1 ... 150 151 152 153 154
mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/25/21 8:32 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to mtn :

A friend of mine is an OR nurse. She hasn't worked a normal week in over a year, and now they have been sending her to other hospitals in addition to her own. I have no idea how she keeps doing it. 

I've heard a ton of stories like that, and they've all made me... well, frankly, scared and worried. This one struck me because the nurse that told me about it said they still can't fill shifts, and said that the vaccine mandate isn't really effecting their staffing. 

<politics>If this keeps up, it is going to bankrupt us, or else lead us to universal healthcare - I'm not sure which one scares me most. </politics>

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/25/21 8:47 p.m.

Politics schmolitics.  It is only a political problem to people who want to make it one.  Depressingly horrifying current situation aside, it will be interesting to see what, if any, societal changes happen in the aftermath.

 

which by my estimation will be 2-4 years from now, the way some people seem to insist on dragging it out by pretending everything is fine.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/27/21 10:57 p.m.

That main jets in Mikuni carburettors, at least the older VM series, are threaded 1 BA,  a thread family that goes back close to the dawn of time.

In Metric terms  5.2 x 0.95, who would have thought smiley

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/29/21 2:28 p.m.

TIL when picking up my brother in law in his car, that they make bottle openers with bottle openers on them. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
9/29/21 4:35 p.m.

TIL that we have a torque wrench calibration setup at work, up to 1000 ft/lb

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
9/30/21 9:59 a.m.

It was actually last Saturday, but shooting a 1.5 in brad into your finger and out the nail does not really hurt all that bad.  The worst part was pulling the brad out, it wanted to hang onto the fingernail.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/21 10:24 a.m.
mtn said:

TIL when picking up my brother in law in his car, that they make bottle openers with bottle openers on them. 

I'm sure I'm going to feel like a complete idiot when this explained to me but can someone explain this to me?

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
9/30/21 10:30 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

It's a lighter with a bottle opener. Lighters make good bottle openers on their own. I have much better luck with actual bics than the oddly shaped generic lighters though.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/21 11:46 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to APEowner :

It's a lighter with a bottle opener. Lighters make good bottle openers on their own. I have much better luck with actual bics than the oddly shaped generic lighters though.

Thank you.  I guess I don't feel too stupid.  I never smoked and haven't drank in over 40 years and never could afford fancy beer with a pop tops so I was lacking some required life experience.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/21 12:11 p.m.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/21 9:03 a.m.

TIL when towing Patrick's old extended trailer with only one axle the top speed is 57mph. It's also a bitch to recover from the sway above that.

wae
wae UberDork
10/1/21 9:06 a.m.

TIL that Visio doesn't have an "autosave" feature turned on by default.  TI-also-L that despite the fact that my laptop has its power settings configured to hibernate after 15 minutes of on-battery idle time, it does not do that.  Instead it just hums along until the battery dies and it ungracefully shuts down.  That's a crapload of work that I detest doing down the drain.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/21 9:48 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Big ooof. That could easily go into the rant thread.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/1/21 10:12 a.m.
APEowner said:
RevRico said:

In reply to APEowner :

It's a lighter with a bottle opener. Lighters make good bottle openers on their own. I have much better luck with actual bics than the oddly shaped generic lighters though.

Thank you.  I guess I don't feel too stupid.  I never smoked and haven't drank in over 40 years and never could afford fancy beer with a pop tops so I was lacking some required life experience.

I don't smoke either, but carry a BIC lighter with me most of the time - mostly because I use the grill nearly daily and the self lighting button never works for more than a week it seems. It is surprising how often I end up using it. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/1/21 10:23 a.m.
mtn said:
APEowner said:
RevRico said:

In reply to APEowner :

It's a lighter with a bottle opener. Lighters make good bottle openers on their own. I have much better luck with actual bics than the oddly shaped generic lighters though.

Thank you.  I guess I don't feel too stupid.  I never smoked and haven't drank in over 40 years and never could afford fancy beer with a pop tops so I was lacking some required life experience.

I don't smoke either, but carry a BIC lighter with me most of the time - mostly because I use the grill nearly daily and the self lighting button never works for more than a week it seems. It is surprising how often I end up using it. 

A friend is alive because of a Bic lighter.  Heading across Nemeben Lake in northern Saskatchewan, a bit too late in the year, and a bit too windy.  His boat turned over, he grabbed onto a chest of drawers and got to an island, where he was able to get his Bic lighter dried and a fire going.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/21 11:15 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
mtn said:
APEowner said:
RevRico said:

In reply to APEowner :

It's a lighter with a bottle opener. Lighters make good bottle openers on their own. I have much better luck with actual bics than the oddly shaped generic lighters though.

Thank you.  I guess I don't feel too stupid.  I never smoked and haven't drank in over 40 years and never could afford fancy beer with a pop tops so I was lacking some required life experience.

I don't smoke either, but carry a BIC lighter with me most of the time - mostly because I use the grill nearly daily and the self lighting button never works for more than a week it seems. It is surprising how often I end up using it. 

A friend is alive because of a Bic lighter.  Heading across Nemeben Lake in northern Saskatchewan, a bit too late in the year, and a bit too windy.  His boat turned over, he grabbed onto a chest of drawers and got to an island, where he was able to get his Bic lighter dried and a fire going.

I carried a fancy Zippo that came with a used car purchase for a while but I didn't end up using it enough to make it worth carrying.  I think it's with my camping gear along with a flint and steel.   I stopped camping decades ago when I finally admitted to myself that I really only enjoy the idea of camping and that I found actual activity unpleasant.

 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
10/1/21 11:25 a.m.
mtn said:

TIL that our local hospital system is paying RNs triple their base rate for any overtime hours, and they still can't get them filled. 
 

Burnout is real, and it is going to cost everyone. 

My city's trauma center and biggest employer in the state has gone on complete diversion- every bed is filled, only patients that can come in are Active CPR in progress. The 7 other facilities are 80-90% capacity. This happens every month.

This isn't politics. This is just facts, things that each day can be pointed to that tens of thousands work in including myself. This kind of thing is a constant day of work for us, because these weaklings cannot accept that they have to change their lives in any way, even for their own sake. They cannot make the most basic of sacrifices- comfort, i.e. Mask use- to assist anyone else or themselves, literal weaponized selfishness. I have to kick families out of my hospital every week now, and the behavior goes to such absurd lengths that they will even reject gowns and gloves with cancer patients, C-Diff infections, or other virulent diseases because how dare you tell me what to do!

These plague rats can't die fast enough. Already we're having more and more deaths of people waiting for care in the ERs because of the overload. JCAHO supposedly is to prevent this but they maintain a WIDE berth, showing that they have no desire to show how bad things really are. Tennessee's healthcare system is being propped up by the national guard at this point, per doctors on reddit.

Lead to either complete collapse or socalized medicine

I know someone said it, sorry I can't attach it properly. 

Honestly, both. I can slap down way more facts if you want, but our healthcare system is run by insurance companies now and hospitals are forced to become massive, non-profit entities just to control costs. I think it's now over 75% of our healthcare system is now non-profit and it's become massively monopolized in the last 5 years.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/1/21 8:06 p.m.

On a lighter note, TIL 7% of all potatoes grown in the US are destined to become McDonald's french fries.  Specifically McDonald's.

 

Seven percent.

 

 

By my estimation, this means that 1% of potato yield will be destined to be crammed in the floor of your average SUV, especially the battery box on that one GM with the battery under the passenger side floor.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/1/21 8:48 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

On a lighter note, TIL 7% of all potatoes grown in the US are destined to become McDonald's french fries.  Specifically McDonald's.

I reckon 100% of McDonald's French fries specifically are McDonald's French fries. laugh

 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/2/21 10:49 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I completely agree with your post and there's  much of it that has me angry with people I thought were friends at one point. 

Early on our hospitals were packed and people were turned away. Jodi was one of those people. A few weeks prior to her passing she needed to be taken by ambulance to the hospital, barely conscious with pneumonia. Hours later she was pumped full of antibiotics and sent home. At the time I was overjoyed at what was practically a miracle.  In retrospect they just got her mobile enough to go home because they couldn't keep her and treat her. She could not get proper care from me, the pneumonia never got better and I lost her.  Now a year and a berkeleying half later we have ways to prevent this from happening but (angry political comments) are proud to not trust doctors but the motherberkeleying hypocrites run to an emergency room and the doctors they don't trust as soon as they can't breathe instead of dying like the brave independent thinkers they claim to be. 
 

Hospital staff has to run ragged saving these idiots from themselves, their families are losing someone they inexplicably give a E36 M3 about, and no one else can get needed help.  Meanwhile the rest of us are somewhat held hostage by these spreadnecks until enough of them die off and hope no one they care about is taken with them
 

I'm completely out of empathy. One of my best friends is an ER nurse who is work 6-7 12 hr shifts a week in an understaffed hospital, my cousin in Texas had his 7 year old twins both came home from school with 102 degree fevers and test positive.  Meanwhile half of the country is ok with this because politics. 
 

 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
10/2/21 11:30 a.m.

That GRM got a shout out on the Car Week Special — The Carmudgeon Show — Ep. 45 reference their party during Car Week.

Yourself
Yourself New Reader
10/2/21 12:32 p.m.

TIL what they are:  Plague Rats. 

Thank you GIRTHQUAKE for adding that to my vocabulary! I promise I will use it wisely.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/5/21 8:53 p.m.

TIL that when you fill out Captcha's you are teaching computers how to read crappy text or recognize streets signs, traffic lights etc.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/5/21 10:08 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Well, something has to be able to figure those pictures out, because I've never managed to pass one yet.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/21 12:38 p.m.

TIL that dual vision contacts are berkeleying awesome.  I should have done this 3 years ago.

1 ... 150 151 152 153 154
Our Preferred Partners
xd0OyQwUbq7EVEZLlN20MEOhBQ4IRGeGM5GJCzBzxtiPDKyI9MEJkxk0EVa0K18D