1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 ... 213
NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/11/21 7:53 a.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

True. The bolt was run down all the way, it just didn't have enough torque to set the seals. I started it up and it ran for about 45 seconds, at which point I noticed the weird bubbling noise and shut it off, and by then it had pumped most of 4.25qts out of the pan onto the floor.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/11/21 8:47 a.m.

So tell me honestly, did you look around to see if the parts guys were watching?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/11/21 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

They knew when I went in and grabbed a bag of Oil-Dri, a 5 gallon bucket of floor degreaser and then asked for them to put another 4.3qts of Dexos up on the oil reels.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/11/21 9:50 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

The parts guy knew it was best to not say anything considering what transpired beforehand. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/21 1:49 p.m.

TIL that Mercedes makes large transverse-engined cars.

Mercedes dealer parts department has their head up their ass, too, but I've known this.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
5/13/21 6:01 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

True. I would have threatened to mop stuff up with the parts guy if he said something.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/13/21 6:35 p.m.

TIL that there is already a shop installing Hellcat engines into the new Jeep Gladiators. They also will put in the 1000hp Hellephant crate engine

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/13/21 7:52 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Until they put it in something that isn't based on a truck or the LX platform, I remain uninterested.  Trucks are trucks, and the LX platform is the poster child for not fun to drive.  If any car could have negative steering feel, it'd be an LX.

Meanwhile, I'm kind of goggled that Mercedes has a something like 410hp version of the 2 liter four in the CLA that I worked on today.  If only the car were smaller...

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/13/21 8:02 p.m.

TIL Thomas J. Midgley is now considered one of history's most dangerous inventors.  He added lead to gasoline and as a followup introduced the world to chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), now considered two of the world’s most harmful chemical compounds. 

This 1920s Inventor Sped Up Climate Change With His Chemical Creations - HISTORY

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/13/21 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I think gapping people at stop lights or on the freeway with a stock-looking 1000hp Gladiator would have a certain amusement factor

Pete. (l33t FS)
5/13/21 8:29 p.m.
NickD said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I think gapping people at stop lights or on the freeway with a stock-looking 1000hp Gladiator would have a certain amusement factor

You're supposed to drive those in the left lane at exactly the same speed as the person in the center or right lane, with a giant light bar on even in the daytime.

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
5/14/21 7:42 a.m.

Today I learned the person I was car enabling a while back did a thing!  What have you people done to me?? laugh

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/14/21 8:05 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Yep!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/21 5:28 a.m.

TIL the company WiFi blocks Snapchat. I guess I really was the last person to learn what it's for.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/15/21 11:38 a.m.

TIL that shopping carts at IKEA go sideways. 

All 4 wheels swivel. 

It was disappointing that you can't ride them (the typical "Dad" ride), but every corner feels like drifting, so the happiness is deep!

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/15/21 12:23 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

You can get them to do a full 360 with a solid fling to the side, then catch the handle as it comes back around.

They're great until you're trying to push a full cart to the car and the sidewalk outside has a slope for drainage that you have to fight against.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/15/21 12:50 p.m.

Today I learned that I owned a Miata as a child. While digging through my old cars I found this. Random HotWheels for scale.

It looks well played with. And it also looks like it has 255 section width tires. Sporty!

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/15/21 1:59 p.m.

Ooh...

TIL also that IKEA shopping carts (and their big brother large material carts) not only go sideways, but have special wheels  that clip into the escalators... IKEA carts can ride escalators!

Swedes are amazing.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/15/21 2:00 p.m.

For the record...

I'm Swedish. wink

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/15/21 4:05 p.m.

The 4-spinny wheel carts are common in Germany, too.

It's nifty at first, but I'm ultimately not a fan. It's okay when a cart is light. As it get's heavy, it's hard to get it to turn. Much less controllable.

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
5/15/21 8:24 p.m.

today i learned that these things are called f-holes. i will never look at them the same way again.

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
5/20/21 7:56 a.m.

TIL (more accurately yesterday while driving from DFW to College Station) that the “FM” on Texas  state route signs stands for “Farm to Market”.  smiley

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/20/21 4:05 p.m.

TIL that Rock auto can process and ship an order through the US, into Canada and have it on my doorstep as quickly as my local Lowes can process a pick up order for 4 eye bolts.

And do it for less than half the price of my local parts supplier

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/20/21 4:57 p.m.

TIL the local gate guardian AH-1 Cobra is a Vietnam vet, 69-71, with 3 "purple hearts."

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/23/21 10:37 a.m.

TIL that some people gauge how good a mechanic is by how long the washer fluid lasts......

1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TDdKzO9U5sEbKfsJT4Le88SKuZftR0gIPwynGkOQfCnDkuoZvjxOgBFeL3knirJI