1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 ... 213
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/7/20 10:31 p.m.

Today I discovered Google fit thinks 2nd gear on the tractor is brisk walking.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/11/20 10:18 a.m.

TIL that the French title for 'Ghostbusters' is 'S.O.S. Fantômes' (which, unsurprisingly Google Translate says means 'SOS Ghosts'). The Dancer and I had gotten a hankering to watch Ghostbusters when we were out at the cabin over Halloween but had not brought the disc along nor could we find any way to watch it for free over any of the streaming services- and it seemed stupid to spend $5 to rent it when we had the disc sitting at home. So we watched it this last weekend. She then asked if I had Ghostbusters II since she's never seen it (another TIL, though that I had learned a while ago...), but I didn't- so I quickly ordered it from Amazon and it arrived today- and apparently the US Blu-Ray was also sold in France as the cover has everything in both languages. 

WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter)
WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/11/20 10:51 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

TIL that the French title for 'Ghostbusters' is 'S.O.S. Fantômes' (which, unsurprisingly Google Translate says means 'SOS Ghosts'). The Dancer and I had gotten a hankering to watch Ghostbusters when we were out at the cabin over Halloween but had not brought the disc along nor could we find any way to watch it for free over any of the streaming services- and it seemed stupid to spend $5 to rent it when we had the disc sitting at home. So we watched it this last weekend. She then asked if I had Ghostbusters II since she's never seen it (another TIL, though that I had learned a while ago...), but I didn't- so I quickly ordered it from Amazon and it arrived today- and apparently the US Blu-Ray was also sold in France as the cover has everything in both languages. 

Most likely it's that way so it can be sold everywhere in USA & Canada.  As far as I know, Quebec is the only place which legally requires a separate language for all signs & merchandise.

Ashyukun (Robert)
11/11/20 11:05 a.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter) :

That makes sense. Still can't help but chuckle that the French name for the movie is effectively, "Help! Ghosts!" :P

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/15/20 8:12 p.m.

TIL that one fairly modest candle can really warm up a room.

I performed a pretty extensive cleaning of our master bedroom (~234 sq. ft.) last Friday and as part of Continuous Improvement, I added a BB&B mason jar style candle that's "burnt wood" scented (not that it matters).

Back Story:  We replaced every window in the house with dual pain, nitrogen filled, double positive latching windows as soon  as we bought it as our kid's bedrooms are at the front of the house (super low crime area) but who cares, kids so fanatical over-protection is in order; right? We also did a complete attic insulation / vent duct removal and replacement with R values that would make a Minnesotan proud (we're in California) a few years later.

Bottom line, our house is effectively a thermos but still, I'm amazed that one candle can dramatically warm up a ~234 sq. ft. room.

This is highly useful information as my wife likes the temperature to be much lower than I (and the kids) like it to be so a few bucks on candles is wildly superior to a fancy / $$$ multi-zone climate control system.

TIL

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/20 5:03 p.m.

TIL that while I'm far to short to be seen in public with an in-laws cousin I'm not too short or fat to be in private with them. This was not something I expected to read in a group text before breakfast. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/20 5:22 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

By private do you mean prrrriiiivate?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/17/20 5:53 p.m.

It was a surprisingly vulgar comment from  a quiet church girl.  I imagine no one else in the group was laughing seeing how quick everyone tried to shut them down. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/20 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

You know me being from the south and all cousins is subject to interpretation.  Personally I'm out at blood anything cousins but step and in law cousins are fair game.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/17/20 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

They're removed enough to be good up north too but she lives down in Virginia. If she travels up for the holidays I'm atleast having a few laughs at their expense. After all, im funny enough to overlook my being short and fat according to what I've read. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/17/20 9:27 p.m.

Today I learned that Alexa will gladly play the hamster dance from Amazon Music, and if you ask, will gladly show you the lyrics.

Just think, somone had to type out the lyrics to hamster dance and sync them to the song. 

wae
wae UberDork
11/17/20 9:36 p.m.

TIL that a clamp and a block of wood can be used as a caulk gun.

I ordered 5 10oz tubes of construction adhesive from Lowes for pickup.  I just had them dump them in the back of the truck and when I got back to Toiletbird Industries I discovered they gave me 5 of the 28oz tubes.  Turns out that the clamp method doesn't work as bad as I thought it would.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/20 5:33 a.m.

Me, last night: "Hmm this chili needs more kick.  Let's see what's in the cupboard...  Oh, these samplers look good!  *glorp*  Huh, that looks awful thick"

YIL that the small "sampler" bottles of Ass Blaster and other such colorfully-named products were actually hot sauce concentrates, just add vinegar.  So a teaspoon of sauce was really most of a bottle.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/20 10:21 a.m.

TIL that my GI tract has a twelve hour lap time.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/18/20 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I learned that on a pipeline spread outside of Houston after a night of fried Jalapenos. I also learned that coveralls don't come off exceedingly quick.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/18/20 10:37 a.m.
RX Reven' said:

TIL that one fairly modest candle can really warm up a room.

I performed a pretty extensive cleaning of our master bedroom (~234 sq. ft.) last Friday and as part of Continuous Improvement, I added a BB&B mason jar style candle that's "burnt wood" scented (not that it matters).

Back Story:  We replaced every window in the house with dual pain, nitrogen filled, double positive latching windows as soon  as we bought it as our kid's bedrooms are at the front of the house (super low crime area) but who cares, kids so fanatical over-protection is in order; right? We also did a complete attic insulation / vent duct removal and replacement with R values that would make a Minnesotan proud (we're in California) a few years later.

Bottom line, our house is effectively a thermos but still, I'm amazed that one candle can dramatically warm up a ~234 sq. ft. room.

This is highly useful information as my wife likes the temperature to be much lower than I (and the kids) like it to be so a few bucks on candles is wildly superior to a fancy / $$$ multi-zone climate control system.

TIL

If you like the effect, read up on clay pot candle heaters.  It's a simple way to maximize the effectiveness of the heat produced byt he candle.

Ashyukun (Robert)
11/19/20 10:31 a.m.

TIL that my local site lead (who thankfully is not technically my boss, just the most senior- on paper- of the 4-5 of us locally who are all from different disciplines/groups) believes that the best approach to Covid is for "everyone to just get it and move on," that masks and distancing don't work, and that its impacts are being overblown for political gain. This is someone who is and has been an engineer (well, electrical engineer...) for some 20+ years and is theoretically fairly intelligent. It's been a test of willpower to not repl to the email he sent where he said this, because while he can't really do anything to me I do still have to deal with him- though thankfully from a distance since knowing this I'm sure as fark not going anywhere near him at the office until having gotten a vaccine.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
11/19/20 10:34 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Intelligence and critical thinking skills are two different things.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/19/20 10:47 a.m.

The fact that COVID is real doesn't mean that its impact is not being overblown for political gain.

And that's about as close as I'm going to get to a bottom feeding ocean fish.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
11/19/20 12:03 p.m.

TIL that the longest golf course in the world is Nullarbor Links in Australia. It's 850 freaking miles long. What the berkeley, Australia?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/19/20 12:13 p.m.
NickD said:

TIL that the longest golf course in the world is Nullarbor Links in Australia. It's 850 freaking miles long. What the berkeley, Australia?

Do you tee off with artillery?

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
11/19/20 12:15 p.m.
Duke said:
NickD said:

I mean, that's for all 18 holes. And with a par of just 73 (average of 4 per hole), I'm guessing there is just a lot of miles between each hole. But, still that's 14-15 hours of just driving to get around the place. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
11/19/20 12:25 p.m.
NickD said:
Duke said:
NickD said:

I mean, that's for all 18 holes. And with a par of just 73, I'm guessing there is a lot of miles between each hole. But, that's 14-15 hours of just driving to get around the place.

More time in the car than on the links.  Sounds like my ideal golf course.

Ashyukun (Robert)
11/19/20 12:54 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
NickD said:
Duke said:
NickD said:

I mean, that's for all 18 holes. And with a par of just 73, I'm guessing there is a lot of miles between each hole. But, that's 14-15 hours of just driving to get around the place.

More time in the car than on the links.  Sounds like my ideal golf course.

Now if only the roads between the holes were road courses. I'm envisioning something like the Biathalon, combination of your time between the holes on the road courses and your golf score.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/19/20 1:06 p.m.
Duke said:

The fact that COVID is real doesn't mean that its impact is not being overblown for political gain.

And that's about as close as I'm going to get to a bottom feeding ocean fish.

Right, but the rest of what his boss is saying is absolutely insane.

1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sxkZ95ZzEhxVZnTVOu4i8FWVlwaYm3bS1PMFOY3fLKgCvtfNshOBMJiP1KvCCGLQ