alex Dork
8/17/10 6:15 p.m.

I'm looking at an... old car (a guy's gotta have his secrets) from GA, which I'm told doesn't issue titles for cars older than 1985. Does anybody have any experience titling a car from a non-title state? Obviously this will vary greatly depending on the state it's coming to (MO, for the record), but if anybody has any insight that will save me from calling the DMV, I'd appreciate it.

grouperalley GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/17/10 8:02 p.m.

my experience is to go to your dmv. In florida i went to mine they ask the state it was coming from, and year, they accessed a data base a told me what needed to be done. in that case from al to fl need a notarized bill of sale if old enough, but when it came to fl they would check the vin.. But the girl,who was very helpful, said they had all different rules by state including no go at all. She also pointed out to me there was still a risk that for example if the vin showed it registered/stolen in new york, a bill of sale from alabama wouldn't magically clean up the title. so prior to purchase i ask them to run the vin, it didn't show on the data base so it was ok to bring in from alabama, with a bill of sale

wcelliot Reader
8/17/10 9:21 p.m.

Ditto here... they DMV has a book (and WILL check). I'd definitely get a notarized bill of sale from any non-title state....

Knurled Reader
8/17/10 10:16 p.m.

The bureau in question will know what to do. They've probably done this a time or two

Without a doubt, get a notarized bill of sale.

That said... about ten years ago, I bought a '76 Ford (Thunderbird, not Capri) and the soon-to-be-PO had a Georgia title.

PS - Irish brogue mixed with Georgia drawl makes for a strange accent.

Our Preferred Partners