1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 ... 213
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/21/20 10:54 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

My f-I-law is from Alabama and I had his friend "Lynn" at my wedding and I've seen the guy a 100 times in my town and last year he passed away and I saw his obit and his name was Len short for Leonard.  

I called out my FIL and he said yes, his name is "Lynn".  

When I first moved to NC a long time ago, I was working for IBM's help desk. It was my job to call back business customer who had problems the first line folks couldn't quickly fix. I got a ticket for Cheryl at a Kroger supermarket, so I called the number and said:

Me:  "Hello, this is IBM calling in regards to case number blah, is Cheryl available?" (I enunciated this name: Sheh-rill)

Them: Who?

Me: Cheryl. 

Them: Who?

Me: Cheryl, in regards to (thing that was broken)

Around this time, an NC native co-worker peered over my shoulder and said: Ask for Shurl (rhymes with churl)

Me: Is Shurl available?

Them: OHHH, SHURL!  Hold on.

Co-worker: Welcome to the South!

I still tease my wife about the words pen/pin and hill/heel sounding exactly the same, along with other features of her accent.

She'd say: Ah hurt mah heel onna pin climbin' up th' heel to get an ink pin.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/23/20 2:36 p.m.

TIL, as I was reading about Graham Hill, that he won the World Driving Championship in 1968.   I read that he ran 12 races.  Won 3, Second 3 times, fourth once, ninth once, DNF 4 times.  Learned that in the old days, you could win a championship by not scoring points five out of twelve times.

Didn't learn that times have really changed in F1.

Also learned that he died in a plane crash with an expired license, in an unregistered airplane, flying in fog that he wasn't licensed for.  Oopsie.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/20 7:20 a.m.

TIL the lead singer & songwriter of the Ides of March song "Vehicle" is also the founder, lead singer, and co-writer of "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor, Jim Peterik.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/27/20 7:51 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

TIL the lead singer & songwriter of the Ides of March song "Vehicle" is also the founder, lead singer, and co-writer of "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor, Jim Peterik.

Dear Bob.  That is a crossover I never would have even remotely considered.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/20 1:36 p.m.
Duke said:
Pete Gossett said:

It doesn't even remotely sound like the same person singing both songs, but apparently it is!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/27/20 2:35 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:
Duke said:
Pete Gossett said:

It doesn't even remotely sound like the same person singing both songs, but apparently it is!

Actually, according to this, Eye Of The Tiger was co-written by Jim Peterik, but sung by Dave Bickler.

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson Reader
1/27/20 3:04 p.m.
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/20 4:50 p.m.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/20 8:39 p.m.

TIL Morgan has a nice configurator:

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/28/20 6:34 a.m.

TIL that I want a Morgan with steel wheels . . .

RossD
RossD MegaDork
1/28/20 6:48 a.m.

In reply to Mike :

Did you watch the DriveTribe youtube video with Richard Hammond?

Woody
1/30/20 8:20 p.m.

TIL that Bruce Lee was born in San Francisco and that he had had his underarm sweat glands removed in late 1972, in the apparent belief that underarm sweat was unphotogenic on film.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/30/20 9:07 p.m.

TIL Ides of March were the original inspiration for the Candy Van. 

Woody
2/2/20 9:43 a.m.
Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/20 9:49 a.m.
RossD said:

In reply to Mike :

Did you watch the DriveTribe youtube video with Richard Hammond?

I did.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/3/20 6:53 a.m.

TIL that the Kansas City Chiefs aren't from Kansas. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/20 6:58 a.m.
Duke said:

I was just stopping in here to post the same thing. 

Who knew.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/3/20 7:23 a.m.
Toyman01 said:
Duke said:

I was just stopping in here to post the same thing. 

Who knew.

Not one dude in particular. wink

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/3/20 7:27 a.m.

TIL (or was reminded at least) what a hillbilly, redneck, PRUDE state I live in.  People around here were downright offended by the halftime show.  

clutches pearls: "Children might have watched her on that pole."  and  "I made my kids turn around, they shouldn't see that sort of dancing." 

Prudes

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/3/20 7:48 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Not just Kentucky. America as a whole still has a serious Puritan streak, and anything approaching real human interaction frightens the Puritan in them.

Woody
2/3/20 7:57 a.m.

TIL that if you tie a small, loose knot in the middle of a piece of dental floss, it will make just enough of a difference to grab that tiny piece of popcorn kernel that you've been fighting all berkeleying day.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/20 8:11 a.m.

I didn't watch the game or the show, but is certainly was polarizing. I'm not sure a stripper pole is what I would consider "good" entertainment. At least not since I was in my 20s. I know my son was at a friends house and they ended up turning it off because they felt it was inappropriate for the kids that were watching. 

It's too bad that they seem to want to push boundaries instead of producing a show that would be acceptable for the entire audience.  

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/3/20 8:22 a.m.

I've been to Wal-Mart's in Kentucky, I can't imagine them allowing a more disturbing site on national television

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/3/20 11:16 a.m.

How do the prudes think those children got made?  I like Jimmy Johnson's comment about hips. Bet most people didn't get that he was referring to how cornerbacks are judged by how well they can turn their hips. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/3/20 11:20 a.m.
Stampie said:

How do the prudes think those children got made?

Once-a-month missionary position sex under the covers with the lights out, and probably a happy ending for only one of the parties involved.

1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oZIeQ9MjCm0Yphom1VqSaqw1FpSnjfvbbFsbHye2t9CoEy2ipRG7Q6N5rCh5ysms