1 ... 3 4 5 6
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
3/31/20 1:29 p.m.

From now on, this is how I'm gonna start a post on GRM:

 

"Hey all you cool cats and kittens..."

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
3/31/20 6:18 p.m.
trigun7469 said

Joshua Dial the only reasonable person, saying that Joe and Carol didn't care about the big cats, just stroking their egos. 

This was what I say. I also felt the most sorry for this dude as well. 

johndej
johndej HalfDork
4/4/20 9:58 a.m.

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/7/20 9:23 a.m.

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/7/20 9:30 a.m.

Guys paint cow like tiger for photo op. This is a definite win. 

 

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/7/20 11:45 a.m.

I've taken to yelling "That berkeleying bitch Carol Baskin" anytime anything goes wrong now. 

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/7/20 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E (Forum Supporter) :

So has my Son-in-law, and he hasn't even watched the series. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/7/20 7:19 p.m.

I am pleased to say I know nothing about this show.  

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/7/20 7:26 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

Its the equivalent of watching a train wreck full of tigers, meth, a gay country singer with two straight husbands, a florida man who was "allegedly" killed by his wife, the drug kingpin that Scarface was based off of, a sex cult leader with a Doctor of Mysticism, alligator arson, and a swinging Las Vegas con artist.

And its "based" on fact.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
4/7/20 8:32 p.m.
RossD said:

In reply to spitfirebill :

... a gay country singer with two straight husbands,... a sex cult leader ...

Those parts were pretty impressive...... 

jde
jde HalfDork
4/7/20 8:43 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Now they're saying Carole was sitting next to Britney Spears at the vmas one year, and she used doc antles tiger in a performance. E36 M3 gets weirder and weirder. Local connection- turns out my boss lady has been to the drug dealers reserve, has pics with his critters and all that ish. Homestead is a weird place. 

Not sure who they are, but Doc was on-stage tiger wrangling during the VMA performance.  Stories were going around last week with pics and screencaps.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/14/20 7:20 a.m.

So I am watching it finally and having read this article I am not really sure I want to finish it anymore. https://www.outsideonline.com/2411410/tiger-king-takedown-big-cat-industry?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I mean Carol Baskin maybe a little nutty and may have killed her husband but at the same time she is actually working to save big cats unlike the other people in the show.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/14/20 7:29 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

The way I see it is, Carol is part of the problem and isnt actually helping with a solution at all. She is doing an allusion of helping so she doesnt have to pay her volunteer workers. 

Taking a step back. Are we trying to save a species? Well everyone on the show seems to want more tigers. Is paying for petting cubs any different than paying to see tigers in a cage? Not in my eyes.

Certainly raises a bunch.more questions. I still think Carol is a greedy person that just happens to like tigers. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/14/20 9:02 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

So I am watching it finally and having read this article I am not really sure I want to finish it anymore. https://www.outsideonline.com/2411410/tiger-king-takedown-big-cat-industry?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I mean Carol Baskin maybe a little nutty and may have killed her husband but at the same time she is actually working to save big cats unlike the other people in the show.

How so?

If she really wanted to save the Tigers, why didn't she fight to get Joe Exotic's tigers and put them in her cages (think about that for a second) instead of wiping out the few financial resources he has, forcing him to sell the park to someone who is just going to profiteer off the animals as well?

The point being, they all seem like terrible human beings.

 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/14/20 9:26 a.m.

I had a question the other night. My understanding tigers are an endangered species. Somehow though, Joe and the tiger gang seem to be rolling in Cubs like they're chicken nuggets. Like a viable source of income for Joe was just making more tigers. What. I missing? Disney celebrates when the tigers at animal kingdom have Cubs. These chuckies shoot the damn things when they aren't cute anymore or have too many. 

 

Now I get that none of the tigers any of the people in this show are fit for return to the wild. That's not to say future generations of the couldn't be released if raised under the right conditions, right? How is it that a bunch of crazy rednecks are tripping over tigers and the rest of the breeding programs aren't? 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/14/20 9:40 a.m.
z31maniac said:
93EXCivic said:

So I am watching it finally and having read this article I am not really sure I want to finish it anymore. https://www.outsideonline.com/2411410/tiger-king-takedown-big-cat-industry?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I mean Carol Baskin maybe a little nutty and may have killed her husband but at the same time she is actually working to save big cats unlike the other people in the show.

How so?

If she really wanted to save the Tigers, why didn't she fight to get Joe Exotic's tigers and put them in her cages (think about that for a second) instead of wiping out the few financial resources he has, forcing him to sell the park to someone who is just going to profiteer off the animals as well?

The point being, they all seem like terrible human beings.

 

That is fair. And yeah I mean she does seem like a E36 M3ty person but at the same time, I can't help but think that the laws that Baskins are pushing seem like good ideas and they are kind of just brushed away in the show. At least so far.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/14/20 12:02 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

I am pleased to say I know nothing about this show.  

I think this is a wise choice

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/14/20 12:10 p.m.

I don't think it's really difficult for zoos to breed tigers.  A Panda, for example, can be very difficult to breed.  
 

The primary issue does not seem to be, how do we make more tigers, but how do we keep a reasonably diverse genetic population, and take care of the one we have properly. 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/14/20 12:10 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

So I am watching it finally and having read this article I am not really sure I want to finish it anymore. https://www.outsideonline.com/2411410/tiger-king-takedown-big-cat-industry?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I mean Carol Baskin maybe a little nutty and may have killed her husband but at the same time she is actually working to save big cats unlike the other people in the show.

...and, a local tie in.  There was a private roadside zoo here in central FL that used the same breed and photo op model.  It has shut down after their tigers were transferred to a rescue facility.  

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/2020/04/01/dade-citys-wild-things-closes-amid-legal-fight-its-last-6-tigers-are-moved/

Before any of this became famous, they were investigated.  The owners knew that an inspection was coming, and they moved 19 tigers from Dade City to Joe Exotic's facility.  The owners had purchased two of their tigers from Joe Exotic. 

 

 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/14/20 7:12 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I had a question the other night. My understanding tigers are an endangered species. Somehow though, Joe and the tiger gang seem to be rolling in Cubs like they're chicken nuggets. Like a viable source of income for Joe was just making more tigers. What. I missing? Disney celebrates when the tigers at animal kingdom have Cubs. These chuckies shoot the damn things when they aren't cute anymore or have too many. 

 

Now I get that none of the tigers any of the people in this show are fit for return to the wild. That's not to say future generations of the couldn't be released if raised under the right conditions, right? How is it that a bunch of crazy rednecks are tripping over tigers and the rest of the breeding programs aren't? 

Where do you intend to put them? habitat loss is the biggest problem that wild tigers are facing.  

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/15/20 9:01 a.m.
johndej said:

 

I still think Joe >> Garth Brooks. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
4/15/20 9:22 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Joke's on you. Joe Exotic is another alter ego for Garth Brooks.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/15/20 9:41 a.m.
FuzzWuzzy said:

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Joke's on you. Joe Exotic is another alter ego for Garth Brooks.

This seems entirely possible. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
4/15/20 10:40 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:
FuzzWuzzy said:

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Joke's on you. Joe Exotic is another alter ego for Garth Brooks.

This seems entirely possible. 

Except for the fact that it's come out that Joe Exotic doesn't actually sing the songs- someone else/another group does and he just sings softly over the top of the track from what I read.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/15/20 12:03 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:
 

Except for the fact that it's come out that Joe Exotic doesn't actually sing the songs- someone else/another group does and he just sings softly over the top of the track from what I read.

I am completely fine with that and I can almost assume I would rather listen to actual Joe Exotic over Garth.

1 ... 3 4 5 6
Our Preferred Partners
lK2ou2wUCnlOddYPxISMyoA2Idj73xhRpXSPJe87JG7oeDRIabR8oo0nF9D9VJmU