1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 ... 151
mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
8/4/21 5:50 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

TIL Peppa Pig has some cool writers.

This.  Some of the characters' dialogue and story lines are hilarious. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/4/21 5:58 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I feel honored that I already knew most of that.

Still curious that the standard thread for spark plugs in American cars, for many many years, has been 14mm.  I presume French guys have something to do with that.

The only metric thing in the USA, other than a 9mm pistol.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/4/21 6:16 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Some older American cars, like flathead era, had much larger sparkplug threads.  18mm.

Yet auto parts store still need to stock 18mm spark plug non foulers.  Funny, that.

--

The US weights and measures are defined by Metric standards, so technically the US has always been metric, we have just used slang?

Meanwhile the meter is defined as being a certain fraction of a certain wavelength of light.  I thought fractions were verboten wink

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
8/4/21 6:39 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Your electric bill.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/4/21 7:04 p.m.

Ford used 18mm way long, and early stuff often used pipe thread.  Still odd to me that they aren't 5/8 nf or something.

Edit:  I may have an 18mm antifouler or two on my inventory list.  You never know when you'll have a 1969 302 Mustand show up with bad rings...

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/21 7:04 p.m.

Don't forget coke 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
8/4/21 7:17 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

And I knew none of it.

Somehow in the 90's Champion became the loser plug that nobody used and, probably for no reason, had a terrible reputation. Growing up with motocross bikes, my plug of choice was always NGK. But when I was racing I had a very generous Champion sponsorship, and so for a half dozen years used them exclusively, and they worked perfectly under some harsh conditions.

So today, when I'm looking for plugs, no matter the application, what do I use?

NGK

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/4/21 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

I read something from the 70s that went along the lines of "Whoever said to never start a race with new spark plugs, must have been running Champions"

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/21 7:38 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

We ended up on a Bosch deal in the 90s so I've put them in everything ever since. Their rep talked to an idiot kid like I knew what I was doing. I learned a ton from him and the people he connected us with. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/4/21 9:30 p.m.
Scott_H said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Your electric bill.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/5/21 12:03 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Still curious that the standard thread for spark plugs in American cars, for many many years, has been 14mm.  I presume French guys have something to do with that.

10mm too

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/5/21 8:34 a.m.

Carb cleaner does a pretty good job stopping the pain from a hornet sting. Still itches a little the next day though.

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 New Reader
8/5/21 2:28 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Today at my (first ever) chiropractor appointment after they took X-rays I learned that apparently one of the (or the, I don't know the skeleton well) lowest vertebrae in my back (#5) is mostly fused with my pelvis, and one of the little tabs on the side grew out more than the other. Apparently this was a congenital defect- thankfully one that really doesn't have any real impact (as I've not known anything about it until now), but does explain why I CANNOT sit comfortably cross-legged on the floor (or, really, comfortably on a floor at all) because my back doesn't bend/rotate as much as 'normal'.

Til someone else has nearly the same problem as me! But mine results in a pinched nerve after too much bending over or impact exercise like a heel strike when running

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/21 4:32 p.m.

TIL that I won't be selling the i8 to someone who goes by "Onegun Man" who has asked if I could do payments. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 4:43 p.m.
Karacticus said:

TIL that I won't be selling the i8 to someone who goes by "Onegun Man" who has asked if I could do payments. 

I take payments.  One single payment for the entire purchase price.  ;-)

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/21 4:48 p.m.
dean1484 said:
Karacticus said:

I take payments.  One single payment for the entire purchase price.  ;-)

Technically, that is a single payment. Payments would be a deposit with the remainder upon pickup...  cheeky

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/5/21 4:52 p.m.
Karacticus said:

Sure, but you don't get the title or the keys until the final payment is received. Oh, and I'll have to charge you a $50 a month storage fee. 

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/7/21 4:36 p.m.

Today I learned (by watching someone else do it, I wouldn't have tried this) that you can transport 54 - 16' trex decking boards in a pickup with an 8' bed...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/7/21 7:06 p.m.

In reply to New York Nick :

The goal is simple; get home before it all falls out or the cops bust you.   Side streets are your friends.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/21 7:11 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Seems legit.  I mean there's a red flag and everything.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/7/21 7:24 p.m.
New York Nick said:

Today I learned (by watching someone else do it, I wouldn't have tried this) that you can transport 54 - 16' trex decking boards in a pickup with an 8' bed...

The other day I stopped by Home Depot.  I saw someone in the covered loading area loading about 4 sheets of drywall onto the roof of a Gen 3 Eclipse convertible.  I was walking into the store just as a good rain was starting and saw them pull out and drive away.

I took a lot of self control not to run back to my car and try and catch up/follow them just to see how it panned out.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/7/21 7:36 p.m.

At least it wasn't a Jetta.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/7/21 8:41 p.m.

Seriously when he hit a bump I bet the tree moved a foot and the front end looked very light. It had to be 1500-2000 in trex. You would think a $40 trailer rental would be worth it. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/21 10:18 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Don't forget coke 

Liter or gram?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/7/21 11:08 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

At least it wasn't a Jetta.