Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/1/22 10:07 p.m.

Surprised that we don't have a thread on this. Now, I'll admit that as a Generation X'er, this movie was programmed to go straight to my pleasure centers, but boy, did it deliver. Tom Cruise may be a nutbag, but the dude is one hell of a movie star. I don't want to get spoilery, but there's a cameo in the third act that, while highly unrealistic, totally makes the movie.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/22 10:33 p.m.

Basically, if you liked the first one, you will like the second one. Well worth seeing on the big screen. I swear I was feeling the negative Gs at points. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/1/22 10:44 p.m.

The first movie was my favorite movie of all time. After seeing the sequel, the original is my second-favorite movie of all time. Amazingly well done, with a ton of Easter eggs for the fans of the original.  If you haven't seen it yet, go see it.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/1/22 10:48 p.m.

Saw it opening night in IMAX.  It was very good in that Top Gun, Days of Thunder sort of thrillride way.  Not complex but good. 

And yes..  The 3rd act Cameo is fantastic.  

Keith Tanner
6/1/22 10:58 p.m.

I think the cameo was actually in the previews :)

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/1/22 11:14 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yes but also no.  

It was good everyone.   Go see it.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/1/22 11:41 p.m.

It was an absolute delight. Love that they paid the Navy to actually fly the actors around in F-18s. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/2/22 8:34 a.m.

I haven't been inside a movie theater in decades, but I'm thinking about going to see this film.  

(I'm now old enough to get a senior discount at the matinee showings, so that helps.  smiley)

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/22 8:47 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

(I'm now old enough to get a senior discount at the matinee showings, so that helps.  smiley)

Then you're right in the target age range for this movie. laugh

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
6/2/22 8:47 a.m.

We went to see it Tuesday.  The number of problems with the "mission" are nearly endless but it was silly fun to watch.

I enjoyed how Mavericks' achievement in the first part of the movie is never mentioned again. laugh

Definitely worth watching!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/2/22 9:00 a.m.

I love me a summer blockbuster, especially if it doesn't involve a multiverse and a bunch of unrealistic beings thumping a street to make the asphalt wave-pool into the bad... thing, guy, whatever. The original Top Gun is streaming; watched it last weekend to prepare. Excited to hear the sequel holds up.

Margie

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
6/2/22 9:28 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

We call that "Marvel Fatigue". 

Let's go back to the days of standalone(ish) summer blockbusters, please. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/2/22 10:18 a.m.

As an aviation kid, Top Gun was the first movie I called bullE36 M3 on some of the technical points.MiG- 28s? C'mon!  But I enjoyed it immensely. It cemented the F-14 Tomcat as a generation's badass jet. The Navy must have been happy with it because they've milked it for 35 years.  

I hope Maverick does the same with the Super Hornet and this generation. I think it just might.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/22 10:28 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Tom Cruise may be a nutbag, but the dude is one hell of a movie star.

This. So much this. The guy knows his craft. Popcorn blockbusters that satiate the little kid in my psyche making whooshing noises playing with toy planes. 

Keith Tanner
6/2/22 11:41 a.m.
KyAllroad said:

We went to see it Tuesday.  The number of problems with the "mission" are nearly endless but it was silly fun to watch.

I enjoyed how Mavericks' achievement in the first part of the movie is never mentioned again. laugh

Definitely worth watching!

We need a spoilered thread so we can discuss that first achievement. I'm not sure the end result of that stunt would have had the desired effect on the program. 

Keith Tanner
6/2/22 11:50 a.m.
NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/2/22 3:39 p.m.
iansane said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Tom Cruise may be a nutbag, but the dude is one hell of a movie star.

This. So much this. The guy knows his craft. Popcorn blockbusters that satiate the little kid in my psyche making whooshing noises playing with toy planes. 

The guy is an absolute machine. Completely dedicated to producing movies, and to using as many practical effects as possible. The one swordfight in The Last Samurai, Tom Cruise and the other actors were supposed to have 72 hours to choreograph, practice and film the scene. The production staff ended up giving them only 12 hours for various reasons. The stuntmen and choreographers said they were blown away by how driven Tom was to nail that scene, and it came out amazing despite having only a sixth of the time that they were originally planning on. When they were making Edge Of Tomorrow, the combat rigs they had to wear were taking like 4 hours to put on and take off and were burning up production time. Tom put out like a $10k bounty for the person who could figure out how to get them on and off the fastest, and he and all the actors were taking theirs back to their rooms after shooting was over for the day and modifying the rig and experimenting with different methods of putting them on and off, and they got the process down to like 30 minutes. And then there is all the insanity of the Mission: Impossible films: becoming the director so that no one could pull him off of stunts, having to make his own company to insure himself, strapping himself to the sides of airplanes, climbing the Burj Khalifa, learning how to fly a helicopter, etc. I know Simon Pegg said that filming with him is always fun because you just never know what to expect. He said they had a day of downtime while filming M:I4 and Tom Cruise was like "I want to go ziplining, who wants to go ziplining?" He grabbed Simon Pegg, Paula Patton, and Jeremy Renner, went and hopped in his private airplane and flew to a different country to go ziplining for a day, and then flew back for the next day.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/2/22 3:54 p.m.

Minor confession:

I've never seen more of the original Top Gun than you see in trailers.

wouter007
wouter007
8/16/22 7:10 a.m.

Biased by my engineering/aerodynamics background, I analyzed some of the scenes in Top Gun Maverick:

https://youtu.be/v0R7CfMa7SA

One scene that struck me was the one where Maverick takes a turn in the Dark Star when going at a speed of Mach 9.0! This would generate massive G-forces, even if the turning radius is something like 10km - over 60G!

Another one is the Cobra maneuver - pulling up the plane, going into stall, and leveling again behind your follower. Not everyone agrees this can be done in an F18.

Then there’s also breaking the sound barrier. This creates a vapor cone, which was nicely captured in the movie. Not sure how realistic it is, but a really nice detail.

Looking forward to your comments!

stroker
stroker PowerDork
8/16/22 7:45 p.m.

Our local library has ninety two copies of Maverick on order...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NwypcfwMmd6pjxnasozFeejydBBS9GDEcNNusTEmkcJT2qe8iGhcHxsr80RbgWLS