1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 ... 213
Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/23/22 12:47 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Are you going to make that RWD with a FRS/BRZ transmission?

Scott

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/22 1:18 p.m.

Today I learned about LP Street Can drums and A&F snare drums. I have an irrational want for both.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/24/22 8:50 a.m.

TIL to not to dawdle when you want something.  Don't think, jump.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/24/22 9:16 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Thunderbird? Gorgeous. So did you miss out or is it in your driveway?

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody MegaDork
1/24/22 9:20 a.m.
914Driver said:

TIL to not dawdle when you want something.  Don't think, jump.

It's one thing to learn the lesson. It's quite another to apply it.

Ask me how I know

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/24/22 9:44 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to 914Driver :

Thunderbird? Gorgeous. So did you miss out or is it in your driveway?

I'm assuming he validated his "Don't think, jump" strategy.

If so, nice score - that's minty fresh.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody MegaDork
1/24/22 10:35 a.m.

TIL that the Greddy Rebic III that's been sitting in a box in my closet for the better part of 20 years is now worth about 3 times what I paid for it.

Yikes

Made me wonder. I still have the Wieand single plane intake my Dad gave me for my 19th birthday hanging on a post in my barn. Will that stuff ever be worth anything?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/24/22 11:12 a.m.

Gorgeous white '59 with no power at the engine.  I suspect leaky valves, no matter for the price it's an easy fix.

Yeah, I dorked around a day too long.  Lingering on the idea of SWMBO squeaking that into a garage and my response when she pinstripes the sides of the car.  Probably best I go for a Falcon.  =~ )

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
1/25/22 2:23 a.m.

I've heard tales of the legendary "baby grip", but my son is STRONG; when he clutches my finger, he's got no intention of letting it go.

Not yet 36 hours old, and I'm already learning so much about him. Seems that for the next few years, I'll be learning new things each and every day. Can't wait to get him into classic PC gaming, music, and of course wrenching on things old and new.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/22 8:50 a.m.

In reply to Azryael :

Congratulations!! 

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
1/26/22 11:10 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you! Becoming a dad just makes you so much more hyper aware of things again.

Today I learned that the Nissan Cube was built opposite for RHD markets. Even looked into it myself. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/28/22 8:24 a.m.

TIL that Paul Newman joined the Nave in WWII to be a pilot.  He was denied due to color blindness, served on the USS Hollandia and USS Bunker Hill as an Aviation Radioman.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/22 9:49 a.m.

TIL that 2018 Honda 1.5l A/C compressors leak just like the 2017s.

Honda compressors come sans clutch. This is the first time I have R&Red a clutch that did not involve copious amounts of rust and aluminum oxide, and prayers to the gods of Sanden, Denso, and York that the circlip grooves had enough shoulder left to hold it all together.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/28/22 10:10 a.m.

TIL that Deep Roy played Simon Pegg's assistant chief engineer in the JJ Abrams Star Trek series.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
1/28/22 9:35 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Duke said:

In reply to wae :

1 part decent, medium price unflavored vodka

3 parts orange or cranberry juice of your choice - add sugar if you really need to

Stir and enjoy.

Or even $4 gas station 21%ABV vodka and Kool-Aid mix, if you want.

Most states other than Ohio don't have the low-octane gas station/supermarket liquor we do. People from other states come here are like "Holy crap! They sell liquor at the gas station! It's $6 a fifth! And they leave it sitting right there on the shelf out in the open!" Then they get it home and are like "What the hell is this?" The real trick is that it's all the regular brands, not "Freddy's XXX Vodka" or anything. It Says Stoli, looks like Stoli, it smells like Stoli but why am I still sober after 3 of them?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/28/22 9:47 p.m.

Today I learned from my Aunt that my deceased mom (2004) was the oldest grandchild out of 24 grandchildren. 

Also she was born at home (1936) cause my grandfather after graduating high school in 1930 didn't have a great job and money was tight.  I have her birth certificate and pulled it and somehow I missed that fact.  

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/29/22 5:37 a.m.

Ottawa is a busy place right now, and quite loud. 

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/31/22 2:05 p.m.

TIL that the undersea cables that provide Internet are about the diameter of a US or CDN quarter.  I knew they were fibre optic, but I was stunned to learnt they were so small overall.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/1/22 11:07 a.m.
ZOO (Forum Supporter) said:

TIL that the undersea cables that provide Internet are about the diameter of a US or CDN quarter.  I knew they were fibre optic, but I was stunned to learnt they were so small overall.

Whoa. Like the whole cable? Or is that the diameter of the fiber line itself and there is protective sheathing and junk around that?

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/1/22 11:19 a.m.
iansane said:

Whoa. Like the whole cable? Or is that the diameter of the fiber line itself and there is protective sheathing and junk around that?

Interestngly, the deep water cables are smaller in diameter than the shallow water ones.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/60150/10-facts-about-internets-undersea-cables

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/22 11:48 a.m.

In reply to ZOO (Forum Supporter) :

Well yeah, they are compressed by the higher water pressure.

smiley

Honsch
Honsch Reader
2/1/22 12:13 p.m.
iansane said:

The glass fiber itself is probably around 125 micron diameter.  Everything else is just to protect it.
There will be more than one fiber in the cable.

wae
wae PowerDork
2/1/22 10:37 p.m.

TIL:  According to GM, "chuggles" is a word.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
2/1/22 10:44 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Yes, but they also spell instrument "gage"

1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qvMZyjv0A46SG3kmF5BweQLE1SkaVkLVzYIBK9yYbubEJSryqxMWUCZRuJJWofdD