1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 ... 213
Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/21 8:53 a.m.

TIL Hagerty can automatically tell that I called them using the number in Classic Motorsports.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/21 9:58 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) :

We went a few years ago, I don't know if it was still a preserve the made a park but its a beautiful place. 

Edit, I think it had just become a park because Jodi was excited to cross one off her list unexpectedly. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/24/21 1:17 p.m.

TIL that Progressive has a "stupidity clause" that will cover when you make the forbidden pina colada in your truck's fuel system

If you don't know what I'm talking about, the dude poured 5 gallons of DEF in the fuel tank of his 2021 diesel Sierra 1500 with 7k miles on the clock and then drove it until it shut off. Now it needs a fuel tank, lift pump, fuel lines, fuel pressure regulators, injection pump and injectors. GM won't warranty it (not GM's fault) but Progressive will foot the $13k bill under a "stupidity clause". Not sure if that's the actual term, or the inspector's vernacular.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/24/21 1:33 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I had a tech prime a DD15 fuel system with DEF, ended up buying an engine. Not a happy day.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
2/24/21 2:50 p.m.
NickD said:

TIL that Progressive has a "stupidity clause" that will cover when you make the forbidden pina colada in your truck's fuel system

My State Farm agent once told me about a similar policy they had, and followed up with some really funny stories of things people used it for.

He had a similar name for it, but I can't remember what it was. I miss that guy.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/24/21 2:57 p.m.

My wife's friend's idiot husband (now ex-husband) used the Stupidity Clause when he put a whole tankful of diesel in her 2-month-old Honda CRV.

It made it the 10 miles home, chugging on 2 cylinders, but still running.

She said at noon on a sunny summer day, they looked under it and they could see the cat glowing red.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
2/24/21 3:03 p.m.

It's coming back to me.

One was the kid of a fairly well off local farmer that rented a Sea Doo type of apparatus and found a way to sink it to the bottom of lake Erie. Another was a woman who bought a fancy new vacuum cleaner and somehow managed to wrap either herself in the cord or hose and fell down the stairs to the tune of a permanent disability.

My work GF's dufus husband filled her Diesel Jetta with gas. They saved it, but it wasn't cheap

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/24/21 4:32 p.m.

First time I encountered that was when a guy mounted his interior car warmer to the plastic kick panel in his brand new 84 Volvo.  Which had the ECU mounted under it.  Using pretty long screws.

If you think about it, insurance is always there because someone did a stupid thing.  May not be the owner, but it takes a certain amount of fail to need insurance, in at least 90% of the time..  The DEF thing, I think, is certainly not unheard of.

Def surely does make a berkeleying mess of the metal in a fuel injection system.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/21 4:35 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Acid issue?

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
2/24/21 4:36 p.m.

He may have long hair and a ponytail but I doubt he does acid any more

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/24/21 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Don't know.  I have just read stories on DN about it.  Acid or base or some sort of corrosion situation, I presume.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/24/21 5:04 p.m.

TIL The Walking Dead is still on tv.

I gave up on it years ago and thought it was done. By the comments I read it's horrid now

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/24/21 5:56 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Def surely does make a berkeleying mess of the metal in a fuel injection system.

Acidity I would guess. Also complete lack of lubricational properties. We had a guy who "somehow" put DEF in the fuel tank of a truck he'd owned for years. Which had the DEF fill under the hood.  And he had deleted the DEF system like the first month he owned it. He then drove it until it shut off. The amount of metal shavings in FPR1 was astounding.

Turns out the guy knew his powertrain warranty was about to expire, so he did it intentionally in hopes of getting a new injection pump and injectors before his warranty ran out. It did not go the way he hoped.

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/24/21 6:36 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude!

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/24/21 6:39 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

TIL The Walking Dead is still on tv.

I gave up on it years ago and thought it was done. By the comments I read it's horrid now

There are very, very few shows that have ended too soon, and in every situation it was because it was cancelled. 

There are a lot that have gone on too long just to cash in a paycheck. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/24/21 6:51 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

That guy is as dumb as a box of rocks, and as honest as a lawyer.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/24/21 7:51 p.m.

A 1964 Mustang is 56 years newer than the first Model T. The 2021 Mustang is 57 years newer than the First Mustang. 

A '64 Mustang is closer to a Model T than a modern car.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/24/21 9:09 p.m.

A 30 year old kid at work doesn't know who Billy Graham was.  

He told me he is becoming an online ordained minister so he can marry his friends.  

I said - okay Billy Graham.  

He said - who dat?

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/21 9:37 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

A 30 year old kid at work doesn't know who Billy Graham was.  

He told me he is becoming an online ordained minister so he can marry his friends.  

I said - okay Billy Graham.  

He said - who dat?

I didn't know who Billy Graham was until I moved to NC in 1996. Then I was like: Oh, the cable TV preacher guy. 

Really, they're all exactly the same.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/24/21 9:43 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) :

It's not like I called him Ernest Angley...

wae
wae UberDork
2/25/21 7:50 a.m.

TIL:  No matter how hard and how many times you pull the emergency brake release, the hood just will not open.

I'm embarrassed to say that I spent about 5 minutes of my life on that problem....

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/25/21 7:56 a.m.
wae said:

TIL:  No matter how hard and how many times you pull the emergency brake release, the hood just will not open.

I'm embarrassed to say that I spent about 5 minutes of my life on that problem....

I can't remember which car it was anymore, but I went through a multi-day period of the reverse of that.  Almost every time I went to drive the car, I would need to get back out and relatch the hood before I could go anywhere.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/25/21 8:09 a.m.

On my wife's car there is a switch that power-folds the rear headrests. Its graphic has a side profile of a seat with some wiggly lines. It's located right next to the steering wheel heater switch.

I accidentally fold them down just about every third time I drive the car. And about a third of those times there is actually somebody sitting back there and I hear "Ow! What the hell?!"

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
2/25/21 8:45 a.m.
wae said:

Don't feel bad. I've owned my Colorado 10 years and I still have to look.

And I still somehow manage to get it wrong about half the time

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/25/21 9:25 a.m.
Duke said:

On my wife's car there is a switch that power-folds the rear headrests. Its graphic has a side profile of a seat with some wiggly lines. It's located right next to the steering wheel heater switch.

I accidentally fold them down just about every third time I drive the car. And about a third of those times there is actually somebody sitting back there and I hear "Ow! What the hell?!"

After 60,000 miles of ownership, I have still yet to have a rear seat passenger in teh R to whap in the head with the rear seat passenger head-whapping device.

1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cFJHcbIz4oXEP0CqiK95fv9fsiIeQV2pNTV35TaqJynMMVrnktojNXiXqrQ1wIXN