1 2
konovola788
konovola788
4/8/22 11:34 a.m.

I was going to buy a used car and started researching forums and reviews. So far it turns out that people are more often disappointed than happy with this decision. Tell me your stories, I want to compare and decide is it worth buying now or is it better to save up and get a car from the showroom

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
4/8/22 11:55 a.m.

In the past buying new enables you to get the options you want and cross compare dealer pricing because it's exactly the same car. Letting you get a better deal at time of purchase. 

In the past used cars were cheaper than new but every used car is unique in its condition making it harder to shop pricing in my opinion. 

Right now you may pay more for a used car because it is available. Waiting for a new vehicle even paying MSRP seems to be a better buy than an available car that's under 5 years old.

Currently the worst scenario is being in an accident because very few rental cars are available and pricing is high at car dealerships for cars that are instantly available. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/8/22 11:57 a.m.

Not sure if canoeing.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/8/22 11:59 a.m.

In reply to konovola788 :

You wrote:  So far it turns out that people are more often disappointed than happy with this decision. 

What decision?  I find your sentence to be unclear.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/8/22 12:00 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Not sure if canoeing.

I suspect so, I asked a question but I'm 99% sure there's a paddle in here somewhere.  

konovola788
konovola788 New Reader
4/8/22 12:02 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

dissatisfied with buying a used car

konovola788
konovola788 New Reader
4/8/22 12:04 p.m.

I'm just afraid that if I save money now, I'll spend a lot more on repairs in the future. What if I do not notice some nuances, which then will need to eliminate. Now I'm looking on the Internet for information on how to check the car, what to look for.  But I haven't made a final decision yet. I don't even know what to do. I'll keep looking into it.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/8/22 12:14 p.m.

Hello. Please take a moment to introduce yourself and explain what it is you are looking to do. What kinds of cars are you looking at?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/8/22 12:25 p.m.

Eliminating nuances is a worthwhile pursuit. As long as you have done the needful it will work out in a positive fashion. I've often felt bamboozled at a car dealership so I restrict my financial remunerations to solitary individuals. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/22 12:32 p.m.

I have made success whenever car buying was necessary endeavor. Preferably my purchase is small dealers but also occasional owner as well. 

Honestly, I've never been disappointed in a used car. If you are, you didn't spend enough time with it before you handed over the money.

I've bought one almost new car and I despised it every month when I had to make the payments. That was 20+ years ago and I haven't had a car payment since. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/8/22 12:42 p.m.

Is used car go kaput, never more, now only virgin machine from great mother factory. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/8/22 12:44 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I'm pick'n up what you're lay'n down! 

Where will this go? 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/8/22 1:25 p.m.

I've always been able to justify buying new by keeping the car forever.  If you are buying the car with the intention of selling it and getting another one in three or four years, then buy used.

Also, it's much easier to simply focus on agreeing on price with a new car.  With a used car, there are more variables, and things of which you are likely unaware regarding the car's history and condition.

konovola788
konovola788 New Reader
4/8/22 1:38 p.m.

I'm still a beginner, this will be my first car. So I'm afraid I'll get scammed and sold some beat-up car or something like that. 
I would like to have a small car, so I don't have problems with parking and gasoline consumption is relatively low. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/8/22 1:40 p.m.

I bought a used car once.  I have replaced or repaired almost EVERYTHING in that car.

That was 30 years ago, the car was 25 years old when I bought it, still great fun to drive...

...I cannot even begin to tell you how much money I must have saved (and made because I did not spend) in all those years!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/8/22 2:33 p.m.

Do your research on the specific model of car you're looking at. Learn about any problems they tend to have. Don't just shop for the cheapest car.

Get a pre-purchase inspection with a licensed, independent mechanic. Anyone who doesn't want to let you take the car to get it inspected, walk away.

Budget money to do maintenance on any car. A new car with a warranty just has the maintenance costs built into the sticker price. If you take the money you would be spending every month, and put it in a bank account, it will be more than enough to cover maintenance costs on a reasonable used car.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/8/22 2:37 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I prefer slightly used cars, the current used cars, the buyer to weigh the buyer to the value while not being new and prefer slightly used cars, the current used market is crazy, so its up to they tend to weigh the buyer to weigh the buyer to the current used market is crazy, so its up to the value while not being new and presumably trouble free.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
4/8/22 2:40 p.m.

This is a mildly amusing program that is practicing it's communication skills.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/8/22 3:33 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Lol'zers 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/8/22 5:53 p.m.

The deep discounts buying used, stems from the fact you are knowingly buying seat cushions filled with someone else's farts.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/8/22 6:41 p.m.
Appleseed said:

The deep discounts buying used, stems from the fact you are knowingly buying seat cushions filled with someone else's farts.

"in the event of a water landing, your seat cushion may be used as a flotation device"

George Carlin = Oh great, I'll be bobbing around in the water sniffing ten million miles of peanut farts.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/8/22 9:04 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Do leather covered seats hold as many farts as cloth covers seats, or do they just bounce off vs. soak in?  Inquiring minds want to know !

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/8/22 9:16 p.m.

Long game 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/22 9:29 p.m.

I have never bought a new car.  Ever.  I did own one.  It was my college graduation gift from mom and dad, and it was a very good vehicle.

New car depreciation is intense.  They like to say that when you sign for a new car it loses 20% of its value.  It's not quite that apocalyptic or absolute, but the first few years of ownership are the greatest depreciation.  I prefer to buy vehicles that have passed that steep depreciation.  Instead of buying a $40k car that I sell ten years later for $5k, I buy the same car three years used for $15k and sell it five years later for $12k

In that way, I'm spending a net of $3000 every five years instead of $35k every ten.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
4/8/22 9:45 p.m.

Objects are closer than they appear

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
galaGCOXpOd6v7N30D8CkMeAcRoU7lWWqL2DqqPrKedSEMTVnTVk5JX6YSExIoez