on no major damage to him. 

Add to that the cars were on studded snow tires.   The steel studs on dry concrete don't provide the best traction for stopping.

The ice cracking certainly looked staged.   Absolutely NO way would he be so slow getting out & just hang out on top of that car if it was real.

Staged or not, Hammond's ice recovery rig with a winch made out of trees made the scenario worth it. That was the cool stuff I had hoped to see on "The Escapists" before it devolved into disappointment

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
9/19/22 10:09 a.m.

The poor Evo has been through a lot. But it's a trooper. 

Felt pretty boring and formulaic, the CGI flames were lame. I liked the skijoring and the slope shenanigans. 

I know the tunnel run was towards a wall for dramatic effect but I couldn't help but think that it would've been way safer and still as fun if they tried a top speed run in the opposite direction. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/19/22 10:15 a.m.

The flames were atrocious.

It seemed like they were genuinely having fun in this. Which was great. The last few have felt phoned in. Wasn't one of their best, but very enjoyable and no where near their worst.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/19/22 10:35 a.m.

That was a really good show.  Up there with the Arctic and Patagonia new old TG specials.  Some real danger there.  No way was James tunnel accident staged in any way.  Really lucky.  I've thought about the falling through the ice bit.  Too much danger contacting close to freezing water, but the winch had to be planned in advance. My guess is they planned to park on poor ice and the car to 'accidently' go through when no one was around it.  When James unfortunately went through while in it, I figure they just changed the script and rolled with it.

I really enjoyed this one.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/19/22 5:32 p.m.

Just me, or did it look like exactly 0 of the airbags deployed in the Evo wreck?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/22 5:39 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

It was a side hit, so the front airbag wouldn't necessarily have been expected. How many side airbags would an Evo of that era had? Given that it was RHD, it was probably either UK spec or JDM.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
9/19/22 5:45 p.m.

It's fun watching them ruin crappy cars with their antics. It was painful to watch it happen to an Evo and, to a lesser extent, the other two cars.

Still, it was good TV and was nice to have something new to watch.

Now I want a 4wd boosted sedan devil

solfly
solfly Dork
9/19/22 8:20 p.m.

Only watched it once but did anyone else feel like May let off early ish then accelerated again. I commented "oh he let off too early" then smash.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/22 10:54 a.m.

That crash made me wince.

I didn't think the episode was as good as some of their previous stuff, but those guys still put out content that's better than most of the other shows available.

A good part of that is just the chemistry. It'll take any other show quite a while to get to their level.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/20/22 12:54 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Top Gear was apparently never as good as everyone always seems to think it was - every season was 'worse' than the last if you've been following it since the reboot about 20 years ago. Which means it peaked with the first episode, and if you've seen the first episode you know that wasn't true. Really it just had some high points and low points but nobody remembers the low points in history - just like music :)

But they were all entertaining and I do love the way the boys use language. I'll watch this one again. They seemed to legitimately be having good fun.

No doubt. Ever listen to the Rolling Stones greatest hits "Forty Licks"? More like 27.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/20/22 2:06 p.m.

Plenty have said it, but it's the chemistry of the presenters.  No matter what they do with cars, its more about their relationship than the supposed subject matter.  It's the only automotive 'TV' show I watch.  The only YouTuber I watch 100% of is Harry Metcalf.  I can't stand any of the other over dramatized build or adventure shows.  Ditto, my family has very little interest in cars, my daughter actively dislikes cars but accepts they are a necessary evil, yet we all still watch these guys every show they do, and even the 'off' ones are still great.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
9/21/22 8:42 a.m.

There are good episodes and bad episodes.  Still better than anything on MT channel.  These guys are part Monty Python in cars, which I also enjoy.  Glad there is a new season, was tired of summer reruns.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/24/22 7:24 a.m.

Finished this a couple days ago. 

On a scale of 1 to 7, I give it a 6. I enjoyed it.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/16/23 9:20 a.m.

https://www.theautopian.com/clarkson-hammond-and-may-will-drive-some-astonishingly-weird-cars-in-the-next-grand-tour-special/

After several months of separate programs, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May will once again grace the small screen with a Grand Tour special. While the last adventure took place in a Scandinavian winter, this new episode focuses on a trek through Eastern Europe. Officially called Eurocrash, the special will come out on June 16, and it will feature the trio in three very weird cars.

Well, this one sounds entertaining!

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
5/16/23 10:00 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Very interesting. Clarkson posted the 3 cars on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsRujkbMjCZ/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

solfly
solfly Dork
5/18/23 7:30 a.m.

cant wait for it

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
6/22/23 9:32 p.m.

I realized it's been out for a week and didn't see anything until one Facebook post today.  I just watched it, probably the reason.  Meh.  The joke about May hitting the wall in a previous show was the best part.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
6/22/23 10:11 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Completely agree.  It was...fine.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/22/23 10:33 p.m.

These days I watch their shows as much for the scenery as for their highjinks.  They do go to some beautiful places, and the production crew knows how to film them.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
6/23/23 9:49 a.m.

I was surprised they actually let May on the major motorway in such a wildly unsafe machine.  Ending his career by being rear ended by a tractor trailer while going flat out at 35 mph in a 75 year old tin can would be pretty sad.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
6/23/23 9:53 a.m.

I am excited to watch it, if not just for the Chevy SSR content laugh

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/23 10:25 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

They kept the buffer behind him at least.

On YouTube and faceplacee there's A good 20 minute "extra" with May, Hammond, and the lasayde at the Ebola drome that's pretty good too

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/23/23 10:31 a.m.
KyAllroad said:

I was surprised they actually let May on the major motorway in such a wildly unsafe machine.  Ending his career by being rear ended by a tractor trailer while going flat out at 35 mph in a 75 year old tin can would be pretty sad.

If you haven't seen the articles yet, May basically came out and said this more than likely the last episode of The Grand Tour.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bq4a9YJDQLqFGhs4npLQohIqks7spDox7uwUgAVLm0qn9DuQlQUxxccHfDru6N2l