Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/19/18 2:04 p.m.

Last Saturday I was reminded of how small the world really is sometimes.  There is a big Cars & Coffee event in Dayton Ohio, they don't have it every Saturday and last Saturday was the last one for the year.  My middle son has really gotten into cars in the last 8 months or so and asked about going to our local C & C, I mentioned that the Dayton one was a lot bigger  and did he want to go?  He said yes so we pilled in the car at 7 am and headed out.

The show was cool, my son was most excited about the 3 Lamborghini Aventador's that showed up, but there was all kinds of stuff.  One guy had a 79 Merc 300 diesel with two turbos and the exhaust out the hood and a straight off my teenage bedroom wall white on white Countach.  Anyway, as the show cleared I asked if he wanted to go to the Packard museum before we went home.  My Dad had found the museum a couple of weeks before and I had not been there yet.  Tyler said sure so once back in my car I typed car museum into Google Maps and this was the first entry to pop up:  www.britishtransportationmuseum.org.

I didn't see any hours listed so I called and found out that there was a meeting going on but we were more than welcome to stop by, cool.  We sign the guest book, walk up the stairs and find out that the person I had talked to on the phone is the current president, Pete, of the place.  He and I talk as Tyler and I walk around the  looking at the cars and low and behold I see the car from this post I made:

what-car-is-this

Then over in a corner I see a Lotus Elan.  Having never really gotten a close look at one I am peering inside.  Pete asked if I want to sit in it, which I do and Grassroots MS comes up.  Pete says that GRM talked to the museum about the Elan they restored, cool, and that the museum also has an ice racer that Autocross did and article on back in the day.

Tyler and I spent way longer poking around there than I expected, met some cool people and I think I am going to join the museum adn try and volunteer there from time to time.  Its a cool place, they even have a slot car track set up, so if you are in the area check it out.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/19/18 2:59 p.m.

That's awesome. It's those little finds that are always so special. 

One our Challenge judges came from the Amelia Island Concours crew. I thought this past weekend was the first time that we had met. No, he said, he was at one of our dyno days back in 1997 or so. 

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
10/23/18 3:34 p.m.

It  was like stopping at the corvette museasum in 2015 on the way from from the challenge and getting to go behind the walls into the storage and mech area and seeing the sucker vette and start telling the history of the car and impressing the head guy that works on the cars. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VkZBV4D3bw49PZ56eee75KXVmfRST0QLDVSaHYvzIiDrVVq947YvMbTAnmjYCmXA