1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 ... 213
NickD
NickD UltimaDork
8/11/20 10:46 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I have an uncle, John, who is 70, overweight, has one completely destroyed knee and 25% heart function, and owns a skateboard he has never ridden. My aunt, who is a sword-wielding karate badass who was a combat marine in Vietnam and knows Chuck Norris, asked him why he has that skateboard and why doesn't he get rid of it. His response was "one day he'd like to learn how to ride". Her response was, "John, honey, no offense, but I think your days of skateboarding are long passed."

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/20 11:21 a.m.

When I was 19, a bunch of buddies started skating. I didn't.  I knew better. Instead, I learned how to fly. When you weigh potential hospital bills verses flight costs, it's break even. And aviation does bring all the girls to the yard. And those who hate flying? You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/20 4:53 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

So I need to practice more often?  Got it. It wasn't a total loss. I didn't hurt when I got up and they're still laughing. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/11/20 4:54 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

He's still got one knee, it may work.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
8/11/20 5:59 p.m.

I went on a run today and saw an empty can of Bud Light Lime tossed on the roadside. TIL that people actually drink Bud Light Lime. smiley

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/20 6:16 p.m.

In reply to eastpark :

But maybe it was full when they tossed it out?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/11/20 6:35 p.m.

TIL that dereche means, "Windy, just like Saskatchewan is all the time."

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/20 8:34 p.m.

In reply to eastpark :

I like it in the can.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/20 9:31 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

TIL that dereche means, "Windy, just like Saskatchewan is all the time."

I learned that my brain reassembled dereche into drencho, and I never noticed.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/13/20 10:34 p.m.

TIL how loud a fart has to be on a conference call to switch the audio feed over to me blush

Tiwi
Tiwi New Reader
8/14/20 5:59 a.m.

TIL that mixing milk, oranges and fried fish might be really bad for my stomach no

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/20 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Tiwi :

That sounds more fun than the time I ate a bowl of sauerkraut, horseradish, and tobasco.

Well, two bowls.  It was gooood.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/15/20 6:50 a.m.

My cousin seems to have set up a second Facebook account for things he doesn't want his wife to know he's doing. It showed up in my feed as well as my sister's and brother's as someone we might know. This will be fun to watch. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/20 4:34 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

My cousin seems to have set up a second Facebook account for things he doesn't want his wife to know he's doing. It showed up in my feed as well as my sister's and brother's as someone we might know. This will be fun to watch. 

TIL not to set up my alter egos Facebook page. laugh

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/20 4:42 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Those of you that are still coordinated enough to skateboard, of song fat giggling idiot comes along and asks to try it please say no.  It's best for everyone.  

Before anyone feels the urge to send hate mail or advice I'm not trying to meet someone new, but I have been spending some time with someone I know that recently lost their husband and it's nice to talk to someone in a similar position. Nothing serious, no major life changes, just two people that talk to much.

Wally. You have no idea how happy I am for you!!!  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/15/20 11:21 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Thank You, while things aren't going great they're definitely more ok than they were. I am making an effort to stay busy to keep my mind off things. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
8/15/20 11:50 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

just because your dog's name is Ollie, does not make you a skater.

also, i got the respect of the skater kid across the street when i cracked about a 6" ollie last summer (at age 52).  minor confession: i still have my early-90's vert board and i ollie 3-4x/yr just to make sure i can still do it. 

Be careful, I kept pulling my board out and messing around with it occasionally.    One day i was in my garage with the big door down because it was raining, doing 360's and went down.... hard. And was home alone.    Now I only do stupid things like that outside where someone would see/find me. I was a top BMXer for years, still ride, wear protective equipment EVERY time. Can still bunny hop, manual, etc. but stopped grinding when I was about 50 YO after going over the bars 3 times one night and landing on concrete while out street riding. I'm 62 now. BMX 4 LIFE.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/16/20 1:09 a.m.

For those that are thinking of mid life crisis skateboarding, do bmx instead. It's marginally safer. 

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/16/20 2:28 a.m.

Just figured out the coil mount situation for my stupid 97-98 perimeter bolt LS1 valve covers. Turns out those motors didn't use brackets, they literally just bolt the coils directly to the bosses on the valve cover. So I just need to buy coils for an early Corvette. Looks like those are readily available for a reasonable price and this also means I can more than likely just buy off the shelf plug wires too depending on how nice they want to play with the headers I'm planning on using in the GTA. This does mean more expense but it's just the cost of new coils, which probably isn't a terrible idea anyway, and it means I don't have to do any fab work like I was expecting to have to do.

wae
wae UltraDork
8/16/20 8:01 a.m.

TIL: MotoGP racing is something I might need to start watching.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/16/20 10:29 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Yes. Yes you should. Once you get to the point of watching the Isle of Mann TT, abandon all hope, there's no turning back. 

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
8/17/20 3:34 p.m.

You know how every time you go to WM to buy a storage bin because you need one, and there's a helpful sign that says, "Don't forget the lid!!" so you buy the lid too because you're not an idiot?  Well, TIL that we currently have at least 9 (count 'em) bin lids, in assorted sizes, not currently attached to or required by any bin I can find.  This is weird.  If the house was going to be a galactic nexus for wandering objects, why couldn't they be 10mm sockets so I could sell them and make a vast fortune?

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
8/20/20 2:26 p.m.

TIL I learned that Guillermo Del Toro is making a Pinocchio film set during the rise of Mussolini's fascism in Italy and will be starring Ewan McGregor, Christoph Waltz, John Turturro, Tilda Swinton, Cate Blanchett and Ron Perlman. I'm sure, being a Guillermo Del Toro film, it will be really cool to look at it, most likely horrifying and most certainly absolutely batE36 M3 insane.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/20/20 2:40 p.m.
Mndsm said:

For those that are thinking of mid life crisis skateboarding, do bmx instead. It's marginally safer. 

At 32 I'm hesitant to really start skating in earnest again. Super intrigued by trials bike stuff, which appears at least to be way lower impact. Price of admission is high though. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/20 3:02 p.m.
barefootskater said:
Mndsm said:

At 32 I'm hesitant to really start skating in earnest again. Super intrigued by trials bike stuff, which appears at least to be way lower impact. Price of admission is high though. 

That kind of riding is why I stopped biking.  Harsh on the joints.

The guys who are good at it make it look smooth and fluid because they're really good

1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ptI9XpFL7GCoBlB3zMjNiuiOJqq5pFTzzLqc3E1jVBWwn7W2sQyEjZ25ql1qcDi3