1 ... 151 152 153 154 155 ... 213
Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/8/21 1:11 p.m.

TIL mice prefer sweet and sour sauce.  This was in a trash bag with BBQ and ghost pepper ranch packets in addition to uneaten fries and a chunk of a nugget, all of which were untouched.

Bastard had to drag it out of the bag and off the floor mat before opening it.  Had he left it in the bag he could have come back for more later as I'd never know.

I'm using the rest to bait a bucket trap I'll throw in the car, I bet I get him tonight.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Dork
10/9/21 8:10 p.m.

TIL

Keith Richards, yes THAT Keith Richards, was in a 1949 episode of The Lone Ranger.

He would have been about 6.

Somewhat related pic:

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/21 12:55 p.m.

TIL that VW apparently made a small number of W12 Touaregs.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/13/21 1:00 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Because what could possibly go wrong.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/13/21 1:02 p.m.
Duke said:
BoxheadTim said:

I'm going to bet they probably were still better than the V10 TDI Touaregs. I've read the horror stories of those beasts.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/13/21 1:03 p.m.

TIL how to do a relative compression test with our Picoscope at work. It's pretty damn cool. And easy.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/21 1:10 p.m.
Duke said:
BoxheadTim said:

All the check engine lights!

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/21 2:00 p.m.

TIL that there is a utility/server for my mac (but also pretty much all computers) that serves as a bridge between my Nest devices and Apple's HomeKit- which means that I can now just ask Siri what the Nest is set to when The Dancer asks me like she does pretty much every night (despite the fact that it is always set to the same thing unless she's asked me to adjust it up or down in the prior hour or so). Annoyingly it doesn't seem to report what the actual inside temp is though- just the range that the thermostat is set to.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/21 3:31 p.m.

TIL that Craigslist charges $5 to post an ad for a vehicle. I have subsequently found that is not new at all but I don't like it...

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/14/21 8:41 a.m.

In reply to New York Nick :

Yes they charge, which means yes there are fewer ads than previously. But I've found the response rate to ads has gone way up, both as a buyer and as seller. If you find a car you like and message the seller you'll actually get a reply now! There are fewer people just messing around posting cars they're "thinking" about selling. If you put a car up, people actually interested in buying a car call you! It's weird. It's not all sunshine and roses, but something focusing happens when you actually charge for a listing and it seems like in general it's been an improvement.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/14/21 8:57 a.m.

They charge every time you renew the ad too, so use that as a negotiating tactic. That can build up to hundreds of dollars in a hurry if they're trying to stay on top

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/14/21 9:30 a.m.
NickD said:
Duke said:
BoxheadTim said:

I'm going to bet they probably were still better than the V10 TDI Touaregs. I've read the horror stories of those beasts.

I was over at the VW store a few years ago, and one of the techs had an entire v10 powertrain out to change a turbo, or oil filter, or something.

The engine looked almost exactly like a Borg Cube.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/14/21 10:12 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
NickD said:
Duke said:
BoxheadTim said:

I was over at the VW store a few years ago, and one of the techs had an entire v10 powertrain out to change a turbo, or oil filter, or something.

The engine looked almost exactly like a Borg Cube.

A testimonial of a guy who owned one:

As a former owner, allow me to remind you of the basics:

- 5.0 liter v10 twin turbo diesel

- Electronically controlled air suspension with SIX INCHES of adjustable height with “x-tra offroad mode”

- Electronically controlled center AND rear diff lockers

- 4 zone climate control

- 2 full-time batteries - one responsible for accessories, one responsible for starting, but BOTH sharing responsibilities if the other failed (more on that)

Let me share some of the joys of owning one for exactly one year:

1. One turbo failed. This required dropping the entire drivetrain out of the bottom of the vehicle. ~30 hours and special equipment and a ~$1400 turbo later, it didn’t work right. And that was the dealer master mechanic “fixing” it. I won’t get into things like the dealer breaking and then re-installing the broken driveshaft, as I blame that on the dealer.

2. One battery failed. The one under the driver seat. The driver seat that requires a 17mm triple square socket to remove. Because one battery failed, a complex and untraceable decision-making process was performed by the vehicle and it decided it wouldn’t start with either battery but it WOULD continue to allow battery drain from various accessories. I had to replace both batteries ($250/per battery at Wal-mart rates believe it or not). One battery was under that seat, the other required 18 10mm bolts to be removed. EIGHTEEN.

I actually bought an aftermarket warranty that paid for $7k worth of work conducted in that one year of ownership. I then sold it - firesale style - and it had drivetrain issues. 

I believe alternator, turbos, thermostat/cooling system work.... you have to drop the motor. And when I say drop the motor, I mean drop the drivetrain. And when I say drop the drivetrain, I mean use a special lift and tools that can handle the weight of an aluminum-block 5.0 liter diesel engine and transmissions.

Seriously, parts were scarce but the main thing that made me sell it is no one could work on it and even the knowledge base online was scarce. It was terrifying to own as a DD because you literally could have a part fail with no warning and struggle to source parts and a reliable mechanic to do the work within weeks.

That’s what happened to me—a turbo failed and it was two weeks and me running around to get it “fixed” and they still broke the driveshaft.

Another: 

I was waiting to pipe in the same. The W8 is a camry (ok, maybe more like a 10 year old former rental car Malibu) compared to the V10 TDI. I still own one and just in the last 6 months it’s cost me $4280 (failed center drive shaft bearing, failed glow plug and had all 10 replaced).

I had to laugh at the ‘do you own an engine hoist’ on the ‘Should I buy a Passat flowchart’. Engine hoist, ha! You would be so lucky with a V10. The VW dealers all had to install special split fork lifts just to service Touareg V10's! As you pointed out the entire body has be separated from the drivetrain/chassis to do any engine or transmission work. I also had a failed turbo. That was also covered under an extended warranty that paid out somewhere around $10k before it expired. I only paid $1500 for it and it was bumper to bumper, $0 deductible, 3 years from purchase date. I was on a loss mitigation spreadsheet somewhere....

...Now that it’s out of warranty I have my own loss mitigation spreadsheet...

Another:

Former VW Service Advisor here (again).

Ah, yes, the Touareg V10 TDI. One of the most interesting and horrifying Volkswagens of the modern time. Let’s take something hideously complicated – mostly for the sake of complication – and cram it into a half-baked SUV foisted onto the dealers and customers for beta-testing. Looking at the engine, one cannot help but be reminded of some of the more outrageous mechanical German military inventions circa WW2.

Apropos, if nothing. Insert joke here.

Many of the issues have been covered elsewhere – turbos, driveshaft center support bearing, glow plugs, many electrical issues, etc., so I won’t regurgitate. Actually, most of the electrical issues – keys and proximity sensors, tire pressure sensors, tailgate switch, gauge clusters, HID bulbs and the fragile headlight units – were Touareg problems as opposed to TDI-specific problems (minus the glow plugs, of course).

As I recall, the electronic turbocharger control module was somehow matched to the turbo and wastegate itself, so when one piece died you replaced everything as a unit. And, yes, the entire engine/transmission/front suspension drop out the bottom onto VW Special Tool #HolyCrapItsAnElectricTable for almost anything related to engine repairs.

We had two of those tables. Because Volkswagens break a lot. Oddly, the tables always worked.

Strong, fast truck, though, and one of the few vehicles I’ve driven that would noisily threaten to overpower its massive brakes. Which is something. Firewall the throttle, and the rush feels endless. You run out of road before you run out of V10.

Its funny that VW introduced the V10 TDI in 2004, then dropped the option in 2005 due to emission compliance issues before it returned in 2006. A bit of foreshadowing perhaps. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/21 10:39 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

"oddly, the tables always worked."  classic.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/21 12:41 p.m.
dculberson said:

Yes they charge, which means yes there are fewer ads than previously. But I've found the response rate to ads has gone way up, both as a buyer and as seller. If you find a car you like and message the seller you'll actually get a reply now! There are fewer people just messing around posting cars they're "thinking" about selling. If you put a car up, people actually interested in buying a car call you! It's weird. It's not all sunshine and roses, but something focusing happens when you actually charge for a listing and it seems like in general it's been an improvement.

It's the administration equivalent of putting something up for a token price instead of $free, just to cut down on the time wasters.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/21 6:13 p.m.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/21 6:51 p.m.

" Electronically controlled center AND rear diff lockers"

Note to self: Look for V10 Touaregs in the pick n pull.

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/14/21 6:53 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

" Electronically controlled center AND rear diff lockers"

Note to self: Look for V10 Touaregs in the pick n pull.

Audi had vacuum controlled center and rear diff lockers on all quattro models before 1989 or 1990.

Around that timeframe they went to Torsen center diffs, but they had an electrically controlled vacuum solenoid for the rear locker on the '90 and '91 80/90/Coupe Quattro.  They unlocked it over 25mph so the ABS would work the way they wanted it to, but in those pre-CAN days, you just had to cut a wire to keep that from happening.

It's fun to play with but man, on pavement it makes the handling go from understeer to phenomenal understeer.  On snow or mud, it makes the handling go from understeer to phenomenal understeer unless you throw the car around, which is difficult because the steering angle is really more of a suggestion to vehicle dynamics rather than a direct control.  I've in car video on mud where I'm going from lock to lock in a corner and the angle of the vehicle is not changing very much.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/21 8:48 p.m.

TIL:

Yo-yos side-by-side

Duncan introduced the “butterfly” shape (above right) by simply reversing the halves of a traditional “Imperial” yo-yo (above left). The butterfly allows the player to catch the yo-yo on the string easily allowing for better tricks. Both types are still produced today. Source: Wisconsin Historical Museum object #s 1978.404.42 & 2001.83.13

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/21 10:23 p.m.

TIL 

Don't do it. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/21 5:42 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

It's fun to play with but man, on pavement it makes the handling go from understeer to phenomenal understeer.  On snow or mud, it makes the handling go from understeer to phenomenal understeer unless you throw the car around, which is difficult because the steering angle is really more of a suggestion to vehicle dynamics rather than a direct control.  I've in car video on mud where I'm going from lock to lock in a corner and the angle of the vehicle is not changing very much.

I agree, but the use cases I have in mind are outside those scenarios.  Beaches and trails for me. I want to add an E-locker to my 4Runner, though for the sand an LSD would probably work just fine. Granted, I don't think the units will fit in my Toyota, bit I always like having an idea of things I can pull at the junkyard that I may be able to turn around for a quick profit.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/17/21 8:11 p.m.

TIL that plastic automotive fuses have tiny openings at the top so you can touch the contacts with multimeter leads for testing.  I can't believe I have been working on cars for over 20 years and never noticed that.

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/17/21 8:18 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

TIL that plastic automotive fuses have tiny openings at the top so you can touch the contacts with multimeter leads for testing.  I can't believe I have been working on cars for over 20 years and never noticed that.

Wait until you find out that there are charts for the voltage drop across a fuse relative to current going through it. 

If you have a voltmeter that can read microvolts, you measure the voltage drop, check the chart for a ATC 15 amp fuse or whatever you are working with, and you can tell with a high degree of accuracy in the milliamp range.

This makes finding a parasitic draw MUCH easier.  If you do the pull-a-fuse method, you risk causing modules to wake up when you plug it back in, and then you have to wait 5-40 minutes.  Or it might have BEEN the problem, but cutting power unsticks the faulty transistor or whatever.  This way you can check every circuit in the fusebox for its current draw, live, in only a couple minutes.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/17/21 8:23 p.m.

If you set mouse traps in the garage then leave the door open, they become bird traps.  Oops, I’ll hide them better next time.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/17/21 9:18 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

A video that showed those charts is actually how I learned about it laugh

1 ... 151 152 153 154 155 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HrpXYeIMgKUp7OE6aGWgk2UTXEhoyfuIv24hioGia13OiFJ9ZMRfDHJ8K4bDC96g