1 ... 131 132 133 134 135 ... 139
Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/9/21 7:32 p.m.

Henry Catchpole of Evo UK is 6' 5". I've seen him driving some tiny cars...

 

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/13/21 5:31 p.m.

TIL that it's really hard to judge when things are straight and level when reaching out from a step ladder. You notice when you step back about 15 feet to admire your work and realize that it's not as perfect as you though.

Oh well, it's still 1000% better than the tiny 2.5" numbers that were on the upper left corner of the house. You couldn't even read those from the street and the wall light did not throw any light on them.

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
3/15/21 10:52 a.m.

til that george hudson was so addicted to bug hunting that he invented dst so he would have extra hours after work and have enough time to hunt bugs.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/21 11:33 a.m.

TIL that ancient Irish kings used to have their nipples sucked in a show of loyalty.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/16/21 11:41 a.m.

Today I learned that ancient Ireland was a monarchy. Thanks stampie!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/21 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

And apparently if they didn't like you they cut your nipples off.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nippled-irish-royalty-and_b_6871078

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/17/21 10:30 a.m.

TIL about Lake Peigneur. It was a 10 foot deep freshwater lake in Louisiana with a salt mine 1000 feet below the lake. Texaco went drilling for oil and knew about the salt mines and had the coordinates, but still managed to hit it. Lake Peigneur promptly became a 1000 foot deep salt water lake when it drained into the mines, then caused the canal connecting it to the Gulf Of Mexico to flow backwards and fill it up with salt water, sucking a bunch of barges and the drilling rig into the bottom. That's one hell of an "Oopsie!"

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/21 11:51 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

There is a video of that happening somewhere out there. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/21 1:35 p.m.

TIL that the numberpads on phones and keyboards do not match. How I made it this far in life without noticing is both embarrassing and hilarious. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/17/21 2:18 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:

In reply to NickD :

There is a video of that happening somewhere out there. 

I believe there was a NOVA episode on Lake Peigneur as well.

There was a time in the early Nineties when major building basements all throughout downtown Chicago were flooding, and no one could figure out why.  Although they had been alerted to a potential problem by a tunnel inspector, the City didn't realize the urgency at the time and when it suddenly became urgent no one put 2 and 2 together and came up with 4.  So downtown Chicago began filling up from below.

The problem went on for a few weeks until someone with sharp eyes noticed a mystery whirlpool on the surface of the Chicago River.  Turned out it was in the same location as the previous report - construction work had knocked a hole in the roof of a service tunnel under the river, which was part of a huge network of service tunnels connecting most of the big buildings downtown.

 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/21 11:25 a.m.
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/19/21 11:02 a.m.

TIL, or maybe, TIRealized that my deep dislike of a particular style of music that involves a guy grunting and talking over a woman singing a nice tune all started with the Fugees cover of Killing Me Softly.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
3/19/21 11:18 a.m.
Duke said:
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:

In reply to NickD :

There is a video of that happening somewhere out there. 

I believe there was a NOVA episode on Lake Peigneur as well.

There was a time in the early Nineties when major building basements all throughout downtown Chicago were flooding, and no one could figure out why.  Although they had been alerted to a potential problem by a tunnel inspector, the City didn't realize the urgency at the time and when it suddenly became urgent no one put 2 and 2 together and came up with 4.  So downtown Chicago began filling up from below.

The problem went on for a few weeks until someone with sharp eyes noticed a mystery whirlpool on the surface of the Chicago River.  Turned out it was in the same location as the previous report - construction work had knocked a hole in the roof of a service tunnel under the river, which was part of a huge network of service tunnels connecting most of the big buildings downtown.

 

What an interesting story. The linked Wikipedia article is among the worst I've seen. It almost makes me want to figure out how to become an editor. 

914Driver
914Driver GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/21 2:25 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Yeah, the documentary shows houses & trees twirling down the vortex.  On the plus side there are deep water fish in there now.

I wonder where the guy that drilled into the mine is working now.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
3/19/21 8:12 p.m.

TIL that the Deftones and Tech N9ne did a collab and it's awesome.

 

https://youtu.be/bQQ7qaTuCiU

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/21 9:36 p.m.

In reply to DaewooOfDeath :

TIL DaewooOfDeath can introduce me to a new song that I really like.

914Driver
914Driver GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/21 7:55 a.m.

TIL about the ribs down the side of a school bus!  Besides structural and keeping the sheet from flexing, the bottom rail indicates the floor, center rail shows the seat height and the top one is the location of the top of the seat.  In case of accident and a fire fighter has to cut, he knows where to go.

Now.     Go ahead and ask me how much ammunition you can legally carry on a school bus in NY state .....

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/20/21 8:02 a.m.
914Driver said:

TIL about the ribs down the side of a school bus!  Besides structural and keeping the sheet from flexing, the bottom rail indicates the floor, center rail shows the seat height and the top one is the location of the top of the seat.  In case of accident and a fire fighter has to cut, he knows where to go.

Now.     Go ahead and ask me how much ammunition you can legally carry on a school bus in NY state .....

 

Well?  How much ammo can you carry on a school bus in NY state?  None?

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/20/21 8:06 a.m.
noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/20/21 8:10 a.m.
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) said:

TIL that it's really hard to judge when things are straight and level when reaching out from a step ladder. You notice when you step back about 15 feet to admire your work and realize that it's not as perfect as you though.

 

Oh well, it's still 1000% better than the tiny 2.5" numbers that were on the upper left corner of the house. You couldn't even read those from the street and the wall light did not throw any light on them.

I hate to rain on your numbers, but you might have left a little space between each number to make it easier to read from the street...

 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/20/21 8:17 a.m.

Last night I learned as bad as we think this sinful world is there are a lot of loving people that reached out to Randy Park on gofundme with the loss of his mother this week.

Besides the generosity of so many, it's amazing to see they've raised $2,250,000 with a lot of it on $5-$20 donations.

 Awesome!

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
3/20/21 8:27 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

TIL that ancient Irish kings used to have their nipples sucked in a show of loyalty.

Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

And apparently if they didn't like you they cut your nipples off.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nippled-irish-royalty-and_b_6871078

TIL that Irish royalty were fascinated by nipples.....

914Driver
914Driver GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/21 8:17 a.m.

In reply to noddaz :

100 pounds, in case they have to be used by the National Guard.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/21/21 8:27 a.m.
914Driver said:

In reply to NickD :

Yeah, the documentary shows houses & trees twirling down the vortex.  On the plus side there are deep water fish in there now.

I wonder where the guy that drilled into the mine is working now.

The drill guy would have just been drilling where he was told to drill, no?

 

I can't see drilling anywhere near an underground mine to end well, on a long enough timeline.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/21 9:28 a.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) :

As someone who frequently seeks out house numbers in time-sensitive situations, what you really need is big reflective numbers on both sides of your mailbox out by the street.

Especially if you're the guy having a heart attack in the middle of the night. Those crooked numbers on the column will be invisible. 

1 ... 131 132 133 134 135 ... 139
Our Preferred Partners
NtDj5ik6fbhRo6nj55XfgCuERAzmmpZ5Ck1iUGfyNL0P0YS4jj9a4qHLFymKF67Q