1 2
mtn
mtn SuperDork
11/9/09 10:45 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: There is no other route. All hell leads to Chicago.

Yep. Unless you're going way south to I70, you're pretty much screwed if you're going cross country in the Midwest.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/9/09 11:09 p.m.

Geez, makes me appreciate NC even more

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/9/09 11:23 p.m.

I've been to DC on numerous occasions. Saw the Jefferson memorial from afar on numerous occasions. Never figured out how to get there.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
11/10/09 6:48 a.m.

According to:

http://ww.speedtrap.org/speed-traps/show/Ohio/

There are 932 speed traps in Ohio.

Michigan: 927,Indiana: 382,Illinois:1384,Pennsylvania:583

I made the trip from west of Detroit to Columbus countless times when I lived in Michigan. You learn the traps, and drive accordingly.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
11/10/09 8:31 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: Can we kick Ohio out of the union?

I soon expect that this conversation will be about the events that take place at Noon, the 3rd Saturday of November on a field in either Ohio or Michigan (this year in Michigan.)

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 HalfDork
11/10/09 9:25 a.m.

i live in Ohio. in the suburbs far outside cleveland. IF you are careful you can get up and go at a fast clip....but its not worth the ticket. they'll get you.

I dont think its that bad but maybe thats because i have been living here all my life.

scardeal
scardeal Reader
11/10/09 10:30 a.m.

I figured gridlock would be the worst place to be in a driver's car...

S2Fella
S2Fella New Reader
11/10/09 12:07 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
patgizz wrote: FYI the ohio turnpike fees all just doubled. i need to go up to michigan tomorrow for work, i'm avoiding as much turnpike as possible - class 2 pulling trailer sucks for pike fees.
If you go with the "new to Ohio" EZ Pass system, Ohio will continue to charge you at the old rates. Personally, I found it cheaper to sign up for the Indiana EZ Pass which is equally accepted in Ohio at the lower rates.

Even better - go with the Massachusetts EZ pass transponders. They work fine in Ohio and you can get up to 4 of them at no charge - and no monthly fees either

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
11/10/09 12:35 p.m.

Cool tip on the Mass EZ.
Indiana was $2 per to get the box ($10 purchase price at rest stop with $8 of credit and $2 going to the retailer)
No monthly fee for Indiana and reloads at $2.

Mass EZ
Free box
Initial credit purchase of $20 and reloads at $10
No monthly fee
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Highway/fastlane/main.aspx

Ohio EZ
Initial Credit purchase of $25 for each box needed
$3 shipping fee for each box. $0.75 per month fee (even if not used)
Box remains property of Turnpike and $25 fee for not returning
Reloads at $10

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
11/10/09 9:25 p.m.

Well, using the info that JFX gave us, Illinois is the worst speed trap offender, at 1 speed trap for every 41.8 square miles, followed by Ohi-slow at 1 speed trap for every 48 square miles, then Pen has a speed trap for every 79, and michigan has a speed trap for every 105 square miles. Now, we have a pothole for every stripe on the roads but that's another thread. I would have figured how many speed traps per mile of road, but Ohi-slow reports "lane miles" instead. Even though IL has more speed traps by area than OH, at least you aren't forced to shift into third and idle it through the state. Plus, they have Chicago as a destination, Ohio has, uh, Kentucky.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
11/10/09 9:33 p.m.

Hey Kentucky is awesome (at least we can pretend). I think we have a couple state troopers not that I ever see them.

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
11/11/09 1:39 a.m.

I wasn't ripping KY, just OH. I actually rather like Kentucky.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
11/11/09 8:35 a.m.

Can someone create a map of the US with the area of Ohio replaced with water, making lake Eire much bigger. We can then add two ferry routs, once call the I75 and one called the I80/90.

We can then solve the countries economic issues with a public works project to excavate the area formally known as Ohio, no one will miss it . Puerto Rico can replace Ohio as the last star on the flag and everyone will be happy

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
11/11/09 9:04 a.m.

Sorry for saying this (since I didn't read all the previous posts), but I rarely see cops in Ohio, like I do in Alabama....esp. rural Alabama. Last month I drove to Fl. by driving "diagonally" across Al to the corner of Ga./Fl. I wanted to avoid the crowds and construction of I-75. I never got stopped/pulled over, but I quickly lost count of how many local and state patrol cars passed me.

BTW, another bad place for "driver's cars" is on most stretches of interstate through Pa. It's my "home" state, but holy heck are they poorly maintained. "Welcome to Pa. the pothole capital of the U.S." ought to be hanging over the roads as you enter the state.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
11/11/09 9:15 a.m.
integraguy wrote: Sorry for saying this (since I didn't read all the previous posts), but I rarely see cops in Ohio,

Really? I thought the only job's in Ohio were traffic cops. The 'flying donut patrol' is infamous here in Mi. Rumor has it that most people do 5 under as you get a ticket for actually doing the speed limit. I mean, doing 55 (the limit) when everyone else is doing 50 is reckless driving!!!

P.S. The 'Flying donut patrol' is due to the rather unfortunate symbol of the Ohio State Highway Patrol http://www.peakofohio.com/uploaded_images/State-Patrol-cruiser-on-8-08-756230.jpg

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
11/11/09 9:35 a.m.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/11/09 10:06 a.m.

I'd like to nominate US31 and 465 in Indiana as well. 465 is a bypass that goes ALL the way around the city. 53 exits of hell.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
11/11/09 11:16 a.m.
JFX001 wrote: According to: http://ww.speedtrap.org/speed-traps/show/Ohio/ There are 932 speed traps in Ohio. Michigan: 927,Indiana: 382,Illinois:1384,Pennsylvania:583 I made the trip from west of Detroit to Columbus countless times when I lived in Michigan. You learn the traps, and drive accordingly.

This is one reason I like living back in Indiana. Five years of celan driving record until I moved to Detroit. Three years up there and six tickets on my record. Detroit suburb revenue streams.

integraguy: Have you driven in Michigan? I done a fair bit of driving in PA. It's not that bad.

93celicaGT2: 465 is bad. That's why I stay on 65 or 70. The only time I take 465 is if I'm going to the airport. 31 isn't too bad between Indy and Southbend.

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
11/11/09 12:31 p.m.

Speed traps are fewer in number in Pa, than Ohio....the state police aren't "supposed" to hide traps.

I-81 and those sections of I-80 under construction are the pits, but I guess the north-south interstates in Pa...at least western Pa. aren't TOO bad.

And no, I haven't driven in Michigan, my last trips to the "other coast" never took my north and besides, it's been 20 years since my last cross-country trip.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/11/09 12:54 p.m.
griffin729 wrote:
JFX001 wrote: According to: http://ww.speedtrap.org/speed-traps/show/Ohio/ There are 932 speed traps in Ohio. Michigan: 927,Indiana: 382,Illinois:1384,Pennsylvania:583 I made the trip from west of Detroit to Columbus countless times when I lived in Michigan. You learn the traps, and drive accordingly.
This is one reason I like living back in Indiana. Five years of celan driving record until I moved to Detroit. Three years up there and six tickets on my record. Detroit suburb revenue streams. integraguy: Have you driven in Michigan? I done a fair bit of driving in PA. It's not that bad. 93celicaGT2: 465 is bad. That's why I stay on 65 or 70. The only time I take 465 is if I'm going to the airport. 31 isn't too bad between Indy and Southbend.

Yeah, 31 isn't bad up there, besides the horrible shape that it's in, but that's also because there's NOTHING up there. 31 is flat out INFURIATING from Franklin up to Indy, which happens to be the section that i drive everyday.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
11/11/09 1:52 p.m.

To those Indy people, I love driving in Indiana. Its always

A) from Chicago to Indianapolis (Carmel, actually) on I65... I remember regularly getting passed while I was doing 90. A few times by a cop.
Or
B) from Chicago to Bloomington or Evansville Area. 41 the whole way, nice and easy.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/11/09 2:09 p.m.
mtn wrote: To those Indy people, I love driving in Indiana. Its always A) from Chicago to Indianapolis (Carmel, actually) on I65... I remember regularly getting passed while I was doing 90. A few times by a cop. Or B) from Chicago to Bloomington or Evansville Area. 41 the whole way, nice and easy.

Oh yeah, 65 and 70 are GREAT for getting where you need to go in insane time without getting hassled by Johnny Law. It took a lot of adjusting for me when i got out here. My first thought was "HOLY CRAP WHY ARE THEY GOING SO FAST?!?!?!"

The other issue here is that there seems to be a high percentage of just blatantly terrible drivers. But if you're just driving THROUGH indiana, it's all gravy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pboR0QB7AlUP8jEhjmNGu9cHuaWB82KgIvAhBHOgucinrT5MTiM9EmgAhJZJsE8Y