1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 ... 213
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/22/21 9:32 a.m.

Today I Learned that New York State has outlawed smoke detectors with batteries.  Mine started the "low battery" chirp so I pulled it down, no battery.  Two hardware stores only had the hard wired type, others offered ones with batteries but lithium and not replaceable.  no more 9v.

So....  When you change your batteries in 6 months, it will cost you $30-$60 for a new unit.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/21 9:40 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

There's actually a good reason for that.  In training I was told that the detector elements themselves have a 7 year life span.  The move to non replaceable batteries is because normally the detector itself is past it's 7 years.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/22/21 10:09 a.m.
Azryael said:

In reply to Duke :

Yup! It was a Power Computing machine that I had learned was capable of utilizing that much RAM! More than what Apple had on offer.

IIRC, Jobs yanked the licenses from all the clone manufacturers when he took over.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
8/22/21 8:36 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

He did indeed, but Apple ended up buying Power Computing, which is why they were the only "clones" to ship with the Mac OS 8 disc.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/21 8:49 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to 914Driver :

There's actually a good reason for that.  In training I was told that the detector elements themselves have a 7 year life span.  The move to non replaceable batteries is because normally the detector itself is past it's 7 years.

It's true. Lots of detectors will chirp "low battery" after seven or eight years. New batteries will not make them work again.

I had to replace all the detectors in my house in June. I have a lot of detectors. sad

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/22/21 8:53 p.m.

And I suppose that this is another good opportunity to post this PSA:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/22/21 10:57 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Appleseed puts down phone and quietly closes Hellspawn's door.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
8/23/21 7:43 a.m.

TIL that there's a Batwoman movie, made in Mexico in 1969 that looks just like the kind of horrible B movie I love to watch

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/21 10:07 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:
Stampie said:

In reply to 914Driver :

It's true. Lots of detectors will chirp "low battery" after seven or eight years. New batteries will not make them work again.

I had to replace all the detectors in my house in June. I have a lot of detectors. sad

Yup, just replaced our hardwired units after way too long.  The annoying part is that they changed the pigtail and while they sell the adapter harness, its $5 each and there was absolutely no reason to change the pinout other than being irritating.

Luckily I don't mind swapping the wires over, its just wire nuts.  Just make sure you pull all of the dectectors off when you do it to avoid setting them off.

We also close doors in the house at night, no need to add risk to things and it helps the kids sleep.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/23/21 11:24 a.m.

TIL how fast a Budd Rail Diesel Car can stop from 45mph

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/23/21 12:23 p.m.

TIL that baked salmon tastes great with soy sauce. I should have figured as such since I love salmon sushi/sashimi with soy sauce.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/23/21 1:23 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

If you like that combo you should try Miso Glazed Salmon.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/23/21 3:41 p.m.
CAinCA said:

In reply to RossD :

If you like that combo you should try Miso Glazed Salmon.

Soy and some hot honey is pretty solid for a salmon glaze too

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/23/21 3:50 p.m.

Salmon with just about anything needs to be served on white rice and green peas, well buttered and soy sauced.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
8/23/21 4:33 p.m.

Do they even have salmon in the gutter?

White (Jasmine) rice cooked properly and asparagus.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/23/21 5:46 p.m.
NickD said:

TIL how fast a Budd Rail Diesel Car can stop from 45mph

Yikes!  I hope the answer was "Fast enough".

Azryael
Azryael Reader
8/23/21 11:27 p.m.

TIL that the Telecaster is the simplest guitar to attempt to build yourself, so I think I will be doing just that!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
8/24/21 12:07 a.m.

In reply to Azryael :

Years ago, Popular Mechanics published complete plans to build your own Telecaster clone. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/21 12:15 a.m.

TIL that in 1954 your thesis from engineering at MIT could be a heptane powered pogo stick.

There are blueprints necessary for building.

https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/95543?show=full

Azryael
Azryael Reader
8/24/21 1:12 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Wish I could get my hands on that, just to have it. I love paperback stuff.

I've decided on a 4-piece body, with the backside being most likely an Ash or Alder two-piece, and the top two-piece being that black walnut I was given. Not sure on neck yet, probably a maple, but I've got some purpleheart itching to become a fingerboard.

I have a few kit builds under my belt, with custom headstock shapes, some body shaping, and of course the installation of tuners, bridges, etc., but I want to make all the wood components myself. I feel the neck will be the most intimidating for me.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/24/21 8:13 a.m.

TIL that Michigan's Secretary of State office is still a PITA to deal with, but....

Even with another states DL, I was able to register one of my dads cars to drive before it's tooo damn cold.... :happy dance:

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
8/24/21 9:24 a.m.
RossD said:

TIL that baked salmon tastes great with soy sauce. I should have figured as such since I love salmon sushi/sashimi with soy sauce.

Lemme blow your mind.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/21 8:14 p.m.
RossD said:

Add a small dab of wasabi to the soy sauce and it'll be even better.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/25/21 5:00 p.m.

That with one 1971 Ford 3000 tractor, a small flat bed trailer hooked to said tractor and a Harbor Freight engine hoist that I could move a 250 gallon propane tank from the inaccessible back yard of the cabin to the driveway and replace it with a new 360 gallon tank.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Dork
8/25/21 7:24 p.m.

TIL that the car I bought in 2015 has a telescopic steering wheel.

I always thought the wheel was too close to the dash.

1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vEUiAdaoqkQSKatQR3uzWLLXq2pfoAyNFTmVnV0NxJRsT4F6MjsakSkg3Vw6JiRg