1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 116
dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/20/19 9:17 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I’ve bought mufflers from jegs for less. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/20/19 9:25 p.m.
Knurled. said:

TIL that UPS wants $78 to ship a muffler from Signal Hill, CA to 44133.

Ouch.

It will be well spent.  My ears are still ringing from the hour-ish drive with no muffler, and I was wearing muffs.

A vendor sent me the wrong exhaust system for one of my Subarus. I returned it via USPS for $24. It was seven feet long.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/20/19 9:41 p.m.

Once my parents had a construction project being done at their house so I mailed them a 18” long piece of a 2x4 with an encouraging note written on it.   Sort of like a post card.  

I like the USPS. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/20/19 9:48 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

I think I paid twice that to return a helmet through UPS. I see I've been doing it wrong. New Years Game is the only experience I have shipping anything via USPS.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/20/19 9:50 p.m.

TIL that if I climb this ladder to the roof there is only a small latch keeping it closed and not locks on it as I previously thought.  

TIL that since we have many guys cutting hoses all day for the past 20 years that the rungs are really dirty and dress pants and dress shoes might be a bad idea.

TIL that at almost 57 years old I still enjoy exploring things similar to crap I would’ve done in high school.   

Mike
Mike SuperDork
5/21/19 9:27 p.m.

A pony is not a young horse. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/23/19 8:07 a.m.

That if you leave a mostly empty 5 gallon jug of laquer thinner in the corner long enough, the can rusts enough internally to create pinholes and fume up the house.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
5/23/19 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

when we bought our house, the basement had 4 if  I recall correctly cans of mostly empty laquer thinner and when you picked them up the handles pulled out. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/23/19 12:31 p.m.

Just tried seeing if I fit in the mustang with my helmet on and the top up for the first time.  Barely brush the headliner and hit the side rail if I move my head over to the left much. Not sure I like it but I don't know what I can do about it until I change the seat. Which needs to happen anyway because the driver seat is trashed.

Have plenty of head room in the SL1 though. Imagine that.

EDIT: and my head is hard against the roof in the GTA with the helmet. Nice.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
5/24/19 12:15 p.m.
Woody said:
Knurled. said:

TIL that UPS wants $78 to ship a muffler from Signal Hill, CA to 44133.

Ouch.

It will be well spent.  My ears are still ringing from the hour-ish drive with no muffler, and I was wearing muffs.

A vendor sent me the wrong exhaust system for one of my Subarus. I returned it via USPS for $24. It was seven feet long.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
5/24/19 2:32 p.m.

TIL that a Racing Beat box is exactly the interior width of the back seat of an S60R.  No play and no crush.

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
5/24/19 4:46 p.m.

TIL it's really hard to scratch your balls in a 6 point harness.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/24/19 6:51 p.m.

TIL some species of wild lizards around Kentucky might be poisonous. Good thing we learned this before we finished cleaning and cooking the one my buddy shot with a bb gun.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
5/24/19 7:07 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

How do you think people in kentucky figured out which were poisonous?

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/24/19 7:10 p.m.

In reply to Grizz :

Well we Googled. Since we Kentuckians have developed as a species.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/24/19 8:55 p.m.

The crudely hacked out part of the E30 valance I removed in the challenge hotel parking lot to fit the intercooler is still sharp 6 months later. At least I can have two scars on my face from the same part of the same car 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/25/19 2:43 p.m.

TIL that I knew I had no artistic talent but I was convinced I can teach myself how to pinstripe.   

I can’t.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/26/19 9:00 p.m.

Til that there is a ball game played by Americans using a bouncy orange ball, but a Canadian owned team full of Americans are playing in the World Finals.

Huh.  Like hockey only backwards.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/26/19 9:15 p.m.

TIL that 20 minutes of the customer digging out the wheels of an RV is worth $100 off the tow bill. I made $300 an hour. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/28/19 2:59 p.m.

TIL that Germans have an entire genre of jokes dedicated to Opel Manta owners.

Examples:

A Manta driver goes to the garage: “Could you repair my horn?” “Your brakes aren’t working either,” notices the mechanic. “I know, that’s why I need to honk all the time.”

What is the shortest Manta joke ever? - Ein Manta steht vor der Uni (A Manta is parked in front of the university).

What does a Manta driver say after crashing into a tree? – Komisch—hab doch gehupt! (“Odd. I did honk!”)

How does a Manta owner take a family portrait? By driving his whole family at 200 kmh through photo-radar.

Why do Mantas have eight auxiliary headlights? So its driver can wear sunglasses at night.

A man comes to the Brain Transplant Clinic. The head doctor shows him some of the available merchandise:

Doc: ... and here we have the brain of a Physics Professor. It costs 1500 DM.

Man: And what is that one there?

Doc: That is something very special! It costs 8000 DM.

Man: What? Why is it so expensive then?

Doc: Well, that is the brain of a Manta Driver. Totally unused ...

Q: Why will mantas be built now that are 60mm higher off the ground?

A: So that they can be lowered even further...

An MD (Manta Driver) wants to sell his Manta and so puts an advert in the paper:

Opel Manta GTE 200,000 km DM 4500

One week later ... nothing happens.

Two weeks later ... still nothing.

In the third week a friend phones up and says, “Ey, are you daft? If you say the car has done 200,000 km nobody will be interested. Take a screwdriver and turn the mileometer back to 50,000 km, then try selling it again.”

One week later the advertisment is no longer in the paper. The friend rings up again and asks, “Hey, what’s up with your Manta?”

The MD replies, “Ey, man, do you think I’m going to sell a Manta that’s only done 50,000 km?”

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/31/19 8:54 a.m.

TIL the Mustang does infact have worse brake issues than I thought. Guess the Saturn gets moved back to daily driver duty until I go ahead and do the brake upgrades I was planning on doing.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/31/19 2:24 p.m.

Til Memphis, Indiana exists...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/31/19 2:25 p.m.
Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/31/19 2:34 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

That's pretty close to where I'm headed but I'll visit another time. Probably not as interesting as real Nashville.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/31/19 2:39 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to mtn :

That's pretty close to where I'm headed but I'll visit another time. Probably not as interesting as real Nashville.

Lived for 2 years in Nashville, TN. I love that city and the surrounding areas.

1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 116
Our Preferred Partners
TGML79AKmlrQxdEazElPsPL672CXCg7aGiKlBhoQkrK9F1buOg5xj07mAzsrPyhV