1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 ... 213
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/9/22 3:36 p.m.
Appleseed said:

TIL Roger Mosley was a licensed helicopter pilot.

Today I learned Roger Mosley died at 83 from car crash injuries.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/9/22 4:08 p.m.
dculberson said:
VolvoHeretic said:

TIL that if you extend the cinching lever to the 180 degree position of a ratchet strap, it releases the strap. All of these years and I never knew.blush

Hmm, which makes me wonder: how were you releasing them before?

I, with great difficulty, used both hands and fingers to pull back the two release levers at once and pulled up releasing enough slack to undo the hooks. I thought that that was the dumbest design ever. The straps never have instructions on them or I never bothered to read them. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/22 5:27 p.m.
EvanB said:

TIL that there are Audi A3 wheels in Europe that are 15" and look like this. Now I want to find a set for my Subaru. 

Two sets.  Those would be awesome on the Mini.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/22 5:45 p.m.

TIL what Ospreys sound like at full tilt flying at or less than 1000 feet over my head. Scared the crap out of me. They came in from behind me as I was sitting on my porch looking at the lake. Got to watch them duck down low to the lake and then pull up over the tree line on the other side and head off into the distance.   They sound like no other aircraft I have ever been around and the compression pulses coming off the rotors you feel in you and it makes everything around you shake.   I have been around many military aircraft working with my dad and this was like nothing I have ever experienced.  

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/22 5:47 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

There are plenty of sets listed in Germany for 70-100 euros, no idea what it would cost to ship or if any of the sellers would be willing to.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/9/22 5:48 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Not sure about the costs, but I've heard about companies that will buy on eBay in one country for you and handle getting things shipped to you.  Probably not cheap.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/9/22 5:53 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I know that eBay here has a 'relay' service where if the seller checks that they're willing to ship internationally using it the buyer pays whatever the shipping is and then the seller just has to send it to a domestic address and then eBay re-labels it for international shipping. I usually check the box and on a few occasions have had international buyers buy stuff and I'd get a label to send it up to northern KY to bounce to international. I wouldn't be surprised if they had it in larger markets overseas as well.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/22 9:50 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Back when I owned a Montesa trials bike, I had to buy NLA parts off of eBay Spain. I don't recall having to jump through any special hoops but, man, did some of that stuff take a long time to find it's way to my house. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/10/22 12:10 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I live very close to a small airport that does the occasional military training or show. A squad of ospreys flew past on their way to landing and it was astonishing. Loud does not even begin to describe it. Plus they looked amazing with their rotors tilted and flying in one after the other. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
8/10/22 1:05 a.m.

TIL what an osprey is.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/10/22 2:15 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

TIL what an osprey is.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/10/22 8:55 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

The place that The Dancer and I have stayed at the last few years on Topsail Island is relatively close to a Marine base that flies pretty much every aircraft in their inventory, including Ospreys. I've loved going there as much for getting to see both helos I've worked on and the Ospreys as for relaxing on the beach.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/10/22 9:40 a.m.

The V-22 is a really cool aircraft. When I was a college student I worked for the company that did the interconnect drive system that links the 2 rotors. It was a pretty ground breaking system (the first use of a new, more flexible, disk coupling). I did FEA work for the guy that came up with it, mostly a button pusher for him. Then a couple decades later I went back to that company and it was interesting to see the full system in regular production. Here is a picture from the internet I found that shows the system.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
8/13/22 12:11 a.m.

TIL.  That when you order two items on Ebay from the same seller and there is a problem during shipping. You can end up with three items instead of just two. Now one is being sent back.

wae
wae PowerDork
8/13/22 9:09 a.m.

TIL that you can substitute applesauce when making pancakes if you're out of eggs.

TIalsoL I will never make pancakes with egg ever again. 

My daughter made me pancakes for my birthday this morning and discovered we were out of eggs.  She read on the internet that you can substitute 1/4c of applesauce for each egg.  Since we're not psychopaths all we have is cinnamon applesauce, of course, and these were absolutely the best pancakes I've ever eaten.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
8/16/22 5:32 p.m.

TIL:

There are both chewy and crunchy chip ahoy cookies. I mean, I knew that but I had always just assumed it was luck of the draw and some were stale and crunchy and if you got lucky they would be nice and chewy. Well, apparently they are labeled, and if you read you get to choose. Life changing. 

wae
wae PowerDork
8/18/22 7:09 a.m.

TIL: There's a CVE out there detailing a denial-of-service attack on older laptops when Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation music video is played nearby.  Apparently it contains a resonant frequency that disrupts 5.4k spindles.  I had to verify that I didn't wake up on April 1st... 

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2022-38392

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/18/22 8:30 a.m.
NY Nick said:

The V-22 is a really cool aircraft. When I was a college student I worked for the company that did the interconnect drive system that links the 2 rotors. It was a pretty ground breaking system (the first use of a new, more flexible, disk coupling). I did FEA work for the guy that came up with it, mostly a button pusher for him. Then a couple decades later I went back to that company and it was interesting to see the full system in regular production. Here is a picture from the internet I found that shows the system.

Today I learned that the Osprey is a death trap.   

https://rense.com/general11/osp.htm

The aircraft was developed by Bell Helicopter and Boeing Helicopters; the companies partner in its manufacture and support. The V-22 Osprey has had 13 hull loss accidents that have resulted in a total of 51 fatalities. During testing from 1991 to 2006, there were four crashes resulting in 30 fatalities.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/18/22 9:03 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

Yes, they're incredibly complicated and their operational profile is pretty demanding.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/18/22 9:26 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

While the Osprey did have a lot of troubles in development and initial operation, I would not read anything on Rense.com and think I'm learning. You're talking about a web site that has "articles" on chemtrails and alien and ghost encounters. It's like the National Inquirer, but even worse.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/18/22 9:34 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

They're kind of a case of, they're a lot of trouble, but they do things that nothing else in the inventory really can, so you put up with them. They have gotten much better over the years though.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/18/22 9:44 a.m.

TIL that there are eSports for Microsoft Excel.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/18/22 10:06 a.m.
NickD said:

In reply to jharry3 :

They're kind of a case of, they're a lot of trouble, but they do things that nothing else in the inventory really can, so you put up with them. They have gotten much better over the years though.

This recent crash is what prompted my research on the Osprey.    

https://mol.im/a/11116723

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/22 8:27 p.m.

TIL that the guy who played Ken Miles in Ford vs. Ferrari was also in movies about Batman. 

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/23/22 8:53 a.m.

TIL not to step in hornets nest, and make sure theyre all off of you before going inside. its not fun

1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GxDmPXcJwepB3Y6MvPQXCFz2K610RUmUyL7wgAWBU9NaHxXiS7dWpyva0Bd3fqfu