1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 ... 152
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/21 8:48 a.m.

TIL not to use the same lock pimpm3 used on his trailer. It took him 10 seconds with a hacksaw to cut it off. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/10/21 9:18 a.m.
Stampie said:

TIL not to use the same lock pimpm3 used on his trailer. It took him 10 seconds with a hacksaw to cut it off. 

I guess it wasn't made with high tensile steel.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/10/21 9:46 a.m.

Today I learned that fish and chips ain't nothing but fish stick, french fries,  and vinegar. 

I feel like I've been lied to by the bbc.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/10/21 10:22 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Today I learned that fish and chips ain't nothing but fish stick, french fries,  and vinegar. 

I feel like I've been lied to by the bbc.

I'm curious what you thought it was before.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/10/21 10:30 a.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:
mtn said:

TIL, again, that the best way to make any frozen pizza is on the grill. So much better. 

As the guy with the new grill, this is very pertinent info. 

Propane: Turn the grill on, all burners at max. When the temp gets up to about 550, turn the outside burners to medium, and turn the middle burners off. Put the pizza directly on the grill in the middle. Check it every 3 minutes or so, as quickly as you can to avoid the heat escaping. When it looks like it has about a minute left, I like to turn the middle burners on to crisp up the crust a little. 

Charcoal: Heat your charcoal til it's white hot. Spread charcoal around the edge if it is round, or divide in two and keep the middle clear if it is a rectangular grill. 

Use a thin edged cookie sheet to pull it off.

It is more active than the oven, obviously, and I've had it take 6 minutes or 13 minutes; I've also burned it in 8 minutes (hence my recommendation to check it every 3 minutes or so). But it just tastes better, and you have the added bonus of it not heating up the kitchen. Since we are on another summer of window unit air conditioners, that is a huge bonus. 

7/10/21 10:31 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Honestly,  not something that simple. Im not really sure what i thought it was, but it SOUNDED exotic. Not just a different name with vinegar. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/10/21 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Honestly,  not something that simple. Im not really sure what i thought it was, but it SOUNDED exotic. Not just a different name with vinegar. 

I'm pretty sure I've known about fish and chips since I was about 5 years old, so it's hard for me to get into the headspace of *not* knowing what they are... but how in the world does it sound exotic? I guess the fish could be something fancy, but wouldn't they call it by the species rather than the generic term? And as soon as you add chips - whether you're thinking of fries or crisps - how does it become exotic?

This is coming off as condescending, and I apologize for that - I'm just trying to figure out what/how you thought it'd be something fancy! Also, no way in the world something exotic would be as good as fish and chips. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
7/10/21 11:27 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

I've never had authentic British fish and chips, (unless it's just any old generic fried fish). It would be fun to do a blind taste test between that and the rural American fish fries I've been to, because those are amazing. 

My grandpa's brother would break out the propane fryer and beers any chance he got. He would fry blue gill fillets and french fries until nobody could eat any more. Any time you stopped over you were guaranteed to leave full and buzzed. I miss that guy.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
7/10/21 12:19 p.m.

I was in a rural part of Belgium many years ago and my hosts were bitchin' & moaning about the McDonald's that was adjacent to the traditional fish and chips restaurant they took me to.

I don't like McDonald's but I couldn't help but notice that they were absolutely packed and the fish and chips restaurant was at about half capacity.  I kept my mouth shut to be polite but I was wondering how they could not be seeing what I was seeing (patronage = preference).  I assigned cause to my American / capitalistic paradigm.

BTW, the fish and chips were nothing special..obviously frozen and probably fried in lard as they were greasy.

Who wants to open a grilled fish taco stand with me in Belgium...nothing frozen, fresh cilantro, corn tortillas, and sauces made continuously on site.

Let's show those clog wearing, doily making amateurs how to rip off the best the world has to offer. cheeky

7/10/21 1:54 p.m.

I had expected fish and chips to be something a better quality or better taste than your standard frozen fish sticks and the frozen french fries Fair. The vinegar was a different taste. Otherwise I could get that kit at Walmart. Just not what I thought I was going to be getting, nor what i expected. 

Yes I am a rural County boy. I've had everything they can put in the fryer at the fair, but expected so-called foreign food to be a lot more different than it actually was.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/10/21 2:02 p.m.

I had expected fish and chips to be something a better quality or better taste than your standard frozen fish sticks and the frozen french fries Fair. The vinegar was a different taste. Otherwise I could get that kit at Walmart. Just not what I thought I was going to be getting, nor what i expected. 

Yes I am a rural County boy. I've had everything they can put in the fryer at the fair, but expected so-called foreign food to be a lot more different than it actually was.

You haven't had proper British fish and chips yet.

And malt vinegar is certainly an acquired taste.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/10/21 2:10 p.m.

Ah yeah. You literally meant fish sticks. That isn't quite what it is. It's still not fancy - it's bar food - but it isn't fish sticks. 

7/10/21 3:42 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

We were at the Scottish highland games. It was advertised at a food truck. Always wanted to try (based on how awesome all the bbc shows made it sound). So, we did!

I at least tried something new (or tried to), so at least i got that going for me.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/21 3:59 p.m.

TIL:

"In September 2003, Ronnie James Dio accidentally severed his thumb during a gardening accident when a heavy garden gnome fell onto it. Dio was concerned he would no longer be able to do his signature metal horns hand gesture, but a doctor managed to re-attach it."

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/10/21 4:38 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Every now and then I get what is probably a horrible facsimile, from Long John Silver's.  I much, much prefer their thick cut fries (err, chips) to the thin crunchy stuff from places like McDonald's.

Used to go to Arthur Treacher's all the time, too.  There's only one left, now, which feels kinda weird.  (It's not that far from where I work)

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/10/21 4:51 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

You haven't had proper British fish and chips yet.

And malt vinegar is certainly an acquired taste.

I absolutely love malt vinegar. We used to have a fantastic fish and chips place here. I am sad they're gone...

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/21 7:04 p.m.
Stampie said:

Pretty much any padlock, including expensive ones, are easy to get off with 1 whack from a 2 or 3 pound hammer i.m.e.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
7/10/21 9:42 p.m.

There is a value to go along with the saying "I'd give my left nut ...."

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/10/21 9:51 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

I'm 58 years old I've changed my about giving my left nut for anything.   I prefer to earn money instead.  

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/11/21 12:15 a.m.
No Time said:

There is a value to go along with the saying "I'd give my left nut ...."

I worked with a guy that told his now wife he was gonna sell his testicles for a fast car 

He liked Audi's though so I'm not sure if it would be worth it lol

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/11/21 6:03 a.m.
RX Reven' said:

I don't like McDonald's but I couldn't help but notice that they were absolutely packed and the fish and chips restaurant was at about half capacity.  I kept my mouth shut to be polite but I was wondering how they could not be seeing what I was seeing (patronage = preference).  I assigned cause to my American / capitalistic paradigm.

I don't think patronage = preference really covers it. 

McDonalds plants stores anywhere they can, but the product is different. I've been in a couple McD's in several countries and the product was truly horrible. It tasted like uncooked goat meat or something with weird sauces and soggy buns. And yet the stores were full. 

I don't think the attraction is the food. I think the attraction is "exotic foreign food". For some weird reason, many people in other countries seem to love the opportunity to have something "American", and it makes no difference if it's good.  Sometimes it's actually a status symbol to be able to afford eating in an American establishment (kind of like wearing a designer label)

A preference to buy something American is necessarily a preference that indicates the food is better. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/21 7:14 a.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

This reminded me of going to bars Canada when we were in college.

The Domestic/Imported beer menu was flipped and it would cost more for Budweiser than for Molson and LaBatt's.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/11/21 7:16 a.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

They were sued for that song and lost. But it was by Willie Dixon who originally wrote it in the early 60's. The above version is also a ripoff not originally credited to Dixon either.

Zeppelin are well known for stealing other people's music and claiming it as their own.

Actually Willie Dixon sued them over "You Shook Me" from Zep I.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/11/21 7:17 a.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

That could go a long way to explaining my strong aversion to religion

Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

What I find amusing is when artists use someone else's song outright, and it becomes more popular than the original, to the point that nobody realizes that it's a cover.

Which I bet is pretty common

Don't get Mick Fleetwood started talking about "Black Magic Woman".

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
7/11/21 8:37 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

In 1985, Willie Dixon took Led Zeppelin to court over their song "Whole Lotta Love," whose lyrics were adapted from the Muddy Waters song "You Need Love" (written by Dixon). They settled out of court in Dixon's favor, and subsequent releases of the song attribute Dixon.

They were serial thieves

1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 ... 152
Our Preferred Partners
o1Y3wrl6eTrbnJwU67rtJIQRCMIQ8mEbFe1JkEeQd2Mj84VM4NUl0d95uhdKCVFZ