DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
3/4/11 1:56 p.m.

We're thinking of heading to Charlotte in a couple of weeks. My son and I will do the usual NASCAR stuff,but I need to find one day's worth of things to do that have absolutel nothing to do with NASCAR or racing. To make this an enjoyable trip for all I need ideas for the SWMBO to see and do. Anyone in the area got suggestions? Thanks Warren

jonny330
jonny330 New Reader
3/4/11 2:29 p.m.

Not much to do here as far as I know, I moved up here a year ago next week from Orlando and I am not that impressed with Charlotte. The NASCAR Hall of Fame is a couple hours worth of entertainment but other than that not much to do downtown. The south park mall might be a good place for the SWMBO, really high end mall with all the stores. Don't have any other ideas at the present time.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
3/4/11 2:32 p.m.

Since I can't get my wife to spend money on clothes, jewelery, etc. the mall won't work. Not that I'm complaining about a woman who refuses to spend money on herself ! Thanks anyway.

Gotsol
Gotsol New Reader
3/4/11 2:45 p.m.

I use to live in Uptown. There are a few museums, some bars and that's about it.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
3/4/11 2:58 p.m.

I just left North Carolina this morning. Spent most of my time in the triangle but had to go to Charlotte for business. As a Nascar fearing PNW'er I was frankly appalled at the absurd overpresence of nascar. Dale Earnhardt memorial freeway? really? Random business billboards had "in loving memory of dale" logos on them.

Other than meeting with textile machinery manufacturers I laughed at a lot of donks and bubbles and had some chicken at Zaxby's, then left as quickly as I could.

Now Raleigh/Durham is a place I will go back to visit.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/11 7:06 p.m.

look up the US National Whitewater Center, it's an outdoors activity place with man-made whitewater river for kayaking, zip lines, climbing walls, and kick-ass mountain bike trails. it's one exit North of where 85 and 485 intersect, on the West side of town, iirc. on thursday evenings they have the 'river jam' with live music and delicious microbrews. we used to go up after work, shred the trails for a couple hours, then chill at the river's edge with an IPA. or three.

ncjay
ncjay Reader
3/7/11 9:29 a.m.

Some malls in the area - Northlake Mall, Concord Mills, Southpark Mall, Carolina Place. Northlake Mall has a car show on the first Saturday morning of every month. http://charlotte.carsandcoffee.info/ There is Discovery Place science center in downtown Charlotte. They have an IMax screen which is pretty cool. For museums, there is the Charlotte Museum of History, the Levine Museum, or the Mint Museum. If you're interested, there are two indoor karting centers - Victory Lane in Charlotte and The Pit up in Mooresville. A short hop away, there is Reed Gold Mine in Midland, NC.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/7/11 9:38 a.m.

Waltrip Raceworld is the shop to go to. Set up to educate even the non-enthusiasts.

Carolina Raptor center

Natl Whitewater Center is cool, but at this time of year it may be cold

There is an aviation museum just off the airport. Small but decent set of planes, including a beautiful Piedmont DC-3 tail dragger. They are going to get the US Air Hudson River plane but it's not there yet.

Concord Mills is big and touristy, right down the street from the track.

Lancasters BBQ (the original in Mooresville) - heavy racing theme, best BBQ in the area and a decent chance you'll catch NASCAR folks in there.

Charlotte Knights baseball and Carowinds amusement park, but may be too early for both

Discovery Center science museum downtown

Lake Norman to the north and Lake Wylie to the south. If there's water, there's entertainment.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/7/11 9:40 a.m.

Forgot - call Raceworld ahead of time and ask for the pit crew practice schedule. The tour will stop there and they have bleachers set up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dummo8bpQLh4GMlgCHhXQjBPpHm1nbBRgYzAi5Sve9tcGPLnYVHOj7bZPDkOsXOx