1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 ... 213
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/29/21 12:48 a.m.
gearheadmb said:

A while ago I learned that the earth is 238,000 miles from the moon, so I made that my goal life expectancy for vehicles. I figure if a car makes it the same distance as a trip to the moon it no longer owes me anything. I'll keep driving it after that, but it's done its time.

Yeah, but at that distance...its stranded you on the Moon.

wae
wae UberDork
10/29/21 8:31 a.m.

TIL:  Apparently there is some sort of glitter that they're using in the Euro so it's illegal to sell now.  Some outfit used to make dice with that glitter before the ban but had to change to a different glitter.  Apparently the dice with the old glitter in them sells for stupid amounts of money.  And, apparently, people can not only tell the difference but they actually care about the difference.  What a weird world we live in....

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/29/21 8:48 a.m.
wae said:

TIL:  Apparently there is some sort of glitter that they're using in the Euro so it's illegal to sell now.  Some outfit used to make dice with that glitter before the ban but had to change to a different glitter.  Apparently the dice with the old glitter in them sells for stupid amounts of money.  And, apparently, people can not only tell the difference but they actually care about the difference.  What a weird world we live in....

I think that all glitter should be outlawed, and I don't care if that is ridiculous government overreach. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/29/21 10:53 a.m.

Glitter is the VD of arts & crafts, but...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/21 12:14 p.m.
wae said:

"The government" forced a change, therefore the old stuff is better.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/29/21 12:17 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Producing and selling craft herpes should be against the Geneva convention.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/21 7:02 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/30/21 7:29 a.m.

Geez, how the hell am I going to sleep now?

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/6/21 7:41 p.m.

...that on most modern dishwashers you can remove the upper rack easily.

Now I have room for the oven racks.

Neat!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/21 10:58 p.m.

There is a direct descendancy between the carburetors used on Flathead Fords and the Digifant fuel injection used on Volkswagens in the 80s and early 90s.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/7/21 6:49 a.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

...that on most modern dishwashers you can remove the upper rack easily.

Now I have room for the oven racks.

Neat!

I used to clean industrial restaurant racks by putting them in a trash bag with some vinegar.  A few hours later it just rinses off to shiny chrome.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/7/21 10:48 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Cool! That's good to know. I'd soaked these in a sink of diluted Simple Green before the dishwasher and they're a lot better, but not sparkling clean.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/7/21 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

I soak mine in a sink with a dissolved dishwasher pod for 6 hours or so.

It works great but depending on the relative sizes of your oven and sink you may need to do one end and then the other.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/7/21 12:45 p.m.

This weekend I learned the 3m ultra headlight repair kit is well worth the $13

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/7/21 12:45 p.m.

Another option is a power washer. 

kazoospec
kazoospec PowerDork
11/7/21 5:38 p.m.

TIL:  Giving a puppy a bath is like riding a motorcycle through a car wash.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/7/21 6:15 p.m.

TIL that just buying a new bedspread gives your whole bedroom that new car smell.

It's like a complete remodel, no, it's like a complete lifestyle change.

Thank you BB&B, I'm a renewed man ready to handle whatever life throws at me. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
11/7/21 6:45 p.m.

TIL that the "used Porsche" seats I bought for my turbo Miata are in fact 996 GT3 alcantara race seats and both very fancy and highly sought after by porschefiles.  Well worth the $200 I paid for them.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/7/21 6:51 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

surprise That was a good buy. Let us know how mounting them goes.

TIL (the other day actually) that Tegaderm exists. This E36 M3 is magical. My thumb had a bit of a run in with a kitchen knife while I was chopping vegetables, and it's the only thing I've found that will actually conform to a fingertip. And, it's transparent, which is even more fun.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
11/7/21 7:28 p.m.
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to KyAllroad :

surprise That was a good buy. Let us know how mounting them goes.

TIL (the other day actually) that Tegaderm exists. This E36 M3 is magical. My thumb had a bit of a run in with a kitchen knife while I was chopping vegetables, and it's the only thing I've found that will actually conform to a fingertip. And, it's transparent, which is even more fun.

Tegaderm is awesome stuff. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
11/7/21 7:57 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) :

They were a royal PITA to install.  But they fit well and hold me in place nicely.

Tegaderm is neat stuff.  We used it a lot in the ER.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/21 6:22 a.m.

TIL: Possibly the most Connecticut thing I've ever read.

https://todayincthistory.com/2021/11/14/november-14-paul-sperry-and-his-dog-invent-the-boat-shoe/?fbclid=IwAR3irneT3TO0urmLdezfZUQZy8tClr0ng3Douemkx0yOCNDYRnhvY93upKM

November 14: Paul Sperry and His Canine Sole Mate Invent the Boat Shoe

Today in 1939, New Haven-born sailor-turned-shoemaker Paul Sperry received a patent for one of the most famous and enduring pieces of American footwear: the Sperry Top-Sider, or “boat shoe.”

Born in 1895, Sperry’s life revolved around the sea; growing up along the Connecticut coast, he developed a lifelong love for sailing at an early age. He served in the U.S. Navy Reserve during World War I, and briefly went into business designing handcrafted duck decoys at the war’s end. In the 1930s, after slipping on the freshly refinished deck of his yacht and falling overboard into Long Island Sound, Sperry experimented with making a shoe that would better grip the smooth, lacquered, and often wet surface of boat decks.

Inspiration struck after Sperry observed his beloved cocker spaniel Prince run over a patch of ice without losing his footing. Intrigued, Sperry studied the bottom of Prince’s paw, and concluded the canine’s natural grip resulted from a series of intricate, fine grooves covering his footpad. Sperry converted Prince’s naturally-occurring paw patterns into a tight series of herringbone grooves, carved into natural white rubber, and placed the sole underneath a stylish, low-profile canvas shoe, and called his creation the Top-Sider — a reference to the shoe’s ability to grip the surface of slippery boat decks.

A Sperry Top-Sider ad from the World War II era.

On November 14, 1939, Sperry received a U.S. Patent for his novel shoe sole design; by that time, he had already set up shop in New Haven and his Top-Siders were well on their way to becoming an American fashion icon. During World War II, he scored a lucrative contract with the U.S. Navy, providing thousands of slip-resistant boat shoes for American sailors and ensuring that his brand would be more popular than ever upon their return home. Further popularized by trend-setters like the Kennedy family, Top-Siders were firmly established as an East Coast fashion icon by mid-century, and are still regarded as a hallmark of “preppy” fashion around the world today.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/21 12:42 p.m.

TIL that there is a road in town called "Berkmore Place".

Cue juvenile forum-induced giggle.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/21 1:42 p.m.

TIL, the Dodge Challenger is considered a "sports car" and is poised to become the best selling Sports Car in 2021.

Yeah, I'm confused as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/qulick/for_the_first_time_in_history_the_dodge/

At least the Altima discussion is on point.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/21 4:10 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

TIL, the Dodge Challenger is considered a "sports car" and is poised to become the best selling Sports Car in 2021.

*grabs popcorn* Here we go...

1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LpsuW6le6tLHauTq6JAXKTuM6yQ4kdVGdJIDhgooO05opUcK9HkdopwRBptGUTxb