1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 ... 213
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/6/20 7:46 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to NickD :

In that same timeframe, my neighbor was Pat Foley, who was co-owner of Summit Aviation and who flew 747 cargo jets for Flying Tigers, the CIA's covert cargo / airline.

Interesting stuff.

Tigers? I thought that was Air America?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/6/20 8:05 p.m.

TIL I should've moved to Detroit and gotten into the car business when I got out of college in 1985.  I got excited seeing a disguised truck today and it reminded me why I've always liked Detroit.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/7/20 7:52 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Both.  Flying Tiger Line did a ton of covert delivery of both people and material for the CIA.

And my neighbor taught these guys how to do ground attack by flying strafing runs over my house:

Summit Sentry, converted from O2-337 airframes by Summit Aviation for ground attack duty, with machine guns and NATO hardpoints for rockets or small bombs.  That one is wearing Thai markings but Summit sold a batch of them to Nicaragua, and trained the Nicaraguans how to use them.  By flying over my house at extremely low levels, in groups of 2-4.

Foley's majority partner in Summit was Kippy DuPont, also an... interesting man with... interesting political ideas.  The "top ex(?)-CIA operative" in that link was my neighbor Pat Foley.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/20 5:26 p.m.

Watching the kid across the street today:

TIL what happens if you hit a pile of dog E36 M3 with a weed eater.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/20 5:29 p.m.

TI (also) L  

The importance of keeping ones mouth closed when using a weed eater.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/20 5:34 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Suddenly, having to wear a face mask seems like a good idea for reasons other than Covid.

Ran into that the other day, rust rained down on me when I was working, and a lightbulb went off.  "Hey cool, now I'm not going to be hacking like a cat trying to release a hairball all day"

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/13/20 10:05 a.m.

1. My cheap Apeman action cam works in the dishwasher, at least if it's in its waterproof case.   

2.  The video is much better if you put a HF blue light, protected inside a zip-lock freezer bag, inside the dishwasher with it.

3.  Even hot, steamy plate-on-plate dishwasher action video gets old after a while.  But it does answer some questions about how your dishwasher works, or doesn't.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/13/20 10:21 a.m.
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) said:

1. My cheap Apeman action cam works in the dishwasher, at least if it's in its waterproof case.   

2.  The video is much better if you put a HF blue light, protected inside a zip-lock freezer bag, inside the dishwasher with it.

3.  Even hot, steamy plate-on-plate dishwasher action video gets old after a while.  But it does answer some questions about how your dishwasher works, or doesn't.

Were you high or bored to come up with this idea?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/13/20 11:04 a.m.

TIL if you drive a 2015 Chevy Spark like a normal GRM person you can put it in limp home mode within half a mile.  My niece wasn't amused.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/13/20 11:34 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) said:

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/13/20 12:58 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:

Lazy. 

I don't want to wash dishes by hand.   

It's in my best interest to figure out what the problem is.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/21/20 8:50 a.m.

In reply to slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) :

I finally have a dishwasher that actually works, for the first time in my 33 years. I'm far to impatient to use it versus hand washing.

Today I learned hand vacuum pumps SUCK when you're trying to pull vacuum in a 1.5 gallon container. I got to 22.5" mercury before my arm gave out, guess that's gonna have to be good enough.

Edit: it worked, just 5 minutes of resting instead of 2

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/21/20 7:34 p.m.

TIL that somebody in my neighborhood has a Plymouth Prowler.  What I didn't learn is what do they keep in the 2-car garage that means the Prowler stays outside with a car cover over it.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
7/24/20 3:23 p.m.

TIL that adults who make Minecraft videos may be the strangest breed of homo sapiens.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/20 8:50 p.m.

TIL that it is possible to open up the holes in some 100# cast iron tractor weights from 3/4" to 1" with a drill bit, lube and a 1/2 inch chuck hand held drill.  Holes were probably about 2" deep.   Leaves an impressive pile of chips.

Progress runs only slightly faster than attempting to cut down an osage orange hedge tree with a corn knife, in that you will actually accomplish the job [around where my parents grew up, osage orange fence posts were characterized as "strong as steel, lasts twice as long as stone"]. 

Probably spent the money I saved finding older, used weights on the drill bit.

I'd also recommend doing this somewhere that the heat index is running less than the upper 90s.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/28/20 9:01 p.m.

TIL that I like Marmite.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/29/20 10:32 a.m.
Duke said:

TIL that somebody in my neighborhood has a Plymouth Prowler.  What I didn't learn is what do they keep in the 2-car garage that means the Prowler stays outside with a car cover over it.

TIL that the Prowler owner seems to have been a Gary Johnson Libertarian in 2016.

wae
wae UltraDork
7/30/20 9:13 p.m.

TIL that the $20 Irwin charges for their 5-piece bolt extractor set is way too low.  It took the rounded-out rusted-up nuts on the 454's EGR valve off like it was nothing.  If I would have paid 10x that I would not be unhappy right now.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/6/20 4:35 p.m.

TIL that if the gas station you're at doesn't have your two usual picks of drinks (non-diet Dr. Pepper or Barq's) a mix of 2/3 Ale8-1 and 1/3 Mug Root Beer is and acceptable (though admittedly kind of weird) substitute that is both tasty and caffeinated. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/6/20 6:04 p.m.

In reply to slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) :

Put it in the fridge so you can see the little man walk out from the rear compartment and turn off the light when you close the door.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/20 12:38 p.m.

TIL I don't need to be on the Facebook enablers group because if something comes up there for me at least 3 GRMers will text me with it. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/7/20 12:40 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

You're welcome 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/7/20 12:44 p.m.

TIL that new edge mustangs can have collector plates in Wisconsin.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/7/20 12:50 p.m.
RossD said:

TIL that new edge mustangs can have collector plates in Wisconsin.

AfewyearsagoIL that other people have a different idea of what a collector plate means.  I've seen all sorts of new vehicles with collector plates since they were introduced here.  Seems like they are missing the point.  Or maybe they collect teacups.

G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter)
G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/7/20 12:52 p.m.

TIL that one person can't consume an entire Taco Bell party pack in one sitting

1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fVpxD5HwumX7EUWWUczkWjVKGlMxnOMuyW9UHEGAmoCxoGQ4safbNCERsRldcEdH