dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
7/30/20 8:33 a.m.

Hey all,

I read on their website that all official events have been canceled but that won't stop people from going out to cruise.  Think it's worth the drive up from Cincinnati?

Anyone still going or staying away this year?

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/30/20 9:47 a.m.

I might drive up there, but I only live 30 miles away. With all the official stuff closed, I'm not sure I'd make the 4-hour drive from Cincy. 

I wonder if Channel 7 will still dress their female reporters like bobbysoxsers and send them out to report on it? smiley

engiekev
engiekev Reader
7/30/20 9:48 a.m.

There are tons still going, there is a "unofficial woodward dream cruise" facebook event with thousands of attendees.

Note that the "official" events are all canceled by organizers and cities, and police will likely be cracking down on any parking lot parties.  So it will likely really just be a cruise this year.

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/30/20 10:05 a.m.

The cruise itself should be fine so long as you stay away from people.

The other stuff.....sounds like a good way to get COVID. /pass

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/30/20 12:14 p.m.
engiekev said:

There are tons still going, there is a "unofficial woodward dream cruise" facebook event with thousands of attendees.

Note that the "official" events are all canceled by organizers and cities, and police will likely be cracking down on any parking lot parties.  So it will likely really just be a cruise this year.

Honestly, it's probably going to be a lot like the early years, before all the corporate money got involved.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
7/30/20 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

I've only been once and that was last year. I didn't go to any of the organized events. I simply walked up and down the streets checking out all the parked cars and cars cruising.  

Was hoping some Michigan residents would give their opinion on turnout. I realize the governor there has been pretty aggressive with the large gatherings so just thought she might have police shutting things down and telling people to go home.

Thanks

wawazat
wawazat Dork
7/30/20 2:01 p.m.

Some already have.  Tom is a Michigander.  I’m a few miles from Woodward and enjoy the cruise and related activities.  Cars are out all weekend long though the local PD in Birmingham and Royal Oak have been closing parking lots and chasing off small groups of cruisers.  Bigger groups close to 14 Mile Rd they’ve seemed to give up chasing off.   I’ll be out and about like I am now.  Don’t know that I’d make the the road trip if I were you however as I don’t expect anywhere near the regular amount of cars this year compared to previous years.  

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/30/20 9:03 p.m.

I'm sure there will be people out there, but yeah hanging out at the curb will get you the "move along" treatment I bet. However they can't stop you from driving down the road or walking down the street, its all public space. So if you keep moving they legally cant say anything about it. (Total guess on my part.) I plan to be out there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8utMFimiYR3sRbhi62WVatu9VUfhVhbRpdjOGtjuA1UzBALvrrniqOHgvyMOb92z