1 2 3
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
10/23/16 8:54 p.m.

I took the FAL & AK out to my folks' farm today. We didn't have a whole lot of time. I let dad decide what he wanted to shoot first, and he was more interested in the AK. We bush hogged a path, staked a target out in the pasture, and herded the cows out of harms way.

By the time we got back to the house, and up on the deer stand, I mean balcony, we each got 5 rounds off before the cows decided they needed to be where we were shooting.

Dad's one of those right handed, left eye dominant weirdos. I think he liked it.

We set the target up a little far out for our eyes and iron sights, hard to say how accurate the gun is at this point. It preformed great though, I pulled the bolt out and added a few drops of CLP on the moving parts, put every thing back together, and it ran like a sewing machine.

So the AK was fun, I'm definitely going to be stocking up on more ammo for it. I've already ordered 240 rounds of 7.62x39 Brown Bear, and a few Polish mags.

I'll have to take the FAL out again next weekend I guess. I'll go down to the hay field, and shoot at the bluff, so I don't have to herd cows.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
10/23/16 9:15 p.m.

Its a shame the days of the $79 640rd spam cans are gone for 7.62x39 isn't it?

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
10/23/16 10:38 p.m.

In reply to WOW Really Paul?:

Yeah, I got into the AK game way too late.

I typically buy brass case ammo because I have delusions of reloading. I bought that Brown Bear because it was cheap and Sportsman's Guide had free shipping this weekend.

Looks like the cheapest brass case 7.62x39 I can get into is Geco, which I have zero experience with or knowledge of. It's about $0.06/round more than I typically get .223 for.

What world is this, that it's cheaper to build and shoot ARs than AKs?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
10/24/16 7:06 a.m.

got into the AK game in the late 90's. You know, when you could buy a case of Wolf 7.62 for $69.99. We'd go buy 2 cases, go home and shoot a case.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
10/24/16 7:16 a.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: Its a shame the days of the $79 640rd spam cans are gone for 7.62x39 isn't it?

you must have gotten in late! We were paying $70 for 1000rds of Wolf

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
10/24/16 7:50 a.m.

Also Lee, there's a case of Wolf for sale locally for $200 for 1000 rds.

WOW Really Paul?
10/24/16 10:34 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Post 2000.......remember, I'm a youngster.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
10/24/16 11:24 a.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Post 2000.......remember, I'm a youngster.

damn kids. get off my lawn

WOW Really Paul?
10/24/16 11:45 a.m.

I can remember places nearly giving away Mosins.....part of why they don't interest me. Now, the SVT40 on the other hand.....that's a Soviet rifle I think I want.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
10/24/16 11:57 a.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: I can remember places nearly giving away Mosins.....

That wasn't long ago at all.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
10/24/16 2:26 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: I can remember places nearly giving away Mosins.....part of why they don't interest me. Now, the SVT40 on the other hand.....that's a Soviet rifle I think I want.

From a WWII historical perspective I want a Mosin Carbine. And a 1903 Springfield. And a Lee Enfield. And a Mauser. Just because. I tell you what though, those repro 1903A4 really have my attention

smog7
smog7 Dork
10/24/16 8:32 p.m.

Lucky. I was hoping to pick a fal up, looks like I won't be able to before California's dumb semi auto laws go into effect Jan 2017.

As for membering low ammo prices, I was lucky enough to stock up on enough 16 cent mosin ammo to last a life time. Im 29..

Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/24/16 9:51 p.m.

For awhile I was looking at mosins, but never pulled the trigger. I've also been a little hesitant to shoot bulk surplus corrosive ammo, keeping me from putting many rounds through my father's M43(Spanish K98k).

WOW Really Paul?
10/25/16 12:33 a.m.

In reply to Brian:

Nothing wrong with the corrosive stuff so long as you remember to clean it out very thoroughly after each use.

And I have a BYF42 Nazi era K98 Mauser. It is very very fun to shoot.

smog7
smog7 Dork
10/25/16 10:20 p.m.

Always take a funnel, spray bottle, and a bore snake when using corrosive ammo. Love my Soviet surplus firearms.

WOW Really Paul?
10/28/16 12:12 p.m.
smog7 wrote: Always take a funnel, spray bottle, and a bore snake when using corrosive ammo. Love my Soviet surplus firearms.

This, I have to remember to do that with my k98 on the odd time I find surplus stuff.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
10/28/16 1:05 p.m.

I got my Brown Bear and Polish mags in, I told myself that I was done buying steel case for the time being, and that I probably had enough mags. Then PSA goes and puts 10 AK Pmags and 400 rounds of Tula in a Daily Deal combo. I should have ignored it, but I didn't, I did the math, and apparently I don't have enough will power pass up an ammo and paraphernalia deal.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
84DPUQUeADICdPoTXT98jHAcQg6tlN6c75aZQpKi01bt6bX6zw3LWu3FxR4zJpIY