1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 ... 213
Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/2/23 9:27 a.m.

TIL that Herbie Hancock bought a small block Cobra new in 1963, and now has the longest continuous ownership of any Cobra ever made.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
6/2/23 10:05 a.m.

Yep, and thus all those "you might be cool  but..." memes have shrunk to meaninglessness. 

wae
wae PowerDork
6/3/23 9:23 a.m.

TIL that I can keep my homemade guacamole in the fridge for 3 days without it turning brown by smoothing it out in its dish, covering it in about a centimeter layer of water, and wrapping the top in plastic wrap.  And it tastes better than it did the first day!

Which is good, because I'm going to need to make about 30 pounds of guac for the graduation party next week!

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/3/23 3:26 p.m.

TIL that there's no shifter bushing in my Miata's 6-speed. Completely gone. I could swear I put a 5XRacing bronze one in, but maybe that was in the 5-speed.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/23 1:08 p.m.

TIL that the Polish Mountain hill climb takes place something like 30-45 minutes from where I live. I should probably check it out although I don't have the right car is license for it. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/4/23 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

He was on Leno with it.  First big gig, had some money and just looked at a Cobra.  Salesman was so condescending that Herbie came back the next day and paid cash!

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/5/23 4:51 p.m.

TIL that PW has never seen or even heard of The log driver's waltz.

How's that even possible?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/5/23 5:18 p.m.

Til just how much crappy and sugary foods actually affect me

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/5/23 6:24 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Well, it seems obvious that she is a deep cover Russian spy.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/5/23 7:39 p.m.

TIL why giraffes have antennae.

When born, Mom's exit is 9ft up, fibrous antennae protect baby's skull.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/23 2:26 p.m.

TIL that you can ask an AI to generate pictures to make coloring book sheets for kids.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/23 6:42 a.m.

It seemed like my father had a Leatherman tool on his belt for as long as I knew him, but TIL that the first Leatherman was sold in 1983, which seems surprisingly recent.

TI(also)L that the guy who created the tool is named Tim Leatherman.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/16/23 11:48 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

It seemed like my father had a Leatherman tool on his belt for as long as I knew him, but TIL that the first Leatherman was sold in 1983, which seems surprisingly recent.

TI(also)L that the guy who created the tool is named Tim Leatherman.

So, since I carry a Gerber was t found by Tim Gerber?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/16/23 12:17 p.m.

TIL that the life expectancy of Volvo rear brakes is a paltry 30,000 miles.

For back brakes.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/16/23 12:34 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I was annoyed that I had to do back brakes on my last two higher mileage GM's. Both were at about 200k

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
6/16/23 12:47 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

TIL Woody thinks 40 years ago is "surprisingly recent". 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/23 12:49 p.m.
Duke said:

For back brakes.

I bought my S60R at 185k.  Rear pads had about 5mm left.

At 309k, I replaced the rear pads, not because they were grinding, but because I got tired of waiting for them to wear out.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/16/23 12:53 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Duke said:

For back brakes.

At 309k, I replaced the rear pads, not because they were grinding, but because I got tired of waiting for them to wear out.

50,000km rear brakes is a Volvo I'm not familiar with, unless it's a 2000-04 S/V40 we are talking about.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/23 1:00 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Duke said:

For back brakes.

50,000km rear brakes is a Volvo I'm not familiar with, unless it's a 2000-04 S/V40 we are talking about.

I only replaced the rear pads on mine ('02 S40) because the calipers had seized.

I use the same rotors and pads on my '84 RX-7, with VW calipers because they are lighter and the handbrake mechanism is more suited to Mazda cables.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/16/23 1:51 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Duke said:

For back brakes.

My 2019 V60.  31,000 miles.  Right rear brake is the backing plate grinding on the rotor.

I took it into the dealer expecting them to say the caliper was sticking and rear pads and rotors would be replaced under warranty.

Instead they said the left rear is hours away from making the same noise with 0mm of pad left, and that it would cost $700 to replace them.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/16/23 2:46 p.m.

Something wrong with the ABS pump? Has your mileage been E36 M3ty?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/16/23 3:02 p.m.
iansane said:

Something wrong with the ABS pump? Has your mileage been E36 M3ty?

Nope, mileage has been fine, or maybe a little better than normal.  No weird pedal feel or even noise until the pad disappeared.  No pull or other driving feel evidence that a pad was dragging.  No extra-dirty wheel.

It has the electric parking brake, but I park on enough of a slope that it automatically applies and releases itself several times every day.

On a related note, my go-to pad is the Akebono Euro ceramic.  They make fronts for this car, but not rears.  Do we have a favorite ceramic pad in a similar midline range?

[edit]  Rock Auto has these:

Power Stop - $184 for pads / rotors

Dynamic Friction - $124 for pads / rotors

No need to spend more than necessary, but $60 one way or the other is not a deal breaker.

[edit edit]  Went ahead and ordered the Power Stops.  I've used their OE replacement stuff before.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/24/23 11:48 p.m.

That using a peat moss spreader on my lawn is one of, if not the dirtiest jobs EVER! Anyone ever try one of these? 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
6/25/23 9:58 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Very surprised by that. I just checked the rears on my '17 V60. At 136k they had more than half the pad material left, though I replaced the rotors due to slight warpage.

If you're really going through pads that quickly, buying from FCP Euro might be a wise investment. The catch on their "free lifetime replacement" is that you have to ship the old parts back to them. It's cost prohibitive on things like rotors, but might be worthwhile on rear pads.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/25/23 1:59 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

Just got finished replacing them. OE Volvo rear pads completely done for in 31,000 miles. Both sides, so it wasn't a dragging issue in a stuck caliper. I did the rotors too because my first warning there was anything going on was the sound of the backing plates dragging on the rotors.

TIL that my V60 has a fiberglass transverse leaf spring rear suspension.

And TIL that Volvo uses red locktite on their caliper brackets. Bastards.

[edit]  Just looked at the paperwork from the dealer trip. They say front pads are at 6/32.

That's about what I would expect for the fronts in 30,000 miles... except they already did front pads and rotors under warranty for a pedal pulsing issue. So those really only have 15-20,000 on them.

1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lm2SxXawfb8cTiAfrY8GjwbQ03d5ORepm5cjCJNjZ9X0xN8QsQnenVfSaQLLCpvQ