1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 ... 213
j_tso
j_tso Dork
1/1/23 2:13 p.m.

Toyota Crown was offered in pickup form.

No, I don't want one. Maybe.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/1/23 2:32 p.m.

To lube your garage door.  Mine was failing to close.  Assuming something was broken I started to look at it.  I couldn't find anything rubbing or otherwise broke so I decided to just lube all the wheels and the shaft for the springs.   It works perfectly now.  Seriously went from strenuous to open/close to super easy.   

So once again application of Lube is good.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/3/23 1:51 p.m.

Well, TIL Kohl's accepts Amazon returns.  Then they give you a $10 gift card to shop at Kohls.  After I spent $85 to send tires back.

=~ (

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
1/3/23 6:20 p.m.
nocones said:

To lube your garage door.  Mine was failing to close.  Assuming something was broken I started to look at it.  I couldn't find anything rubbing or otherwise broke so I decided to just lube all the wheels and the shaft for the springs.   It works perfectly now.  Seriously went from strenuous to open/close to super easy.   

So once again application of Lube is good.  

Always best on the back door.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/4/23 8:39 a.m.

TIL that up votes can be disabled for individuals or individual posts.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/4/23 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Actually, I used to think that was true, but I no longer do.

What probably happened is that the post had been downvoted enough times to be negative, but not yet hard enough to be hidden.  Negative-vote posts are not displayed like upvotes are; they just show zero until it's bad enough that the post gets hidden.

So your upvote improved the post status, but not enough to put it above zero yet.  The count only shows net positive votes.  If more people upvote it enough times, it will start to show positive.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/4/23 9:39 a.m.

OK,  that's a far more plausible explanation

BenB
BenB HalfDork
1/4/23 9:43 a.m.
914Driver said:

Well, TIL Kohl's accepts Amazon returns.  Then they give you a $10 gift card to shop at Kohls.  After I spent $85 to send tires back.

=~ (

TIL you can buy tires from Amazon. I'd love to see the looks you'd get hauling them to the Kohl's Amazon return desk.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/4/23 9:50 a.m.
Peabody said:

But not nearly as satisfying.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/4/23 11:38 a.m.

TIL (or rather, over the weekend) that I'm apparently a rather unobservant person- I had never really looked and noticed that one of my ears (the right one) is like an inch or more lower than the other. You'd think after wearing glasses for nigh on 40 years that I'd have worked this out, but nope. Was at our cabin- which has tongue-and-groove paneling all along the interior- and brushing my teeth looking in the mirror and idly looking at the lines of the paneling behind me and was like... "Huh...." and took a closer look and realized that I couldn't line up both eyes and both ears on one plane.

At least though I can say I'm not the only unobservant one... I finished in the bathroom and went in to get into bed and told this to The Dancer, who looked and said, "OMG you're right!!!" 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/4/23 2:29 p.m.
Duke said:
Peabody said:

But not nearly as satisfying.

The morning after drinking 25% more beer and 50% more shots than I should have, I was in a thoroughly nasty mood and plenty satisfied with my initial explanation.

wae
wae PowerDork
1/4/23 2:30 p.m.

TIL that a 454 holds an amazing amount of coolant.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
1/4/23 8:06 p.m.

TIL that Jack-in-the-Box sells a second type of taco. We sent a fellow out for the usual 2/$1 "white trash tacos" and there was a bit of a misunderstanding. What we got initially looked very confusing. Little boxes that would usually be found containing Chinese takeout, but with Jacks logo on them. Inside each was about ten little tacos. 

so that's a new one for me. Try them. It's not gourmet, but it's there. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/4/23 10:13 p.m.

TIL I have always put more milk in my cereal so that at the end of the bowl I had a nice treat of the sweetened milk. So, I started just making a glass of milk and putting a tablespoon of sugar in it and after telling my family that I was going to start a line of milk called Sugar Milk, similar to sugar water from Men in Black, my daughter in law said that they already have it. 

Cereal Milk:

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
1/4/23 10:38 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Reconwife  loves the mini tacos. They're not terrible. Decent with guacamole. 

TIL that teaching began at Oxford university as early as 1096. The Aztec empire was established nearly 300 years later in 1325. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/5/23 9:16 p.m.

TIL that SnapCrap is an app for reporting human waste deposits in public in San Francisco. 

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SnapCrap-app-San-Francisco-poop-feces-dirty-street-13281837.php

It's a real thing. indecision

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
1/5/23 9:30 p.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

Is that one o' them "modern solutions" I keep hearin' about?

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/6/23 3:02 p.m.

TIL Elon Musk has Canadian citizenship through his mother and I learned that following rabbit holes related to How much rust is too much?

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/7/23 12:08 p.m.
Rons said:

TIL Elon Musk has Canadian citizenship through his mother and I learned that following rabbit holes related to How much rust is too much?

He did his  undergrad at the same university and at the same time I did.  I don't think I ever ran across him, but I generally wasn't part of the "silver spoon" crowd that was pretty endemic at the school.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/7/23 5:14 p.m.
fasted58 said:

TIL that SnapCrap is an app for reporting human waste deposits in public in San Francisco. 

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SnapCrap-app-San-Francisco-poop-feces-dirty-street-13281837.php

It's a real thing. indecision

Interesting that the Jack-in-the-box white trash Taco info is so close to this post.  Is this one of those subliminal messages from the back of your mind?

Zingah
Zingah New Reader
1/8/23 10:59 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

What??? That's news to me. And very helpful. Thanks.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/11/23 10:13 a.m.

TIl that Carroll Shelby was married 7 times. I'm not really shocked at learning this.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/11/23 10:52 a.m.
NickD said:

TIl that Carroll Shelby was married 7 times. I'm not really shocked at learning this.

Yeah.

You'd figure after maybe 2 or 3 you'd just say "Look, honey, I'm happy to shack up, but can we not get a marriage license involved?"

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/11/23 1:30 p.m.

TIL how to off-street park in NYC for a week and only spend $15.41.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/23 6:34 p.m.
1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h6KHT4AmxQh6n0V5nzT4SeFYt3XA0AiZQnZb4NX35Q581bj5vhD59Jy8GHUfYKhI