1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 ... 213
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/16/19 9:12 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

My buddies GF now wife used to be like that. Now she just laughs when I drop inop vehicles in her parking spot when they aren't home. 

TIL I should have checked out the inop lawn mower I dropped in her spot last week a little better. My friend got it running with a fuse, tire, and battery charge. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/16/19 10:08 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

She was telling him about getting hit in the head with a basketball and I went for the obvious "well what'd you do that for?" She came back with "Well, ya know, Daylan. I usually don't go out of my way to get hit in the head but I was feeling froggy so I went up to this dude, handed him the ball and was like 'here, beam me with this real quick'"

Also she was smart enough to volunteer to drive separate in her car when my buddy decided that the still far from sorted turd gen Camaro that had been sitting for close to a month was what he needed to drive to a show he was playing. I think the battery died and he ran out of gas on that trip. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/19 5:50 p.m.

TIL if you let Lil Stampie choose dinner you might get something amazing like Frosty's and bacon. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/19/19 6:09 p.m.

TIL taking an English 101 college class at 23 feels weird when you look around and see a bunch of kids that graduated high school a couple months ago.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/20/19 8:00 a.m.

TIL you dont need to mention that a rear shackle has rusted clean through and the end of a leaf spring is pushing against the bottom of the bed when selling a 97 F250 Powerstroke for $5500. Nor tell anyone about the other side looking like its about to snap into two. 

When I mention the rust :

"The parts only cost $400 and it is still drivable. Just dont carry a load."

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/20/19 8:51 p.m.
Daylan C said:

TIL taking an English 101 college class at 23 feels weird when you look around and see a bunch of kids that graduated high school a couple months ago.

Hahaha, try it at 35.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/20/19 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

You got me there. I'm still pretty much the oldest one in the room that isn't on the payroll.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/19 4:48 p.m.

TIL Pomodoro only works when you can hear the ticking. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/21/19 9:14 p.m.

Pomodoros don't work unless they have sunlight, enough moisture and the right soil.

Ahem... TIL what the Pomodoro time management method is.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/19 9:20 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Pomodoros don't work unless they have sunlight, enough moisture and the right soil.

Ahem... TIL what the Pomodoro time management method is.

Yeah, been struggling with productivity lately. Pomodoro hasn't helped in the past. Today, I tried a new app that ticks the whole time, instead of just a digital timer and whatever instrumental hip-hop Spotify shuffles my way. Honestly, this could have been on the minor wins thread.

Result:

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
8/22/19 10:29 a.m.

Today (technically, yesterday and the evening prior) I learned how to replace a garbage disposal.  The original lasted ~6 years.  Last week the sink clogged up and I found coffee grinds and eggshells mashed up in the gooseneck.  SWMBO was annoyed because you "should" be able to put those kind of things down the disposal.  Note: We have a compost and those are the two things we are supposed to put in that compost bin.  Also woth noting that we have a sewer grinder pump that regularly gets things jammed in it (mostly baby wipes and feminine products).  I'm especially sensitive to putting things in the sink and/or toilet that may require me to go elbows deep in greywater.  

Fast-forward to this week, flip the switch and the motor makes noise but doesn't spin.   After an hour of cleaning it out trying to find what was jammed in it I took the whole thing out and found there was nothing stuck...it was just broken.  It also looks like the blades had worn back to the point they weren't very effective in grinding things down.  I assume the motor just seized.

Rant:  Why can I order a garbage disposal (online) with the cord already attached, but the only ones in-stock at Lowes & HD require you to install the cord yourself?  This is stupid.  I know it's simple...but the average joe shouldn't have to deal with wiring on an electric motor. I decided to buy a new cord instead of pulling the one off my old disposal mainly because I wanted the instructions and didn't want any uncertainty that I put it together correctly.  BTW: The instructions for the cord install were kind of awful.  "connect the smooth black wire to white wire in your pump.  "Connect the black wire with microscopic fine ridges that you can barely see/feel to the blue wire...WTF."

New motor wired, installed and reconnected in about an hour.  As much a SWMBO suggested calling a plumber, I know that would have taken +2 days and cost a few hundred bucks more than the $100 I spent on the new disposal and cord.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/23/19 1:44 p.m.

TIL that Ford Focust STs are dipping into the $10k range, if you are willing to chance it on one with 120-140k miles. I did not need to know this.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/23/19 2:01 p.m.

TIL that there are a lot of potential reasons a small lock Chevy will sound like a paint shaker full of bolts.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
8/23/19 2:57 p.m.
NickD said:

TIL that Ford Focust STs are dipping into the $10k range, if you are willing to chance it on one with 120-140k miles. I did not need to know this.

I was worried about buying a lightly used one...internets has lots of information on clutch and transmission failures/issues.  They don't have the reputation of being "overbuilt."  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/23/19 5:05 p.m.

TIL Edelbrock's supercharger kit for the FR-S  is $4-5,000, depending on whether or not you get their tune with it. It's is incredibly complete and adds 100hp. At the wheels. 

HNNNNNGH.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/23/19 5:05 p.m.

TIL Edelbrock's supercharger kit for the FR-S  is $4-5,000, depending on whether or not you get their tune with it. It's is incredibly complete and adds 100hp. At the wheels. 

HNNNNNGH.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/19 9:12 a.m.

TIL that I absolutely cannot fit into a Caldwell D13, no matter how much the guy drops his asking price. sad

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/24/19 10:56 a.m.

TIL Ohio's summer is nicer than Kentucky's summer at this moment.

Ohio DMV is just as annoying as a Kentucky clerk's office apparently though.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
8/24/19 11:19 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

Try a D13 with the original body, this one looks narrow.  Photo of original type below.

Woody
8/24/19 11:58 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I thought I might be too tall, but that was fine. I couldn’t get both shoulders in at the same time though. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
8/24/19 7:52 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

I know that car is not a D13 at all. body looks like McNamara from about 1969. I found some other photos of that car, mis-identified on barn finds in Mass. and I know it is not a D13. D13s have a horizontal shock in the rear, not a Z bar.

Woody
8/24/19 10:05 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Very interesting. I need to research this car further, which will still torture me because I still don’t fit in it. He said that the guy he bought it from said that it was a D13. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/25/19 1:51 p.m.

TIL that this project keeps putting out new material on Youtube. We own a book about NC accents (Talking Tarheel) written by some of those involved in this project.

If you've any interest in language, it's worth viewing their stuff.

The Language And Life Project at NC State

Woody
8/25/19 2:27 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Woody :

I know that car is not a D13 at all. body looks like McNamara from about 1969. I found some other photos of that car, mis-identified on barn finds in Mass. and I know it is not a D13. D13s have a horizontal shock in the rear, not a Z bar.

I think that you are correct about the mis-identified barn find in Mass. I am 90% sure that this is the same car (with the forward section of the roll bar removed), but I don't think it's a D13 or a McNamara.

Barn Finds FV

And this might be a different car from the same manufacturer:

Woody
8/25/19 2:31 p.m.

TIL that I am glad that I didn't fit in that car.^

1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0IUVaj797o10dAiXy6ajtJ0O86LhkM5szYZfOhLam8oLGUc7qez8aUomvao5lMCS