rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
4/30/09 1:46 a.m.

This is a photo I took for my photography class at school, Thought that you guys would appreciate it.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
4/30/09 5:49 a.m.

That's a good photograph. Very striking, and nice work with the ambient lighting.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
4/30/09 5:56 a.m.

Nice shot!

[Bo Duke voice] Hot Damn!

It's True!

Rust doesn't sleep![/Bo Duke voice]

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/30/09 6:52 a.m.

very nice. have any more?

jde
jde Reader
4/30/09 8:05 a.m.

Cool shot, now I want to see a side or 3/4 shot to see more of the car.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/09 9:33 a.m.

I like it. It's my new wallpaper.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
4/30/09 9:40 a.m.

hehe sadly no more shots of the car, though I maybe able to sneak back and get more. The car is in a field though technically on private property . I got there at just after 6am to get the right light...and make sure no one was around lol.

This was actually taken with a Nikon F3, a manual focus, 35mm film camera. The negative was then scanned in at 4800 dpi creating a 176 meg image file. Its going to be printed at 24 inches and hung in the art wing at school.

For a return trip I'll use digital.

This is one of our old dirt track cars that is now just sitting to rot because they shut down the track. If I had the room it would be tempting to access if the thing was salvageable and make them a very lowball offer and haul it home. Its about 3/4 mile from my house.

You should really see the original file the color REALLY pops. The conversion to sRGB to post on the net really did dull it down some.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
4/30/09 10:36 a.m.

I like it, though I would like it more if you could have played with aperture and exposure or perhaps a different lens to take the background even more out of focus yet keep the focus on the car as is.

Damn, it's been 17 years since my college photography class and I can't recall how to make what I described above happen anymore. It's hell to get old. I guess I need to read up again and get the old 35mm film camera out to play with before I decide to drop some real money on a DSLR.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/09 10:52 a.m.

A larger aperature would make the field of focus narrower.

For the record I like it just like it is.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
4/30/09 11:09 a.m.

Oh I played around with it a bit more I have a nearly identical shot at 2.8 however it narrows the DOF on the image to the point the car becomes more soft and I did not want that. I would actually prefer to not have the buildings in the back at all (even blurred) however I am not one for altering the reality of my photos so the buildings stay. Though I may darken the one "bright" side that draws your eye through the cars window.

I could have used my 50mm 1.4 though I would not have gotten the aspect I was able to with the 35mm. On my digital I would need a 24mm lens to be the equivalent of the 35mm on the film.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
4/30/09 12:17 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: This is a photo I took for my photography class at school, Thought that you guys would appreciate it.

Dang, dude...you've got the eye! Can't wait to see the ones with the girls you were talking about on the other thread..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
095wvmm5O8jVs0c8NgK4U6gXokjTtzFLrDGwuo9EPUY1gjTd65ow3QctBIvoCO47