1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 ... 213
Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/11/21 8:52 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

I had expected fish and chips to be something a better quality or better taste than your standard frozen fish sticks and the frozen french fries Fair. The vinegar was a different taste. Otherwise I could get that kit at Walmart. Just not what I thought I was going to be getting, nor what i expected. 

There's good quality and bad quality in everything. Quality and authenticity are not the same thing.

It sounds like what you got was neither good nor authentic.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/11/21 9:08 a.m.

Fish?  Place looks old - food outstanding.  Even in the Blues Brothers bridge jump which is not close to the Joliet prison as shown in the movie.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
7/11/21 10:37 a.m.

In the 90's when I was racing dirt oval part of my race day routine was picking up my Son's buddy down the road and the two 10 year olds would sit in the bed of the S10 on the way to the track. There was no motorsport history in his family, and initially he was just coming along for something to do on a Friday night. But that changed as he became more interested and started hanging around and getting involved with the field cars too.

TIL that he just laid claim to having the world's fastest ATS. He ran a 9.44 in his ATS-V and did all the work himself.

I like to think I had a hand in that somewhere along the line.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
7/11/21 1:48 p.m.

TILthat not all charcoal briquettes are the same. We bought some cheap ones and I lit them in the chimney and waited for the smoke to stop, laid them on the grill, waited for the thing to heat up, brushed it off and put the burgers down. The coal was out before the burgers were ready to flip. I do burgers fairly frequently; I know what I'm doing.
In the past, I've always used kingsford original. In the future, I'll always use kingsford original. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/21 1:52 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

You need to ditch the briquettes and go with natural charcoal.  It's amazing how much better food taste without all the ash on it.

barefootskater (Shaun)
7/11/21 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I'll look into it. I tried finding some locally a few years ago and couldn't find anyone selling any. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/11/21 2:26 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Just remember natural charcoal has NO uniformity or consistency, and is much harder to control temps with. There's a reason kingsford original is the professionals charcoal of choice.

I finally got off the lump wagon when I was getting whole branches in the bag. Fine if you're just doing burgers or chicken, but if your trying to actually cook everything on the grill, you can't beat kingsford.

Just stay the berkeley away from lighter fluid no matter the charcoal you use.

barefootskater (Shaun)
7/11/21 2:57 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I never mess with the stuff. I learned about chimneys about ten years ago and never looked back. 
Actual cooking is not really in the game here at home. This is one of those 17" jobs from the waldens. My folks have a nice big smoker with an adjustable bed and two cooking levels. 
Home game is usually just burgers and dogs, corn if I'm feeling it. Cheap and easy and the toddlers will always eat burgers and dogs. $15 and not heating the kitchen ftw. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/11/21 9:20 p.m.

More humans have been to space than have been to challenger deep. As of 2019, only three people had ever made the journey.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/21 11:54 p.m.

Fish and chips?

One of the best plates of fish and chips I ever had was in Port Jefferson, NY. The boat pulled up to the dock with founder still kicking and the guys took them from the boat, expertly filleted them, rolled them in batter and had them in the fryer. The potatoes were cooked independently at a different temperature, and were crispy without being overdone.

The freshness of the fish, the cooking temperature and the quality of the fries make huge difference.

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
7/15/21 12:32 p.m.

Today I learned.

If your first order from amazon is counterfeit, the replacement will most likely be too.

Just get the refund on the first, as the second return will be more complicated and they will not let you use the same return option.

First one can be dropped off at khols, second one has to be ups or a locker for some unknown reason. Now I get to make trips in opposite directions....

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/16/21 7:29 p.m.

TIL that those berkeleying annoying little birds are called kildeer

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/16/21 7:36 p.m.
NickD said:

The ones that run really fast, right?  They are super protective of their nests and nest on the ground.  They are pretty entertaining when being protective.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/21 7:38 p.m.

TIL that Honda made automatic CR-Zs.

Also TIL that the CR-Z is basically a two seater Fit with a better driving position and Civic 5 lug brakes.  Also it's a light hybrid, but I knew that part already.

TIL that I am suddenly very, very interested in CR-Zs...

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/16/21 8:16 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
NickD said:

The ones that run really fast, right?  They are super protective of their nests and nest on the ground.  They are pretty entertaining when being protective.

These damn things. They don't shut up.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/16/21 8:24 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Also TIL that the CR-Z is basically a two seater Fit with a better driving position and Civic 5 lug brakes.  Also it's a light hybrid, but I knew that part already.

There was a CR-Z that came to an autocross with a Rotrex blower, which seemed like a great idea: the IMA would fill in down low and the Rotrex would sing up top. Unfortunately the guy was one of those novices who seemed like he couldn't find the gas pedal, and then it never came to another event.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/16/21 10:38 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

I had expected fish and chips to be something a better quality or better taste than your standard frozen fish sticks and the frozen french fries Fair. The vinegar was a different taste. Otherwise I could get that kit at Walmart. Just not what I thought I was going to be getting, nor what i expected. 

Yes I am a rural County boy. I've had everything they can put in the fryer at the fair, but expected so-called foreign food to be a lot more different than it actually was.

You haven't had proper British fish and chips yet.

And malt vinegar is certainly an acquired taste.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/21 2:24 a.m.
NickD said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

There was a CR-Z that came to an autocross with a Rotrex blower, which seemed like a great idea: the IMA would fill in down low and the Rotrex would sing up top. Unfortunately the guy was one of those novices who seemed like he couldn't find the gas pedal, and then it never came to another event.

Maybe he was hypermile-ing. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/17/21 5:46 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

We had some of those super slow types causing problems at our last autocross. They're still better than the novices who can't find the brake pedal.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/17/21 8:59 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

We had some of those super slow types causing problems at our last autocross. They're still better than the novices who can't find the brake pedal.

I'm just glad none of our sites allow junior karts anymore. I get that they are an important stepping stone, but holy E36 M3 did they suck. Shut down everything so they can take all their runs at once, which was forty-five minutes of them getting lost on every run or constantly spinning out and stalling and the parents having to run out and get it straightened out and started again. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
7/18/21 10:25 a.m.

TIL there is a market for out of date PC gaming hardware.  I found an old 3dfx Voodoo 1 card while cleaning up today.  I checked on ebay, and people have paid between $50-60 for known defective cards of the exact same model.  I have no way of testing mine to see if it works, but if I can get $50 out of it minus listing costs, why not?  Starting to dig through a lot of my other old PC/Mac crap.  I will be reactivating my ebay seller's account sometime in the near future.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/18/21 9:08 p.m.

TIL that its a bad idea to wear a white T-shirt when riding behind a coal-fired steam locomotive in the open-air car shortly after it has rained. The cinders come up out of the stack, hit the wet leaves on the trees and then shower back down on you.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/21 10:37 a.m.

TIL of the 5,703 Z8s made, three of them are within a mile of each other at the Spartanburg, SC BMW plant and the nearby BCCA headquarters. Added bonus of them having an E30 M3 each.

I also learned that the BMW tour guide thinks Jacksonville is in the everglades of Florida. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/20/21 4:08 p.m.

TIL that due to orbital resonance and a off-plane orbit, Pluto never gets closer than 18AU to Neptune, but it does get as close as 11AU to Uranus.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/22/21 9:10 p.m.

TIL about the band Captured By Robots a band with mostly robots.

Apparently they've been around for 2 decades too, I'm apparently out of the loop

1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
36myFtfjOUETqfCb5iSlVgCciDfKhmLQS0MiKT4Yrg1CXYppLcUP2zl7oOoD98co