1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 213
Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/19 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Could also be a tire shop error, someone pulled the wrong tires for mounting.  It shouldn't happen but it happens.

TIL that I can eat a 2lb burrito and still be hungry.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/17/19 12:13 p.m.

TIL the tapas bar near my work is gross enough we ran down the back alley before even touching the water.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/17/19 1:47 p.m.

TIL that Cincinatti has a subway system that was largely constructed (tunnels, stations, everything but tracks) before WWI and then never completed and never operated and even as recently as 2012 was considered structurally perfect. I want to go explore it now.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/19 8:24 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

If you see a good tailgate (gotta open it and look at the bottom near the hinges) and/or bumper, I’ll paypal you the $ plus a few additional $ finders fee.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
6/17/19 8:33 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I find anything.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
6/19/19 2:57 p.m.

TIL my new favorite OSHA reg:  29CFR1926.51(g):  

"No employee shall be allowed to consume food or beverages in a toilet room nor in any area exposed to a toxic material."

"Allowed" ?

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
6/19/19 3:34 p.m.

TIL I probably violated slantvaliant's favorite OSHA reg with the whole "any area exposed to toxic material" bit. 

Knurled.
6/19/19 5:19 p.m.

TIL that I violated OSHA regs that time I ran to the bathroom with half a burger in my mouth.

Sometimes nature calls and sometimes nature kicks the door down.

I've violated the "or beverages" part all the time.  I go nowhere without my coffee, even the reading room.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/19/19 8:45 p.m.

Knurled. said:

Individual filters on ITBs kill airflow.

Today I learned individual filters on ITBs kill airflow. This tickled something in my head from like 30 years ago when somebody who knew more than I did said that at car shows people remove the rest of the intake and put balls on ITBs to show them off but still want to keep crap out of them. 
So, I guess it took me 30 years for that lesson to really sink in?

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/19 7:19 p.m.

Today I learned that at least some t-shirts must be created by a script.

Well, first, I learned that Lotus made a one-off concept of a crossover called the Lotus APX. Looks like a mid-aughties Mazda from the front, and like a number ten envelope from the rear.

Then, I learned that Amazon actually sells a variety of shirts for Lotus APX owners.

I guess they took a phrase, and mail merged it with a dump of car names from Wikipedia, generated a product list, and threw the whole thing on Amazon.

slowbird
slowbird New Reader
6/21/19 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Mike :

I've seen those with people's names before (stuff like "My name is _____ and i only care about my wife, my dog, and beer" or something) but the car-themed ones are news to me.

The best news is, that means there's probably shirts for almost any car you could ever think of! I'm gonna go get a Wartburg shirt!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
6/22/19 8:13 p.m.

TIL that crows foot flare nut wrenches exist.  I also learned that if I’d had these before, probably every difficult brake line replacement I’ve ever done would have been a ton easier.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/23/19 3:32 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

That's what pliers are for!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
6/23/19 3:43 p.m.
NickD said:

TIL that Cincinatti has a subway system that was largely constructed (tunnels, stations, everything but tracks) before WWI and then never completed and never operated and even as recently as 2012 was considered structurally perfect. I want to go explore it now.

Well that’s close enough to be seriously tempting.  Time to discover some access points.

Knurled.
6/23/19 3:44 p.m.

Probably not.... they usually grab the nut harder than the extension.

Cut the line, hammer a socket over the nut, move on with life, IMO.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
6/23/19 5:40 p.m.

TIL Jay Leno has 160 of the same denim shirt. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/23/19 6:23 p.m.

In reply to slantvaliant :

I was at a plumbing wholesaler once and used the bathroom. I wondered if they had meetings in the bathroom.  Somebody join you in the bathroom at work?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
6/23/19 6:39 p.m.
Knurled. said:

Probably not.... they usually grab the nut harder than the extension.

Cut the line, hammer a socket over the nut, move on with life, IMO.

It’s more about access than anything else.  There are a ton of lines and other crap under the Beetle that made using a combo wrench or a regular flare nut wrench very difficult.  The crows foot let me access the fitting much more easily.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
6/23/19 6:40 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:
NickD said:

Well that’s close enough to be seriously tempting.  Time to discover some access points.

Here’s video from some urban explorers:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nY6A0_uxyvs

I suspect the entrance they used is secured a bit better now.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/19 9:59 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:
NickD said:

Here’s video from some urban explorers:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nY6A0_uxyvs

Someone probably runs a tour of it.  There are all sorts of urban explorer groups here that go into vacant buildings, train stations and such.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
6/23/19 10:08 p.m.

TODIL (the other day I learned) about Letterkenny. Have been laughing my ass off ever since. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/23/19 10:42 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon :

You've been tuggin' on yer nutsack too long.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/19 10:56 p.m.

berkeley you, Jonesy!

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/24/19 5:31 a.m.
Wally said:
eastsideTim said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:
NickD said:

Someone probably runs a tour of it.  There are all sorts of urban explorer groups here that go into vacant buildings, train stations and such.

They still run water mains and fiber optic cables through it. And as recently as 2012 there was talk of laying tracks and making it operational, as well as using it for film purposes, and using it as a bomb shelter through WWII and the Cold War. All of them have fallen through.

Looks like there are some openings that are pretty unsecured

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
6/25/19 10:30 a.m.

TIL my insurance has been cheaper than expected the past 3 months because apparently there was a miscommunication and the Mustang never actually got added to my policy. It was on my Mom's (where it was when my sister owned the car). Fixing this mistake just doubled  my insurance payment every month, roughly what I expected but still mildly annoying. 

1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qwnm20W9eUwqBooMfthujOPBeqifF5ALsjrCVRqoXALtI59Bu3g6R7pyig0iKvTQ