1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 213
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/5/17 12:15 a.m.
T.J. wrote: Thanks all for the thoughts, prayers and well wishes. We are back home. Surgery went fine. Now to keep him from pulling off the dressing and/or the staples in his scalp. I both live and despise neurosugeons. I love that they exist but despise the fact that we meed them.

Was thinking about you guys earlier. Glad things are turning for the better. Can't imagine how difficult it would be to deal with it happening to my own.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
7/5/17 12:33 a.m.

TIL someone made a Cleveland V8-based V12 in their garage. It makes 697 naturally aspirated horsepower on 91 octane pump gas.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/5/17 7:23 a.m.
RevRico wrote: TIL DON'T touch the spool when you're trying to feed it into the liner and pull the trigger. Something transmits electricity through the welding wire and it doesn't feel good.

I will share this with my welding students, thanks for doing the research

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
7/7/17 4:31 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote:
RevRico wrote: TIL DON'T touch the spool when you're trying to feed it into the liner and pull the trigger. Something transmits electricity through the welding wire and it doesn't feel good.
I will share this with my welding students, thanks for doing the research

In our high school machine shop I touched the spot welder and had my hand on some HVAC metal angle iron frame hanging from the ceiling and got a jolt.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/7/17 5:50 p.m.

Today i learned that Facebook marketplace is significantly worse than craigslist.

I also learned that im the guy that will set E36 M3 on fire in his own driveway to prove a point to a mouthbreathing inbred moron about demanding that i take 1/5 of my asking price because "that's all its worth, bro!"

I feel justified.

I also learned that in this town intentionally setting a riding mower on fire in your driveway constitutes violation of burning laws, and they fine you without the correct permit.

I was unable to learn what permit i need to have to do these kinds of things.

In addition, i learned that i need more zen and peace of mind.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/7/17 6:08 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

That sounds like a fun afternoon. I bet they dinged you for the "uncontrolled burn". If you place the lawnmower in a bigass burn barrel next time you should be ok. Also, telling people "no" can be very satisfying, although truth be told setting E36 M3 on fire is more satisfying.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/17 6:18 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Start by having some hotdogs nearby. Refer to it as a Cooking Fire.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
7/7/17 6:20 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

That is berkeleying awesome man!! I had a good laugh and shared your tale with the family.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/7/17 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I think you're my new hero. I've threatened setting my mower on fire probably several dozen times so far this year, never had the balls to actually do it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/7/17 6:56 p.m.
Furious_E wrote: In reply to Dusterbd13: I think you're my new hero. I've threatened setting my mower on fire probably several dozen times so far this year, never had the balls to actually do it.

Its very liberating.

Clean up is a bitch though.

Id also reccomend waiting until the replacement is bought and paid for.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
7/7/17 7:48 p.m.
Woody wrote: In reply to Dusterbd13: Start by having some hotdogs nearby. Refer to it as a Cooking Fire.

My neighbor keeps a few rocks wrapped in aluminum foil just for times like this. If anybody says he's having an illegal fire, he just says he's cooking, see that there's the potatoes.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
7/7/17 8:11 p.m.

Today I learned, nobody can beat a dead horse like my parents. Correction multiple dead horses.

First was the window tint situation on the car they sold me a couple years ago. New Hampshire has crappy window tint laws. Absolutely no tint forward of the driver this includes the driver and passenger side windows. No more than 35% tint on any of the other windows. The car has passed inspection the past two years no mention of the tint. This year on the first trip they told me I had to get rid of the tint on the driver's and passenger's window's. Done. On the return trip they measure the tint on the other windows. Now that had to come off. Tonight my parents called and asked me how the sticker acquisition went. Me not being so bright told them the deal. 30 minutes of going on about the window tint. Take it somewhere else, people can see what you have in the car get new tint put on,.... it's my Appliance vehicle I don't give a crap about the 10th I just don't want to have to make multiple trips back and forth for inspection stickers because some inspection guy has a hair across his.....

Next was my return to work. I had clavicle surgery two weeks ago. I've driven to get my car inspection. But I had to get a lecture about how I cannot drive to work I need to work from home for another week because I broke my clavicle and had surgery two weeks ago. I explained I've already driven twice once to get my sticker and the other time when I get out of the house and my girlfriend who was driving decided to have a margarita on an empty stomach. Not a big deal. But according to them I'm still not capable of driving to work.

I know they love me but they need to learn to let some things go especially the tint situation. I'm sure they're going to bring it back up again the next time I talk to them.

And then there's the lawn mowing situation, it was going to send me to take action like Dusterbd13. My 73 year old father wanted to mow the hill with the riding mower. I didn't want to see the thing roll over on him. I don't do the hill with the riding mower . It took 20 minutes for me to get him to agree not to mow the hill with the riding mower.

Okay, This response should have been split between today I learned, and minor rants, but it all ended up here.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/7/17 8:40 p.m.

In reply to lrrs: Yay and we thank you profusely.....made me laugh

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/7/17 8:47 p.m.

In reply to lrrs:

Sounds like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/7/17 8:47 p.m.

So dusterbd13 do I get this straight? the shiny happy person provoked you to the point on the lawn mower price that you decided to show em what you really thought of their asshatery........burn the berker to da ground!!! that musta felt good for all of say .....E36M3, now what do I do!?!?!???? BWaHahahahaa!!! yu rock bro......

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/17 9:03 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Today i learned that Facebook marketplace is significantly worse than craigslist. I also learned that im the guy that will set E36 M3 on fire in his own driveway to prove a point to a mouthbreathing inbred moron about demanding that i take 1/5 of my asking price because "that's all its worth, bro!" I feel justified. I also learned that in this town intentionally setting a riding mower on fire in your driveway constitutes violation of burning laws, and they fine you without the correct permit. I was unable to learn what permit i need to have to do these kinds of things. In addition, i learned that i need more zen and peace of mind.

I call "worth it".

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/7/17 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

So how much are you asking for the burned up lawn mower?

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/7/17 10:30 p.m.
Stampie wrote: In reply to Dusterbd13: So how much are you asking for the burned up lawn mower?

Tree fiddy...

lrrs
lrrs Reader
7/8/17 5:40 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

Yep you're right about that. Unfortunately I have no kids to pass it on to.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
7/8/17 3:05 p.m.

It took me way too long and I had to disassemble way too much of my cub cadet mower to replace the starter solenoid so I could cut my grass.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/17 4:26 p.m.

Double check other people's wiring.

Don't assume the new three way switch you get is good.

When they say you have to lift the bed to replace the evap canister vent valve solenoid don't spend an hour trying to do it with out lifting the bed. (Bed takes ten minutes to lift).

Metal replacement hose ends are much better than the cheep plastic ones.

Lighting a BBQ with gasoline is fun.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/17 5:22 p.m.

While it's fairly easy to mount modern wheels on to an old car with the right spacers, it's pretty damn hard to mount old wheels onto an new car without adding flares, and that's just not gonna happen.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/9/17 7:13 p.m.

Yesterday I watched a 14 year old who was starting on the pole of his second super late model race (!) learn that you should be sure to pee before you are sent to the front straight for introduction. He hopped the wall, ran like a madman to the can, then zoomed back to strap into the car. We gave him a standing ovation. His crew chief was laughing pretty hard.

WilD
WilD Dork
7/10/17 7:39 a.m.

Today I learned that your hair will continue to reek of gasoline if you thoroughly soak it the day before, no matter how many times you wash it.

Yesterday I learned that attempting to swap out the fuel filter quickly on a '92 Camaro with a full tank of gas is a really, really, REALLY bad idea. Seriously, EPIC FAIL. I need to stop trying to do my own auto maintenance.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/17 7:07 p.m.

TIL that 8th-generation Accords are not fun to do timing chains in.

With this chain job, I will have done more timing chains in one month (two of them K24s, interestingly, and this one only has a hair over 60k) than I have done timing belts all year.

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y2tQ82fslkalNmE5sst7wD12wjZBbIl42yzks0HtevBmZ6L9JayjuKYwZimDQ7TP