1 2 3 4 5
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/21 5:48 p.m.

If you get propofol, it will be the best medicine buzz you ever have in your life... for 30 seconds. Then you're out.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/21 6:30 p.m.

I had my first one in my early 40's when I realized that my plumbing apparently wasn't "normal" - I had no idea, it's just the way I was. 

When I met my doc for the pre-op she said "Well the good news is I can almost guarantee you don't have cancer, or you'd have been dead years ago".

Had my 2nd one this year, different doc/hospital, but they were all great. Apparently it was a literal in-and-out job, because it took less than 20-minutes, and at least 10 of them were waiting in the procedure room for the doc to arrive. 

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/21/21 6:48 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I had a two shot that day - scope from top and bottom.  I was asleep - all was easy.  Take care of yourself.  

I had the same in Feb. of 2020 because of some ongoing, umm, digestive issues shall we say. A family history of gall bladder problems had us expecting that to be the issue, but the scopes showed cilia damage in my small intestines instead. That's when I found out at age 37 that I've got Celiac disease. As much as that sucks (I do really miss good beer), it happily made a lot of things click into place and could have been a lot worse (like the big C!). Really, the worst part is the prep diet, but totally worth it to know what's going on in there. So if you're at all worried about your digestive health, don't wait! 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
12/21/21 7:23 p.m.

I have Crohn's.  They are part of my life.  The hype is so much worse than the reality.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/21/21 7:30 p.m.

And you get photos, too. Or at least I did. (Photos of my insides....) 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/21/21 7:44 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

I have Crohn's.  They are part of my life.  The hype is so much worse than the reality.

There is one pretty miserable part of having one done- you get REALLY cold.  Drinking a lot of room temp water will quickly lower your core temp, and I really hated that part of the process.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/21/21 7:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Did you include them on your Christmas card?  

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/21 8:01 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

While I am ok with getting the real thing, when my doctor mentioned the "mail your poop across the country" test I was just enthralled with the idea!

Honestly,  the thought of that going somewhere and being analyzed was so appealing. My wife, having been subjected to so many similar ideas through the years, only sighed and rolled her eyes. I do want a real one though so I can experience the "fart room." My wife is less excited about this than I am for some reason. 

For real, everyone get over your fear or embarrassment. It doesn't hurt and very treatable when found early.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/21 8:11 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Oh, not related to a colonscopy but my wife had to swallow a camera. Yeah, the pictures looked like the ones from comet landings. Who knew?

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
12/21/21 8:23 p.m.

I had both upper and lower G.I. scopes earlier this year. It is a very enjoyable and restful nap. Mine was originally scheduled for April 2020, but was postponed when the hospital stopped elective procedures. I have been getting them since my early 40s because of a health condition.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/21/21 8:36 p.m.

So we're 'scope bros? Had mine on Friday also. 5 year return period. Hope you got the maximum as well...

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/21/21 8:47 p.m.

My MIL died of colon cancer. She was the closest I ever got to actually having a mom of my own, and I have only been half joking when I would tell my wife that I married her for her mother.

Get scoped. It's not that bad, as David said, compared to the alternative.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/21 10:27 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

My friend's doctor was able to show him his undigested daily multi-vitamin!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
12/21/21 10:33 p.m.

I really think that the worst part for me was living in absolute fear of the car ride from my house to the hospital. 

It seemed like that second  bottle of stuff was just them being mean. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/21/21 10:48 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I really think that the worst part for me was living in absolute fear of the car ride from my house to the hospital. 

Yeah, it was nearly 30 minutes from home to the surgery center. But they had me start the "day of" prep at 4:00 in the morning for a 9:00 arrival, so I was fine. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/22/21 1:18 a.m.

Me too, I've had 8-10 of them in the last 15 years (lost count a while ago).  2 days off work, one of which is annoying because you're hungry and not really allowed to eat anything.  The biggest complaint I had was the disgusting taste of the old phosphosoda prep solution, but they don't use that any more (does bad things to your kidneys) and the miralax prep has almost zero taste.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/22/21 1:20 a.m.
stuart in mn said:
Datsun310Guy said:

I had a two shot that day - scope from top and bottom.   

Did they meet in the middle?  smiley

I know it's not a serious question, but no. :)   AIUI it's actually pretty hard to get a camera into the small intestine because it's not rigidly attached to anything so it tends to just flop around.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
12/22/21 4:39 a.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I had both ends done at the same time too. My doctor said that there's about a 20 foot section in the middle that they can't get to. 

It' sort of like the dark side of the moon. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
12/22/21 6:03 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

Me too, I've had 8-10 of them in the last 15 years (lost count a while ago).  2 days off work, one of which is annoying because you're hungry and not really allowed to eat anything.  The biggest complaint I had was the disgusting taste of the old phosphosoda prep solution, but they don't use that any more (does bad things to your kidneys) and the miralax prep has almost zero taste.

I don't start prep until after lunch the day before (though I do follow the liquid diet part).  Like you said, miralax is tasteless and works gently, as they say in the ads.  I work from home, so no 2 days off work for me...sad trombone.

Modern meds are amazing.  I'm basically in long term remission...knock on wood.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
12/22/21 10:31 a.m.

I'm coming up on my 6 year cancer anniversary which means I'm due for another scope. My original cancer diagnosis only happened because my family doctor took advantage of me seeing her, for an unrelated issue, and sent me for a whole bunch of tests. She generally wouldn't have done this before my 50th birthday but since she hadn't seen me in several years she went ahead and sent me early. I had blood work, a stress test and a colonoscopy. They found the tumor and I had a section of my intestine removed the following week. I never had any symptoms. 

Get the scope done.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/22/21 11:11 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

This was the hilarious part. I had to take the better half to one at the beginning of last year, RA + weird abdominal pain + negative on the CT scan meant she had to get it from both sides on the same trip.

She was still coming out of sedation when she saw there were pics. That brought her an amount of joy that was hysterical, "Buddy look, look! Those are from inside my butt!"

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/22/21 12:34 p.m.

The notice from the gastro intestinal unit is hanging on the fridge. I need to phone and make the appointment.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/22/21 1:36 p.m.

We got a goofy guy at work that started the prep while at work.   A few of us are like, dude, you need to go home.   

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
12/29/21 8:57 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

The notice from the gastro intestinal unit is hanging on the fridge. I need to phone and make the appointment.

Not to be nosy, but when is your appointment?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/29/21 4:17 p.m.
KyAllroad said:

The new sedation they use (as opposed to what they used 10 years ago) is pretty awesome.   I took a nice nap and woke up feeling refreshed and alert.  Last time I was a zombie who lost a day.

It was that old sedation (Versed + fentanyl) that I loved.  I was in Lala land the rest of the day.  Now they use propofol and when I wake up I'm ready to go.  I get my next colonoscopy next fall.  

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8LO4s2ATXBhGoqvFLG5iMCwINu9GmWzKZhzOMCBBu2JxG5B8B0TmLfDNN910jCVY