1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 ... 213
mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/15/22 9:34 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to Karacticus :

Ouch. 

It always sucks seriously injuring yourself doing mundane things... when I snapped my Achilles (hard to believe it's been like 6-7 years now) everyone who knew me assumed that it happened biking... and then looked dumbfounded when I said "No, I was pushing a car..."

Better than my gym-bro cousin who is in tremendous physical shape. He snapped his walking up the stairs.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/15/22 4:18 p.m.

Cracking eggs open for frying, best use a sharp knife instead of the side of the spatula; fewer egg shell fragments.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/20/22 1:04 a.m.

TIL Segway has a powersports division making gas and gas hybrid side-by-sides 

https://segwaypowersports.us/villain/

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
3/21/22 9:35 a.m.

TIL just how much abuse the clutch in the Zoomboni could take before giving up.

After two years in my possession, many many autocross runs and the drags at the Challenge, yesterday was the end of the line for what was probably a well used and abused clutch.  By my third run I'd step on the throttle and the car would rev but not really accelerate and started smelling very "burny".

Still managed a 9th of 97 finish and would have done better if it hadn't broken.   Not mad though, this is just an opportunity to make it faster.   Lightweight flywheel and "stage 2" clutch are already ordered.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
3/21/22 3:16 p.m.

I'm learning more and more about this thing.  Like, to replace the clutch, the first step is to remove the engine entirely.   Wish I'd known that when I started.

johndej
johndej Dork
3/27/22 10:23 p.m.

Not fight, just compete, regardless of the competition...

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/28/22 6:26 a.m.

TIL that Russia didn't have an aircraft carrier until 1967, and even then it wasn't a true aircraft carrier. The front half was a guided missile cruiser, while the rear was a carrier deck for helicopters to conduct antisubmarine efforts. It wasn't until 1990 that they built a true aircraft carrier.

wae
wae PowerDork
3/28/22 5:28 p.m.

TIL how to weave chain link fence sections together.  Not that it's difficult or anything, I just never did anything with chain link before and never really thought about it. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/29/22 8:07 a.m.

In reply to wae :

TIL that prisoners will unbend that little bent wire at the top of a hurricane fence, go to the bottom of said fence and pull that wire right out the bottom,  The fence "unzips" and you have a big hole!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/22 7:15 p.m.

There are 4 cylinder cars racing on the dirt at Bristol and I think I want to build one for next year. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/31/22 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

That sounds like an excellent idea to me

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/5/22 2:05 p.m.

TIL that there were only ever 7 Martin Mars flying boats ever built:

Mars History | glennmartinmuseum

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/22 10:13 p.m.

TIL about Beth Hart.  Why have you guys kept me from this?

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/6/22 10:27 a.m.
NickD said:

TIL that Russia didn't have an aircraft carrier until 1967, and even then it wasn't a true aircraft carrier. The front half was a guided missile cruiser, while the rear was a carrier deck for helicopters to conduct antisubmarine efforts. It wasn't until 1990 that they built a true aircraft carrier.

They still only have one, and it spends more time in the shop than it does at sea...

Linky

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/6/22 11:01 a.m.

Watermelon, pumpkin, and cucumbers are berries.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/6/22 6:36 p.m.
Recon1342 said:
NickD said:

They still only have one, and it spends more time in the shop than it does at sea...

Linky

They had one that was so bad they gave it to China.  It hasn't gotten any better since they acquired it.  

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
4/6/22 8:04 p.m.
Recon1342 said:
NickD said:

Linky

This, boiler problems so bad that on the rare times it goes to sea it’s accompanied by ocean going tugs so when it fails they’re nearby.   I’m sure that’s handy during flight ops when the goal is to put as much wind speed over the flight deck as possible.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/6/22 8:14 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Nah, front wind speed is a wash with that giant ski jump blocking all the wind...

Also, the US Navy's Flagship carrier, USS Nimitz (CVN-68) recently completed an 11 month cruise, traveling over 99,000 miles, and spending more time at sea than any carrier since Vietnam. She's powered by nuclear reactors, and her service range is measured in decades instead of miles... and she was commissioned in '75.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/6/22 10:03 p.m.
Stampie said:

TIL about Beth Hart.  Why have you guys kept me from this?

War In My Mind is a great song IMO

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/7/22 9:43 a.m.

Today I learned ATL airport has upped their transportation game. I think this is cooler than the "normal" golf carts. I call it the "Magic Carpet Pro". I need one. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/7/22 9:56 a.m.
11GTCS said:
Recon1342 said:
NickD said:

Linky

This, boiler problems so bad that on the rare times it goes to sea it’s accompanied by ocean going tugs so when it fails they’re nearby.   I’m sure that’s handy during flight ops when the goal is to put as much wind speed over the flight deck as possible.

From what I've read, most of the crew doesn't even know how to conduct flight ops, because it spends so much time broken, they never really get any practice. Being assigned to the Kuznetsov is viewed as something of a punishment.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/22 3:34 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

Also, the US Navy's Flagship carrier, USS Nimitz (CVN-68) recently completed an 11 month cruise, traveling over 99,000 miles, and spending more time at sea than any carrier since Vietnam. 

My brother was stationed on the USS George HW Bush, a Nimitz class carrier.  I *think* he's a plank holder. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/12/22 12:18 a.m.

Today i learned Steve O is old enough to be hawking boner pills on his podcast. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/13/22 4:56 p.m.

TIL that Hot Wheels released a monster truck version of the DeLorean Time Machine...

Interestingly, somebody actually did make a monster truck DeLorean, but (at least when I saw it a decade ago) it wasn't a BTTF conversion...

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/22 5:21 a.m.

TIL that Marty Feldman's mother was from Kyiv. 

1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uBi2Bx74WEAhyWfnYPZRWZ1iTGhSNTwoK8ZW4BAClQx700NMWuKj25bix9Td1CJi