1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 ... 213
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/28/20 2:56 p.m.

People DON'T  like Necco wafers? Who knew?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/28/20 5:31 p.m.

TIL that Kathleen Quinlan played Marilyn Lovell in Apollo 13.  I had always thought it was Rita Wilson.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/28/20 6:53 p.m.

Swapping from one brand of Miata coilovers to another is approximately ONE BILLION times easier than swapping from factory mile long dampers to anything better.

Also that VMaxx coilovers need to be dialed up to their highest setting on the front.   Crazy low low they can go!

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/28/20 6:58 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:

Also that VMaxx coilovers need to be dialed up to their highest setting on the front.   Crazy low low they can go!

Yeah, my fronts were as high as they would go and the highest point of the front wheel wells was still only 23" high

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/28/20 6:59 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Mndsm said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Til necco wafers were discontinued. 

They stopped making them in 1958.  Everything you've seen in the candy/gum aisle is old stock.

That's why they taste like flavorless Tums.

Also explains why there was always some in my bag when i trick or treated the old people places. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/29/20 10:38 a.m.

TIL that we get Friday off for the 4th- something I should have realized way sooner, but just didn't think about with our 9/80 work week split. So yay for 3 Fridays in a row off! Maybe the weather will be nice enough to run up to see if there's anything worthwhile still on the 330Ci that showed up at a (relatively) nearby junkyard a few weeks back).

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/30/20 1:18 p.m.

today I learned the lawnmower will climb hedges if it wants to, and does a decent trim job in the process. I also decided I'm getting a little too good at shutting it down when it's on end.

The blades are on the deck lever, to shut them off you have to raise the deck. The clutch and brake are on the same pedal, the right side unfortunately, and there's no real slip to it. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/20 9:12 p.m.

Someone entered a Mini at Darlington in the late 60s in  a support race before the Southern 500.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/1/20 1:09 p.m.

I'll see  your NASCAR Mini and raise you a NASCAR Jag.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/1/20 1:29 p.m.

TIL that RevRico needs an appropriate battery tie-down on his lawnmower battery.

Oh wait....

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/1/20 2:09 p.m.

I knew about the NASCAR Jag but the Mini is new to me.  That looks like a terrifying speed/size differential.  It reminds me of the time that I ran a race where the sanctioning body had big bore and small bore on track at the same time.  Every time I came thundering up behind a bug eye Sprite in my Camaro I worried that they wouldn't know I was there.  The speed differential had to be over 60MPH on some parts off the track.  As unsettling as that was for me, I'm sure it was worse for them.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/1/20 2:52 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

When the bungee chord gives up, I have an angle iron/all thread mount built. The bungee was temporary to test starters because cheap battery doesn't fit in stock location, but we all know how temporary fixes wind up.

I would like to get it to quit wheelying though. Might have to take the tire chains off or finish my snow plow mount.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
7/2/20 8:46 a.m.

TIL that Mike Evans (Lionel Jefferson) was co-creator and writer of Good times

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/2/20 9:09 a.m.
Appleseed said:

What I don't understand is how someone took a Tums tablet and said "hay this taste good let's make a candy like this".  And the necco wafer was born. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/2/20 9:15 a.m.
dean1484 said:
Appleseed said:

What I don't understand is how someone took a Tums tablet and said "hay this taste good let's make a candy like this".  And the necco wafer was born. 

I'm going to come right out and say it - TUMS tablets actually taste better than Necco wafers.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/2/20 9:20 a.m.

Nope -it wasn't Tums, maybe chalk.

In 1847 candy science wasn't that advanced.  Thomas Edison was eating Necco wafers at his desk as he was analyzing his bulb failures.   

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/20 9:28 a.m.

TIL I need to hoard Necco Wafers...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/2/20 9:49 a.m.
Peabody said:

TIL that Mike Evans (Lionel Jefferson) was co-creator and writer of Good times

Interesting.

I was actually thinking about him yesterday when I heard a Lionel Hampton song on Sirius XM 40's Junction. I remembered an episode of the Jeffersons when Weezie said that her son was named after Lionel Hampton.

And wasn't the family named Evans on Good Times?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/2/20 10:12 a.m.
dean1484 said:
Appleseed said:

I have eaten am entire bottle of tropical Tums because it was the only thing in the work truck. You see where my tastes lie.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
7/2/20 10:31 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

Yup.

There are a few interesting stories about that show. It was supposed to be a more serious sitcom,  starring Esther Rolle and John Amos, a pretty big name then,  showing the plight of a black family living in the projects. But the Jimmie Walker character took off and the show became more about him. Apparently nobody on the show was happy about that.

The tarty neighbour Willona is the woman who sang the Jefferson's theme song.

The teen heartthrob thing was going strong then and the studio tried to capitalize on it and made an album with the little brother (Michael) but it never took off.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/2/20 11:03 a.m.
Appleseed said:
dean1484 said:
Appleseed said:

I have eaten am entire bottle of tropical Tums because it was the only thing in the work truck. You see where my tastes lie.

Did you then have to eat a bowl of hot peppers to settle your stomach?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/2/20 1:04 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Appleseed said:
dean1484 said:
Appleseed said:

Did you then have to eat a bowl of hot peppers to settle your stomach?

Back in the early days of me on the rescue truck, we were dispatched for a girl who overdosed on Benedryl. On the way to the scene, I asked the paramedic,  "What we give for a Benedryl overdose?"

He said, "Ragweed".

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/6/20 12:44 p.m.

TIL that my great-uncle may have played some sort of classified role in the Iran-Contra affair. He had been a Marine in WWII, then went on to a career as an air traffic controller. During the mid 1980s he made a number of trips to Venezuela for "work" and when his sister (my grandmother on my father's side) would ask him why his job as local air traffic controller in upstate New York required him to go to Central America he would never answer. He also apparently knew Eugene Hasenfus, Caspar Weinberger and other members of Reagan's cabinet. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/6/20 3:17 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

In that same timeframe, my neighbor was Pat Foley, who was co-owner of Summit Aviation and who flew 747 cargo jets for Flying Tigers, the CIA's covert cargo / airline.

Interesting stuff.

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/6/20 3:33 p.m.

TIL one of the Icy Hot Stuntaz went solo and makes Christian rap now. 

1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5jCfeSdXrGYD2wgfRFxXgvToB0vmPppv2hdfTFHuRDKpckcLGx2jNucyOkCFnC3y