1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 ... 213
akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/18/21 10:02 a.m.
akylekoz said:

If you set mouse traps in the garage then leave the door open, they become bird traps.  Oops, I’ll hide them better next time.

If you leave them in the basement they become dog nose pinchers.  I learned that one a long time ago.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/19/21 10:29 a.m.

I have learned this over the past few days. Facebook is pretty powerful. I haven't been on Facebook in more than a decade and I usually don't miss it one bit. I decided to sell my Cushman Trackster. I put it up on Craigslist locally and had minimal reaction. I asked Mrs. NYN put it on A Facebook group and had 3 people with full price offers fighting for who could buy it. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/19/21 10:44 a.m.

In reply to New York Nick :

Ugh, yeah, I have never set up a Facebook account and don't want to. But the marketplace reach has me wavering.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/19/21 11:53 a.m.

I'd recommend if you do that, do not ever add friends or go to any content whatsoever.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/19/21 12:58 p.m.

I have been watching the Marketplace for a while so you can see the huge selection and why CL is dying but this wasn't even the Marketplace, it was one of the user groups. If you have some strange thing that has a limited audience it brings them all to one spot, not unlike this place but wow FB efficient at it.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/19/21 1:06 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Oh god yes, I've heard secondhand the things some of my family members post and I would burn bridges and lose friendships over it if I was reading it and had a reply button.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/21 9:02 p.m.

TIL that Tom Smothers was a state champion gymnast.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
10/20/21 12:50 a.m.

TIL that the Velux skylight in my kitchen is actually made in South Carolina. Even upside down it still works a treat smiley

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/20/21 7:04 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Also a Yo-Yo champ.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/20/21 8:48 a.m.

TIL that my wife's Chinese Swedish car was built in Italy.

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/20/21 10:43 a.m.

TIL all dead lithium tool batteries may not really be dead. 

Got a two Milwaukee lithium driver drills for our Habitat for Humanity a couple of years ago, along with two chargers and four batteries.  All were donated to Habitat International, so we got them for the cost of shipping.  With the pandemic, none had ever actually been used.  We are going to be building a wheelchair ramp soon, so decided to get everything charged up and ready.  Put a couple of batteries on the fast chargers and went away to let them charge.  Came back and the charger is flashing red/green.  Tried the other two with the same result. Looked up the red/green code and it is supposed to mean that the batteries are over temp or are defective. 

I had a hard time believing that new batteries could actually be gone, so started looking for an explanation.  Turns out, Google was my friend.  Apparently, lithium batteries can get so dead that the charger no longer recognizes them, so you have to get enough of a charge into them so the charger sees them.   Got a couple of short pieces of sheet metal to slide between the contacts (which were labeled - win!), then got out my Schumacher battery charger and set to 10 amps.  Positive to positive, negative to negative to negative.  Let each charge for about 10 minutes, then put each on the fast charger. 

Batteries recognized and completely charged in about thirty minutes.

Don't know why I didn't know this.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/20/21 11:11 a.m.

In reply to CJ (FS) :

That was a good way to breathe life back into nicad batteries too.

daeman
daeman Dork
10/20/21 3:20 p.m.

In reply to CJ (FS) :

Seems to be a feature in a lot of battery chargers. I'd often have to "jump start" chargers when I was working on battery powered cleaning equipment by hooking a booster pack to the dead battery/batteries in order to get the voltage up enough for the charger to kick in. Once the charger had been running a few minutes I could take the booster off and leave the charger to do it's thing.

I have a "smart" charger that is the same when it comes to car batteries which can be pretty annoying. Lucky I inherited an older charger that would try and change a rock if you can get a complete circut.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/21 9:59 p.m.

TIL that all wheel drive E46s with manual trans had ZF transmissions, not Getrag.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/26/21 8:08 a.m.

Fatboy Slim's song "Weapon of Choice" is pretty much a giant Dune reference.

"Walk without rhythm, and it won't attract the worm."

"Listen to the tone of my voice..."

"It's gone beyond being a man...

Apparently the whole title "Weapon of Choice" and that being his Voice, is a reference to using The Voice as a weapon...

Azryael
Azryael Reader
10/28/21 12:11 a.m.

TIL that my unborn son goes bonkers when he hears my voice, and will express his displeasure if I have to leave for work.

I never expected him to be so active, but the wife tells me he's most active when he can hear me. I'm getting more and more excited to meet this little man!

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/28/21 10:45 a.m.

Some guy (I presume in eastern europe somewhere) is building a Quadra Vtech from Cyberpunk out of an rx8. From scratch. It's both as awesome and amatuer as you expect.

https://youtu.be/L51jq69DA5E

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/28/21 10:48 a.m.

TIL that Borla Exhausts got their start building reproduction exhausts for Ferrari and Rolls-Royce restorations.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/28/21 10:56 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

Fatboy Slim's song "Weapon of Choice" is pretty much a giant Dune reference.

"Walk without rhythm, and it won't attract the worm."

"Listen to the tone of my voice..."

"It's gone beyond being a man...

Apparently the whole title "Weapon of Choice" and that being his Voice, is a reference to using The Voice as a weapon...

TIL that there are discernable lyrics in Weapon of Choice.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/21 5:33 p.m.

TIL that there is something known as the Maine Solar System Model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyMnFyPCwFQ&t=1s

From the website:

It’s a science exhibit on a grand scale, a tourism destination, and a fun, family-friendly adventure. The MSS Model is the largest 3-D scale model of the solar system in the western hemisphere and the second largest such model in the world. Established by the University of Maine at Presque Isle and the northern Maine community, this model extends for nearly 100 miles along U.S. Route 1, from the Sun at UMPI to the dwarf planet Eris in Topsfield.

The model has a scale of 1:93 million, which makes one mile equal to the distance from the Earth to the Sun, an “astronomical unit”. 

https://www.mainesolarsystem.com/?fbclid=IwAR3wZtLvbHwrxDALosoJtbSFXVvxabKySUS-Nn7qEDVM2wePXYeU6Qt9FQ4

Also...Uranus is in Bridgewater Town Hall

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/21 7:17 p.m.

TIL that Audi made a Q7 6.0 with a V12 Diesel engine. Never was available over here though, that particular madness only got up to the Touareg V10. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
10/28/21 7:22 p.m.

Just saw this on the local station’s “Main streets & back roads of New England” last night.  They did a whole thing on Aroostook County Maine last night where this is.  Also, heh you said Uranus.   devil

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/28/21 7:30 p.m.

The Cleveland Metroparks has something similar, but the scale is 1 foot = 1,000,000 miles.  (Or 1:5,280,000,000)

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/events/solrwalk.html

Basically, queue up Planet Caravan on your Walkman and go have a stroll...

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
10/28/21 9:07 p.m.

A while ago I learned that the earth is 238,000 miles from the moon, so I made that my goal life expectancy for vehicles. I figure if a car makes it the same distance as a trip to the moon it no longer owes me anything. I'll keep driving it after that, but it's done its time.

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/28/21 9:26 p.m.
gearheadmb said:

A while ago I learned that the earth is 238,000 miles from the moon, so I made that my goal life expectancy for vehicles. I figure if a car makes it the same distance as a trip to the moon it no longer owes me anything. I'll keep driving it after that, but it's done its time.

SO CLOSE

1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hiIMr2VrSCKdou69qMeE9694kNRk45PdIUpgmEaFGMCx5Zqm9IflPPEDtns5Wc6l