1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 ... 213
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/29/19 10:37 a.m.

Today i learned that i have way too much crap stored that i have no use for. 

Its just about time to purge. Hard 

wae
wae SuperDork
7/31/19 12:47 p.m.

TIL that Evercoat is freaking amazing and Bondo is just crap.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
7/31/19 1:48 p.m.
wae said:

TIL that in Spaceballs, when they're in the desert by the campfire, they're burning Her Royal Majesty's Matched Luggage.  32 years and I don't know how many times I've watched that movie and I just now noticed it.

Does this mean the new helmet is going to be the desert helmet?

wae
wae SuperDork
7/31/19 2:03 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
wae said:

TIL that in Spaceballs, when they're in the desert by the campfire, they're burning Her Royal Majesty's Matched Luggage.  32 years and I don't know how many times I've watched that movie and I just now noticed it.

Does this mean the new helmet is going to be the desert helmet?

No....  But once this one is complete, I could use it to pull a mold and make the Dark Pith Helmet! 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/31/19 4:37 p.m.

TIL that our Doosan Puma 2600 CNC lathe will immediately release clamping pressure on the chuck when it loses power. It doesn't care what RPM it's running at. Thankfully I learned this by asking why the window on the door was shattered. Looks like the glass did it's job and kept the part inside too. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/19 5:11 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

That sounds like a UPS and emergency relay trip is in order. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/31/19 5:38 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

We'll be lucky if they ever replace the busted window from this incident if I'm honest.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/19 7:20 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Oh ... yeah now I remember the situation. If some equipment comes up for sale cheap let me know. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/31/19 7:22 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Will do. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
8/2/19 10:20 a.m.

My son's SX4 has the highest roof of any vehicle I've ever sat in, including conversation vans.  (School busses excepted)

If I ever move to another country where it's customary to carry the day's provisions on your head, or start wearing hats like this guy , I'm taking that car. 

EDIT:  I should add: It also has a mileage calculator on the dash that gives (allegedly) live gas mileage.  If I had such a device on my own vehicle, I'd become that obsessive hypermiler that everyone hates.  5 minutes to accelerate to 60, drafting semi's at three feet distance, the whole shabang. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/19 7:47 p.m.

TIL that you really, really want to use the OEM spark plug tool to remove and replace spark plugs on an aircooled 911. The Snap On Spark Plug socket with the built in U-Joint is really nice, especially when you can't get it out of the hole again without undoing the freshly installed spark plug.

It also would be beneficial if I had a few more joints in my arm.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/19 7:57 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

I have owned (or even lived with) two cars with mileage calculators.  The one in the S40 was quite a bit off.  I think it ignored time spent at 0mph, such as you would find at stop signs and traffic lights.  It was accurate for all-highway drives (pull off road, add fuel, reset the economy average, taxied to highway and drove to next fuel stop, which was about 200mi away because the fuel tank was only slightly larger than a pregnant woman's bladder) but city driving gave it fits.

The one in the S60 is ruthlessly accurate.  If you did a pump stop to pump stop fill at the same pump, and multiplied the amount of fuel pumped by the fuel economy average (that of course you reset the last time you added fuel), it would be accurate to the trip odometer to the tenth of a mile.

Skillz, Volvo. Skillz.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/2/19 10:49 p.m.

TIL the complete parts list for the PCV system on a 4g63 includes a part number for a zip tie.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/3/19 6:02 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Today i learned that i have way too much crap stored that i have no use for. 

Its just about time to purge. Hard 

A few weeks ago we moved a steel 2-door storage cabinet (36"x18"x72") from the back porch to the garage. We actually had to move things in its way, both behind the cabinet and in front of it, in order to move it. In the middle of moving the cabinet, I said to my wife "I think we've reached peak crap!"

Last year my wife's new year resolution was to "De-E36 M3 the house!" She's done pretty good so far!

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/3/19 7:34 p.m.

Today I learned that there's an arcade game with an actual autocross mode. And it's actually pretty good.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/3/19 9:51 p.m.

You can have it on Game Boy as well.

Knurled.
8/3/19 9:56 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

But since there are no checkpoints on the autocross course, it's a guaranteed way for the game to end in 60 seconds.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/19 12:44 a.m.

Washing metal framed glasses in hot water makes the lenses fall out due to the differential in the coefficient of expansion of the lens and the metal frame. Warm or cool water and no problem.  

Oh and if your lens does fall out heat the frame in hot water and it goes back together much easier. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/4/19 8:32 a.m.

TIL not to buy an 80s GM car from the north again. I keep having to sweep under Humphrey because of chunks of rust falling out of the doors. In comparison my '89 C1500 has one tiny hole in the driver side rocker panel, and I haven't found any rust on my '87 Trans Am. 

Knurled.
8/4/19 8:35 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

The only 80s GM cars around here are from the south, and the people who own them spent way too much money for them to consider reselling.

The only people who drive old cars here are rich bastards who can afford to have pleasure cars like that.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/4/19 8:44 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Meanwhile most of my daily drivers have been around 20 years old or older.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/4/19 11:14 a.m.

I just learned this movie exists. Now you know too.

Knurled.
8/4/19 12:24 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Regional weirdness is weird.

It probably helps here that there is no property tax on cars... you pay sales tax to get the title, and it's $40-60 per year to register depending on what county you live in.  So, no $200-1000+ every year just because you have a new car.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/4/19 12:27 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Yeah they were going to charge me $266 in taxes on my '89 chevy truck if I didn't have the seller mark down a stupid low sale price. Friend of mine had a '10 Mustang passed down to him and has to pay $500ish every year to renew the registration.

I mentally blocked out what the clerk told the guy who was registering a Viper.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/5/19 9:43 p.m.

TIL trying to drive a car with manual steering and transmission with a wounded hand is actually mildly difficult.

1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BqjnodV7ixwp3SvCaJ3lDTuTqcvjg9yXPOAqyNoqxHALzwzjrLBugF1zuftynhid