1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 213
NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/3/20 11:41 a.m.

TIL that ORD stands for Chicago airport, not Orlando. I learned this after I bought plane tickets, and with only a 1 hour layover in O'Hare both ways. Whoops.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/3/20 11:57 a.m.
NickD said:

TIL that ORD stands for Chicago airport, not Orlando. I learned this after I bought plane tickets, and with only a 1 hour layover in O'Hare both ways. Whoops.

Gotta be real careful with airport codes, as it is very common for their codes to have little to nothing to do with their current names. For instance, O'Hare used to be known as Orchard Field because it was originally a factory known as Orchard place. ORD comes from ORcharD.

Similarly, Orlando is... MCO. Used to be McCoy Air Force Base (or Air Corp?). 

There are probably a bunch of other ones as well, but those are the ones I'm aware of.

BTW... I'd choose ORD over MCO every time. I really, really dislike MCO and despite nearly everyone I talk to disagreeing with me, I've never had a problem with ORD [that wasn't related to Spirit airlines]. And, incidentally, the route I fly the most is ORD to MCO. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/3/20 12:09 p.m.

Saskatoon=yxe.  Not sure where that comes from.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/3/20 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

YYZ = Toronto.

[edit] Annnnnnnnnd the Media Embed is broken again.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/3/20 12:35 p.m.
mtn said:
NickD said:

Gotta be real careful with airport codes, as it is very common for their codes to have little to nothing to do with their current names. For instance, O'Hare used to be known as Orchard Field because it was originally a factory known as Orchard place. ORD comes from ORcharD.

Similarly, Orlando is... MCO. Used to be McCoy Air Force Base (or Air Corp?). 

There are probably a bunch of other ones as well, but those are the ones I'm aware of.

See, the website I was using didn't show the airport names and only the 3 letter codes. I should have checked, but I knew DTW was Detroit and ALQ was Albuquerqe and Saint Paul was MSP, so I just jumped to the conclusion that ORD had to be Orlando. Whoops. Realistically, the location didn't really matter, because that flight was the only one with a reasonable departure and arrival time.

wae
wae UltraDork
2/3/20 12:42 p.m.
NickD said:

Also be careful with San Jose.  SJC is in California.  SJO is...  Very much not.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/3/20 1:08 p.m.

1 hour layover is pretty much a "go straight to the gate for the next flight" situation in a busy Chicago airport.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/3/20 1:15 p.m.
dculberson said:

1 hour layover is pretty much a "go straight to the gate for the next flight" situation in a busy Chicago airport.

Yep, gonna have to be ready to run. It was either that, or redeye flights with unreasonable arrival and departure times. Or one flight had a NINETEEN HOUR layover in Saint Paul

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/3/20 1:20 p.m.
dculberson said:

In Chicago, it is probably not going to be too bad assuming you stay with the same airline. In general they're going to be in the same terminal and won't be more than a 10 minute walk. The exception will be if you're in United Terminal 1 Concourse B, which involves a long walk underground. 

Of course, having to taxi for 20 minutes and another 10 minutes to deboard is not unheard of and can be a gigantic PITA.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/3/20 1:32 p.m.
mtn said:
dculberson said:

In Chicago, it is probably not going to be too bad assuming you stay with the same airline. In general they're going to be in the same terminal and won't be more than a 10 minute walk. The exception will be if you're in United Terminal 1 Concourse B, which involves a long walk underground. 

Of course, having to taxi for 20 minutes and another 10 minutes to deboard is not unheard of and can be a gigantic PITA.

All 4 legs (2 down and 2 back) are through American, so hopefully I'm not SOL. But if you are in O'Hare on May 22nd and May 25th and hear someone yelling "Get out of my berkeleying way, motherberkeleyer" in an upstate NY accent, look for the balding 6'3" guy shoving old ladies into trashcans.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/3/20 3:30 p.m.

TIL this:

"Certain molecular signatures in human poop, called stanols, can be washed into lakes and other basins by the rain, which means the more stanols you find in ancient sediments, the more people who likely lived nearby."

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/3/20 3:32 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

It's too bad that they seem to want to push boundaries instead of producing a show that would be acceptable for the entire audience.  

They way it gets accepted is for it to become commonplace. While not exactly the same as a half time show, there were a few big kerfuffles around here regarding breastfeeding mothers in public.  It had become less common for a while, so when the trend started to reverse, a bunch of people had to clutch their pearls and get all bent out of shape about it.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/3/20 3:35 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
Toyman01 said:

It's too bad that they seem to want to push boundaries instead of producing a show that would be acceptable for the entire audience.  

They way it gets accepted is for it to become commonplace. While not exactly the same as a half time show, there were a few big kerfuffles around here regarding breastfeeding mothers in public.  It had become less common for a while, so when the trend started to reverse, a bunch of people had to clutch their pearls and get all bent out of shape about it.

There was also a time when women would get a ticket if they wore their skirts above their knees, and it was unacceptable for grown men to wear shorts.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/3/20 3:41 p.m.
NickD said:
mtn said:
dculberson said:

All 4 legs (2 down and 2 back) are through American, so hopefully I'm not SOL. But if you are in O'Hare on May 22nd and May 25th and hear someone yelling "Get out of my berkeleying way, motherberkeleyer" in an upstate NY accent, look for the balding 6'3" guy shoving old ladies into trashcans.

Took advantage of free cancellation. Found a flight with a 2 hour layover at Chicago on the way down, almost 4 hours on the way back.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/3/20 4:14 p.m.
mtn said:

There was also a time when women would get a ticket if they wore their skirts above their knees, and it was unacceptable for grown men to wear shorts.

Too bad that second one didn't stick around... cheeky

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/3/20 4:19 p.m.
mtn said:
Brett_Murphy said:
Toyman01 said:

Having not watched it because I find their "music" beyond annoying to listen to, I do fail to understand how the clips I've seen of two washed up sex symbols dancing like strippers is supposed to be "empowering", which is the buzzword I saw thrown around leading up to the super bowl. 

I also feel likes if I were to publicly criticize it for just such a thing I would be shouted down with accusations of being some sort of -ist.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/20 5:03 p.m.
RevRico said:
mtn said:
Brett_Murphy said:
Toyman01 said:

Having not watched it because I find their "music" beyond annoying to listen to, I do fail to understand how the clips I've seen of two washed up sex symbols dancing like strippers is supposed to be "empowering", which is the buzzword I saw thrown around leading up to the super bowl. 

I also feel likes if I were to publicly criticize it for just such a thing I would be shouted down with accusations of being some sort of -ist.

Hopefully the same people who are/were offended by the show are also offended by the skimpy costumes and gyrations of the cheerleaders.

I won't mention the violence on the field and how damaging to the players games like football are, or the alcohol ads that help propagate alcoholism.

Basically, there's lots WE as a society probably should be concerned about, but as usual the wrongs things are being focused on.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/20 6:42 p.m.
Stefan said:I won't mention the violence on the field and how damaging to the players games like football are, or the alcohol ads that help propagate alcoholism.

Basically, there's lots WE as a society probably should be concerned about, but as usual the wrongs things are being focused on.

Very long comic that would probably break the forum

Also it has a swear word in it, which is kind of on-point too.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/3/20 7:22 p.m.
RevRico said:

Which one is washed up: the one worth $400m or the one worth $300m? The one hotter that's still than anyone either of us has ever dated, or the other one that's still hotter than anyone either of us has ever dated?

Seems to me they were putting on a dance show, whether you or I think they're "dancing like strippers" is not their problem. I didn't watch the whole thing, it's not my bag, but it didn't look like anything more shocking or revealing than what's on TV any other day of the week.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/20 7:31 p.m.
dculberson said:
RevRico said:

Which one is washed up: the one worth $400m or the one worth $300m? The one hotter that's still than anyone either of us has ever dated, or the other one that's still hotter than anyone either of us has ever dated?

Seems to me they were putting on a dance show, whether you or I think they're "dancing like strippers" is not their problem. I didn't watch the whole thing, it's not my bag, but it didn't look like anything more shocking or revealing than what's on TV any other day of the week.

Probably why I don't watch much TV. 

Sex sells, it always has and it always will. I don't see them as being any different than the women on any other X rated video. I find it interesting that some women demand that women not be objectified and cheapened, while others objectify and cheapen themselves.

Whatever, I'm not their target audience. If they want to sell it, they should absolutely be allowed to. More power to them.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/3/20 7:39 p.m.
dculberson said:
RevRico said:

QFT brother.  We watched and enjoyed it.  All the drama around all the halftime shows is ridiculous.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/3/20 10:54 p.m.
mtn said:
Brett_Murphy said:
Toyman01 said:

it was unacceptable for grown men to wear shorts.

Uh, was?  Haha!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/3/20 11:30 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/4/20 9:16 a.m.

I would rather watch flys berk than watch Maroon 5 again. That outfit is awful.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/5/20 11:23 a.m.

TIL that Rock Auto offers Bilstein shocks with lowering springs for some cars. Haven't checked every car, but they do offer them for Mazda2s, Mazda3s and RX-8s

1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZST485hZU09o5FJCmW73w7K6mFIiNwIdQqsXr6aeZcZE9OCTfSWqAC4RnQqg6vl5