glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/18 9:08 p.m.

Toilet would run and cycle about every 15-30 minutes.  Replaced the flapper and now it cycles every 2-3 hours.  Overnight the tank drained all the way down.  With the tank full I used to be able to hear water leaking.  Now I can't hear anything but the water level still slowly goes down over 2-3 hours.  Any ideas?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/17/18 9:15 p.m.

Check the tank to bowl area for seepage, otherwise it sounds like the flush valve is cooked. Fortunately they're cheap. 

glueguy
12/17/18 9:57 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Check the tank to bowl area for seepage, otherwise it sounds like the flush valve is cooked. Fortunately they're cheap. 

So how would that work?  The fill level is well below the overflow portion of the flush valve.  How could the toilet drain from the flush valve?  Outside of the toilet and floor is completely dry.

glueguy
12/17/18 10:01 p.m.

Sorry, just looked at a picture, I was thinking the fill side.  I'll replace the flush valve.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
12/17/18 10:09 p.m.

The seat for the flapper valve. I've had one have a slow(ish) seep. Bought a replacement flapper valve that had a seat that glued to existing seat. Worked, stopped the seep. Was a bit more than a standard flapper valve but still not expensive. I originally bought it cause it said the rubber material it was made of would last longer than a standard black rubber flapper valve, this one was a reddish-orange and more flexible. As stated, can replace the complete guts to the tank cheaply as insurance.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
12/18/18 5:10 a.m.

Flush Valve - BTDT

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/18/18 6:10 a.m.

In reply to wlkelley3 :

Yup.  The flapper is the main culprit but the seat it lands against also wears and gives problems.  You can replace the entire guts of a toilet for around $35 and have new mechanicals but when my units have gotten that old i’ve Had the best luck with just replacing the whole thing.   Whole new commode will run about $100-$125 for a good one and be good for the next 15-20 years.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/18/18 7:22 a.m.

The correct answer is a new assembly. But if you hate plumbing, try scrubbing the seating surface with Ajax scrubbing powder until you stop getting residue from the old flapper. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/18/18 11:41 a.m.

If the flapper valve is seated well and water is not pouring down the fill tube and it's not dripping on the floor; the only other place is can go is down the drain by bypassing the flapper.  Get a new unit if you want, but ensure to clean very well the seat of the flapper valve unit to the 5 gallon tank.

That's the Flush Valve Washer below.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/18 2:03 p.m.

I was at my local hardware store last week with a sweet little old Asian couple behind me in the checkout line. The husband was holding a toilet seat in his hands and the cashier was super slow so I turned to him and said “I hope you’re not in a hurry” and his wife just totally busted up laughing.

Not at all helpful at stopping a leak but they were just so cute and it was great to encounter people that still have a sense of humor and aren’t looking for an excuse to get all bent out of shape.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OAVzoDOX1t5YFVxTwU0TmAcgK76mSqe6kIyJQ7LMIdbLS6hOgBaTf0QE04F7yMv4