1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 213
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/19 2:33 p.m.

From the comments section of the Barn Finds post:

John McKnight

The yellow vee is a McKnight FV manufactured in San Diego.

wae
wae SuperDork
8/27/19 7:27 a.m.

TIL: Thanks to Toyman, I learned that Sika Fence Post Mix is a thing that exists.  That is going to have major implications for my life both for cosplay props and for actually fixing some fence posts that I need to tend to!  All in a thread about a Formula Vee. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/19 12:23 p.m.

That is sucks to be almost 50 and working on your back under a dash.  Not that is was much better when I was younger though.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/27/19 1:13 p.m.
Aaron_King said:

That is sucks to be almost 50 and working on your back under a dash.  Not that is was much better when I was younger though.

DD#2's Impala needs the inevitable HVAC blender motor replacement.  I'm not looking forward to it.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
8/28/19 7:32 a.m.

TIL that when you take a brand new piston out of the box for your 250 2 stroke off-road bike, and fumble and drop it on the concrete floor the skirt will snap off like a century old grandmothers hip...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/28/19 7:34 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

Try it at 59, five months after cardiac surgery.  While wearing progressive lenses.

I try to make other people do that now.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/28/19 5:52 p.m.

today i learned: that beefalo is a thing, and that a store called the Raisin Rack sells it

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/29/19 9:21 a.m.

TIL that they cont. to make the XJS until '96. cool

Prior to this I thought it was a CL typo.  I lived in the U.K. during that time and wasn't even aware of it.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/1/19 5:38 p.m.

That there is an A3 convertible and an absolutely huge berkeley off BMW bloatasaurus the X7. no

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/19 5:44 p.m.
slowbird said:

today i learned: that beefalo is a thing, and that a store called the Raisin Rack sells it

If it's farm raised, bison/buffalo taste almost exactly like cow.  Same feed, same flavor.

Woody
9/1/19 5:46 p.m.

Today I Learned that I can fit inside an actual Caldwell/Autodynamics D13 Formula Vee.

And a Lotus Elan. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
9/1/19 7:07 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Can you work the pedals in the Elan? Oh sure, all 3 with one foot. Former Elan owner here.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/19 7:12 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Woody :

Can you work the pedals in the Elan? Oh sure, all 3 with one foot. Former Elan owner here.

"Whether you want to or not!"

Woody
9/1/19 9:29 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Woody :

I was actually focusing on that. I've heard so many stories about the cramped footbox that I thought it would be a lot worse. The car felt bigger than I expected it to.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/1/19 9:58 p.m.

This week I've learned:

Uhaul doesn't rent overnight during Labor day weekend.

A 10 yard dumpster is a lot smaller than I remember.

The pellet smoker was worth every penny.

NEVER underestimate the stupidity of builders from the 60s.

My roofer, a good long time friend and co-worker, has turned into a E36 M3 stain that doesn't do 8 hour shifts anymore.

Sometimes getting a bigger hammer is the right answer.

And finally, the next time I decide to do a home repair I should start by shorting out the deep fryer. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/19 6:52 p.m.

Humming birds chirp.  (Was actually Saturday, but who is counting)

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
9/2/19 7:38 p.m.

TIL the Motorola 68000 processor actually has 68000 transistors. Truth in marketing! Take that, BMW

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
9/3/19 11:18 p.m.

TIL I can get dunlop Direzza ZIIIs in 185/60r14. Unfortunately not Gastropod legal though.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/3/19 11:22 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

That there is an A3 convertible and an absolutely huge berkeley off BMW bloatasaurus the X7. no

Ummmm, huh?

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/3/19 11:34 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Unless my eyes deceived me.  Well not on the A3 'vert.  That did happen.  The humungous Beemer was a number of feet away but it didn't look like anything I'd seen before and I'm positive it had those badges.  Oh yeah no thumbs down on the A3 other than her political stickers. smiley

oh heck i'll go google but they both fall under TIL.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/3/19 11:35 p.m.

there's the first one.  Never knew.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/3/19 11:36 p.m.

and here's bloaty.  $74k.  Sheesh. no

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/3/19 11:47 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

and here's bloaty.  $74k.  Sheesh. no

That is comprehensively awful. The Chinese market is destroying European cars by popularity - with no tariffs necessary. 

Woody
9/4/19 6:01 a.m.

TIL that Dorian is actually a guy's name.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
9/4/19 5:27 p.m.

TIL what it sounds like to go over the handlebars right onto your head.

LTIEIR (later tonight I expect I'll relearn) what a slightly shortened neck feels like.

1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
htgfCQYVE5qqjyfBr2BhjmxWj3NDR8OsRqLlmBG3PlxwZAp6Wkpmue0RgnHE9ehR