1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/10 3:01 p.m.

Decided to get rid of the odd-sized and expensive tires on my wife's car, and go with simple 14" steelies. Comparing the two online sources, same tire, mounted and balanced, with covers, shipped to my door = $3 price difference with the advantage going to Tire Rack.

Once I got the confirmation, I realized I was also getting lug nuts and road hazard coverage for that price. Both would have cost even more with Discount, making the difference almost $70.

I have had great service from DTD in the past when ordering Falkens, but on this day, on this deal, Tire Rack was the winner.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/16/10 3:08 p.m.

I have bought from both. Both are or have been advertisers in The Mag (a major shopping criteria for me). In the past, DTD has beat TR by a couple bucks. I really like the fact that shipping costs are included in the price quote. TR has had tires/sizes I needed that DTD didn't have. Both have been good businesses to deal with in my experience.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
12/16/10 3:15 p.m.

I've bought from both. I've had pretty good luck with both companies.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
12/16/10 3:24 p.m.

purchasing I've used both, I tend to lean to TR morebecause of our corporate account. Installing? DT will NEVER see another vehicle of mine.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Reader
12/16/10 3:31 p.m.

I have the advantage of mounting my own tires, so TireRack wins every time with me. They are a major sponsor of all my favorite forums/magazines plus excellent customer service too.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
12/16/10 3:40 p.m.

TR4LIFE

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/16/10 6:48 p.m.

I've bought from both. I typically go with Tire Rack though. Their continued support of SCCA Autocross makes it an easy decision.

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
12/16/10 8:39 p.m.

The last time that I needed a tire in a hurry, DT had the tire for the MS6 in stock while it was going to be a week or more for TR. DT didnt have any tires for the Lotus so I went with TR. All I can say is check them both and get the best deal. Both have good to deal with.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
12/16/10 8:51 p.m.

TR because of my corporate account.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
12/16/10 9:23 p.m.

The local place was quicker and cheaper than both last time - just sayin, don't ignore the little guys.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
12/16/10 9:29 p.m.

I have consistently had better luck at Discount Tire and it's not just because you can go to your local Discount Tire and they will match the online price so I don't have to wait or pay shipping and installation is much cheaper than the TR installers.

Nope, it's Discount Tire consistently gets the order right. I have never gotten a completely right order from TR.

But then sometimes it comes down to which company offers the tires you're wanting to buy.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
12/16/10 9:41 p.m.

I ordered my NT01's from DTD. Awesome service and speed, free shipping on them at that time, great price.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
12/16/10 9:55 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: The local place was quicker and cheaper than both last time - just sayin, don't ignore the little guys.

This was my recent experience too. Having said that I've been very satisfied with TireRack & Discount Tire in the past.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/16/10 10:35 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Nope, it's Discount Tire consistently gets the order right. I have never gotten a completely right order from TR.

...and I've had probably 25 orders +/- from Tire Rack, and they only made a mistake on one, which they had fixed within 24 hours. :shrug:

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
12/16/10 10:36 p.m.

My local TR installer is OK, but their price is higher then giraffe nuts. Good thing, I can goto the dealership and install them myself for a greased palm.

The last set of tires I actively purchased were a set of Nitto's for the wife's Avalanche. I got them from DTD shipped free and for way less then anyone else.

Brian

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
12/17/10 5:41 a.m.

Dear Tire Rack: Why don't you carry Toyos? Only two spec classes all over the country specifically use them, and it would be nice to buy them from someone at a decent price. Thank you.

--potential customer

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/17/10 5:45 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: Dear Tire Rack: Why don't you carry Toyos? Only two spec classes all over the country specifically use them, and it would be nice to buy them from someone at a decent price. Thank you. --potential customer

+1.

And in my case, add in the fact that Toyo is the only company that makes a decent street tire in my size(s) anymore.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/10 7:42 a.m.

TR had a survey about where you heard about them, and of course I checked GRM, although I am pretty sure that I was simply born with the knowledge.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/10 7:57 a.m.

DTD for me as I prefer Falken's and TR refuses to carry them. We also have a DTD store in town that will match the online price and free installation. I've ordered 5 full sets of tires in the last 2.5 years from them and always had my order 100% correct with great customer service.

I tried TR once this year. Website claimed they were in stock. Turns out they weren't (ever) in stock. After waiting 6 months (and getting an "update" call every month) I gave up and canceled the order.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
12/17/10 8:12 a.m.

I got a couple sets of Falkens from Vulcan Tire. They were cheaper for me.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/17/10 8:41 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: Dear Tire Rack: Why don't you carry Toyos? Only two spec classes all over the country specifically use them, and it would be nice to buy them from someone at a decent price. Thank you. --potential customer

ditto

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
12/17/10 9:17 a.m.
Javelin wrote: I tried TR once this year. Website claimed they were in stock. Turns out they weren't (ever) in stock. After waiting 6 months (and getting an "update" call every month) I gave up and canceled the order.

That mirrors ONE of my TR experiences. The best one!

It's worse when they send the wrong stuff and you have to send it back to them. Or when they send an incomplete order or when they lie to you about rim colors.

Trust is like a bubble, once it's busted you can't put it back together.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/17/10 9:32 a.m.

I'm going to put in a plug for TR for two reasons:

1- My uncle works there, ask for Lee Moore. I think his extension is 632. He can't really give discounts since they are rock bottom to start with. He gave me a set of BFGs at cost once and it saved me a whopping $7 per tire. What he can do sometimes is toss in a free road hazard warranty or something.

2- TR maintains a complete fleet of vehicles including BMWs ranging from 3-7 series, X5s, plus a couple Cummins duallys, some C6 Z06s, etc. At least one day a week they hold autocross and rally-type testing. All of the salesmen are pretty hardcore racers and they are all required to test darn near every tire. They'll outfit all 7 of their identical bimmers with 7 different tires and march the salesmen out to drive each one and compare. They have on-site dirt tracks and autocross lots plus they each get long-term demos. They KNOW tires.

I've used DTD since TR doesn't have a couple brands and I've been very happy with them, but there is very little experience there. If you know what you want and just need to give them a part number its great, but if you need an opinion or some real actual advice, TR wins hands down for me.

If you talk to Lee, tell him that his nephew Curtis told you to call. He's a long-time corvette racer but he's getting too old for that kinda stuff. He just traded his last (heavily modified) C5 for a 2001 7-series.

< /shameless plug >

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/17/10 9:48 a.m.
Dear Tire Rack: Why don't you carry Toyos? Only two spec classes all over the country specifically use them, and it would be nice to buy them from someone at a decent price. Thank you. --potential customer
Dear potential customer: We are currently in negotiations (for the last 5 years) with Toyo to begin providing you with their excellent products. Unfortunately we currently sell Nitto tires which is Toyo's sister company. Getting permission to sell Toyo tires means putting both companies in direct competition from the same supplier. We have attempted many times to tell Toyo to shove that excuse up their ass, but they seem to think that its a wise marketing move. I said, "that E36 M3 might work in Japan, Mr Takagi, but here in the United States of Wal-Mart we like to get everything from axle lube to K-Y lube at the same place." Sincerely, an unofficial rogue tire rack representative

My best friend is married to one of Takagi's Neices. She recently left Toyo, but there for a while it sure was nice getting $25 Proxes R888s

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/10 9:49 a.m.

i got a bad set of tires from one of them, won't tell you who. 3 out of the 4 took over 12 oz to balance! they comp'd return shipping and sent me a new set from a different date code.

can't really hate on 'em for that. the tire mfgr should've caught the issue before they left the plant.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nLYwL5gXVQefpZgW7c8DEiRZSFgzxPULr9saLigytsIpzUbFFkzZR5U7x606qgE2