confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/8/08 1:14 p.m.

Peterbilt has hybrid trucks coming out soon. They're medium-duty applications, but they're still cool. They can run PTOs with the electric motor - only requiring the I/C engine 1/6th of the time.

edit: and here is the link! http://www.peterbilt.com/newsdetails.aspx?id=215

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
7/8/08 1:19 p.m.

This technology is a few years old, with most applications in the city bus market. Average speed of many city buses is about 2.5 MPH. Allison is one of the pioneers. UPS has been testing hybrid trucks like this.

You'll see more of it in the near future, especially with delivery-type vehicles.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/8/08 1:32 p.m.

Neat.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/8/08 1:46 p.m.

I took a ride on a lavishly-stickered HYBRID BUS!!! in Vail. And the I/C motor never shut off. Curious.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy New Reader
7/8/08 3:51 p.m.
Keith wrote: I took a ride on a lavishly-stickered HYBRID BUS!!! in Vail. And the I/C motor never shut off. Curious.

There is more than one way to run a hybred. Even though the engine never shut off, it may have been running competly unloaded much of the time, alowing the electric motor to do most of the work, thus still saving fuel and reducing tail pipe emissions. variables like the air temp engine temp and battery state-of-charge may keep the engine running when the vehicle is at rest.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/08 9:19 a.m.

Our hybrids run constatnly even though the wheels are only driven by the electric motor. The engine still needs to run the air compressor for the brakes, suspension, and doors, the power steering, and the climate control. It is more efficient than previous buses because it's only 5,9L instead of 12L.

Fortunately we've been able to avoid the Lavish stickering that some cities feel compelled to apply

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/08 9:30 a.m.

Ltucky lavishes the Green busses.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mxRUnxNz4slCYaFyvXGVkpGc1xab2LYJZUVuMq2n1KCLoqA0EENjpwaFmIYUjT44