1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 ... 151
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/22/21 9:53 p.m.
NickD said:

TIL that its a bad idea to wear a white T-shirt when riding behind a coal-fired steam locomotive in the open-air car shortly after it has rained. The cinders come up out of the stack, hit the wet leaves on the trees and then shower back down on you.

TIL Nick has never been to a GWAR concert . You wear white so it gets COVERED IN STAINS !

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/23/21 7:09 a.m.

TIL that there is a shortage of caulking, not because there is no caulk, but because they cannot get the plastic tips for the tube.

A while ago I learned that the plastic industry was brought to a near standstill by the freezing weather in Texas last winter, which ruined a bunch of plastic production facilities.

Which also leads to, Hardiboard orders are up over 1000% since nobody has vinyl siding.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
7/23/21 7:43 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Which also leads to, Hardiboard orders are up over 1000% since nobody has vinyl siding.

Which leads to me hoping my aluminum siding continues to hold up.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/21 5:27 p.m.

TIL that on your third day at a farm it no longer smells like a farm.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
7/23/21 6:58 p.m.

TIL that maybe I'm not the only one after all.

Review for a 7HP OHV (Honda clone) engine

Gatineau

★★★★ 4 out of 5 stars.  

Super convenient

I was building a intimate amorous love machine for my girlfriends and electrical engines were a bit on the expensive side and underpowered. I tried putting one of the old engines I keep for these kinds of projects, but my girlfriend objected to having a nasty old mower engine inside of the house. So I bought her this brand new clean one. She called me a tard and a loser, but the machine works wayyy better than the one she ended up buying on amazon. Would recommend you adjust the timing valve however, thy come too tight from factory. They may break after the end of the warranty period if unadjusted.

• Frequency of use
  • Weekly
  • Length of Ownership
  • 1 week
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/21 9:38 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

Well it does come with the power fist logo.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/24/21 12:20 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Which leads to me hoping my aluminum siding continues to hold up.

Which leads me to feel even more uncertain about my assumption that hardiplank would be my answer to expensive wood for the garage siding... At least I've got a couple of months to see who ends up ahead...

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/24/21 12:44 a.m.

I have never had any kind of success nailing or fastening hardiplank to anything.  No mater what I do, no mater what instructions I follow the nails just cause the material to experinece a brittle fracture.  It breaks easily during install because it has near zero bending strength and you cannot install pieces longer then about 5' by yourself.  It requires paint, causes your hands to dry and is annoying to cut like all cement products.  Gaps at anything more complicated then a perfectly straight edge are horrendous to deal with also.  I for the life of me can't understand why people like it so much.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
7/24/21 3:08 p.m.

Today I parked my 4th Gen Camaro next to a new Equinox, and thought it looked bigger. So, after searching, I learned the Camaro is 11" longer and 1" wider than the Equinox.. shocking!

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/26/21 8:49 p.m.

Mazda rebadged the Suzuki Vitara as the Mazda Proceed Levante. 

wae
wae UberDork
7/28/21 11:45 a.m.

TIL: Why cobalt drill bits are more expensive.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/28/21 12:39 p.m.
wae said:

Because you can actually drill holes in something harder than a pine 1x3 with them?

wae
wae UberDork
7/28/21 1:01 p.m.
Duke said:
wae said:

Because you can actually drill holes in something harder than a pine 1x3 with them?

Basically, yeah! 

The second thing I learned today is that I don't own a 1/2" chuck drill and these bits might be amazing but they don't do E36 M3 if you can't rotate them!

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/28/21 1:10 p.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

Mazda rebadged the Suzuki Vitara as the Mazda Proceed Levante. 

The funniest rebadging is still the Toyota Voltz. After Pontiac reskinned the Matrix as a Vibe, Toyota then rebadged the Vibe as a Toyota Voltz.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
7/28/21 5:04 p.m.

Today at my (first ever) chiropractor appointment after they took X-rays I learned that apparently one of the (or the, I don't know the skeleton well) lowest vertebrae in my back (#5) is mostly fused with my pelvis, and one of the little tabs on the side grew out more than the other. Apparently this was a congenital defect- thankfully one that really doesn't have any real impact (as I've not known anything about it until now), but does explain why I CANNOT sit comfortably cross-legged on the floor (or, really, comfortably on a floor at all) because my back doesn't bend/rotate as much as 'normal'.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/21 5:54 p.m.

TIL what Adonitology is, though it's been fairly popular and mainstream for an incalculably long time.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/29/21 9:42 p.m.

Double feature:

1. TIL that the HMMWV supposedly has the ability to convert to 4-something feet of overall height. I found that at Wikipedia. I've seen that certain models of LMTV can do this, so I don't doubt it.

2. In trying to find documentation of the above, I found that there's at least something resembling a genre of YouTube videos that claim to have "subliminal" content to make you shorter. So, if you're taller than you'd like, uh, you can listen to YouTube.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
7/30/21 9:08 a.m.

In the past two days, I learned that these odd-looking fungi are chanterelles.

And they're delicious.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/30/21 11:20 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

That doesn't look like sane science.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
7/30/21 2:02 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

That doesn't look like sane science.

I definitely wouldn't have eaten something that looked like a floral delivery from R'lyeh without confirming what it was.

wae
wae UberDork
7/30/21 4:15 p.m.

TIL that an E14 socket will sit fairly tight on an E12 inverted torx head.    Right up until it rounds it off.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
7/30/21 6:26 p.m.

TIL that the last time I changed the oil in my truck was March 2020.

I don't drive it much anymore, but this weekend I'll be driving it to work, so I figured I'd better check a few things. The oil was one, the date on the oil filter was the other. Since it was down a liter or two I just filled it back up and called it good. I sure don't remember things like I used to.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/21 8:46 p.m.

TIL that Olympic Handball and Water Polo are essentially socially acceptable forms of Dodgeball. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/2/21 8:48 p.m.

TIL Peppa Pig has some cool writers.

"Hang on lads, I've got a great idea." Was a line said by the Queen as she was driving Peppa Pigs class around London on a double decker, after she got hung up on a drawbridge trying to jump it because she couldn't wait.

Hint: Michael Caine.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/4/21 9:51 a.m.

TIL something kind of convoluted.

Albert Champion had been deveoping/patenting spark plugs since the 1800s, then came to the US and worked with a couple other people who had started, coincidentally enough, the Champion Spark Plug Company.

He left that company to work for Buick, proposing that he could manufacture spark plugs more cheaply than they were buying them from their supplier.  So he started the Champion Ignition Company.  He got cease-and-desisted by his former employers, so he changed the company's name to the AC Spark Plug Company.

That's where the AC in AC Delco came from.

1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 ... 151
Our Preferred Partners
QRTaxtYfs3n8Erv2p0blLkP3N6Q0EkFFhtaJ306NYz707YpqbJGL38LMIzi2PQIh