1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/26/22 9:42 p.m.

We are all hoping this large cold front full of dry air hauls butt south and puts a damper on Ian's party.  Otherwise SouthWest Florida might be in the biggest mess since Donna in 1960.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/22 7:01 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I atually looked that up. Its pronounced Ian. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/27/22 7:05 a.m.

Work gave me the option of coming in or hunkering down today.
Yeah... no

That first band of rain is gonna hit where I work pretty much right as I get there, then I'd get to fight it all the way home.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/27/22 7:28 a.m.

Are you SURE you wouldnt want to be at work instead of home for a cat 3 hitting a major populated area?  

good luck. Im gonna be getting the rest of yhe prep done today. Lot of yard work. Hope my papayas dont get messed up. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
9/27/22 7:30 a.m.

Dont forget, spaghettimodels.com for all your raw data without the overly dramatic news casters. 
yay for Mikes weather page!

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
9/27/22 4:38 p.m.

Rumor mill says that my corporate overlord is going to be magnanimous and allow us to leave at noon tomorrow. His meteorology degree from Nowhere U tells him that the winds won't be that bad here (Orlando) before that so he can wring a little more productivity from us before sending us to drive home in it. He also brought me some ammonium sulfite that he wanted me to mix with saline in my office-lab that has the AC blocked off, so I'm feeling a little toasty with his utter disdain for the people that make his millions possible. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
9/27/22 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Error404 :

We're leaving at 3 tomorrow.  This is hitting right in our two week shutdown for new equipment commissioning.  So contractors have bugged out already.  The army of engineers from the mothership are still here.  The big cranes are being moved tonight. All of the Uninstalled pieces are being bright into the building. 

They really picked the worst time of year for big outdoor and roof projects.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
9/27/22 5:50 p.m.
Duke said:

Coworker and his family are visiting The Mouse this week.

Looks like they won't be on Wednesday and Thursday.  Hope they'll be OK.

-Rob

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/27/22 6:16 p.m.

Looks like it shifted south a bit. We are going to see 45 mph winds with some higher gusts, I'll take that all day compared to what the people in Tampa will see. 

Schools are closed tomorrow. I am staying home. Shutters are not going up, just picked some stuff from outside and moved it in. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/27/22 6:57 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Yeah, Punta Gorda might get another beating. I've got good friends in Venice and Sarasota that I'm really thinking about tonight. This is going to be a big hit on the entire state.

The projected 3 days of rain starts in about an hour. I just put all my tools away from prepping and am sitting outside enjoying a beer. All the overhead clouds are getting sucked SW towards the storm. I kinda love pre-storm weather.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/27/22 7:05 p.m.
hobiercr said:

In reply to Slippery :

Yeah, Punta Gorda might get another beating. I've got good friends in Venice and Sarasota that I'm really thinking about tonight. This is going to be a big hit on the entire state.

The projected 3 days of rain starts in about an hour. I just put all my tools away from prepping and am sitting outside enjoying a beer. All the overhead clouds are getting sucked SW towards the storm. I kinda love pre-storm weather.

I've never been near a hurricane, but I totally understand that with the nasty, nasty thunderstorms and winds we get here.......even without 'naders.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/22 7:10 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

I was thinking about that today as I looked at the nice clear blue skies.  It's amazing the calm before the storm.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
9/27/22 7:42 p.m.

The center line of the cone is right up my blue dot.  Hurricane god is mad at the I-4 corridor. 

Stampie
9/27/22 7:45 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Can't really blame the hurricane god.  I don't know anyone that likes the I-4 corridor.

Stampie
9/27/22 7:49 p.m.

On a side note, I did my first Hurricane Ian prep today.  I went by National Carburetors and got a carb for the Suprang.  I was nearby and afraid they'd be closed on my day off Friday as Ian came by.

Mr_Asa
9/27/22 8:32 p.m.

My GF who lives in New Port Richey sent me this earlier. I LOL'd.

It looks like Ian will make landfall down by Sarasota if the current track holds. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/22 8:57 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I atually looked that up. Its pronounced Ian. 

That's what I thought. Thank you. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/27/22 9:22 p.m.

My daughter lives near Tampa. This is her first. Pictures of her husband covering the windows with storm shutters.  
     They don't have sand bags yet or a generator.   

Mr_Asa
9/27/22 9:23 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Won't need sand bags unless their place is really poorly laid out.  Generator might be needed though.

Stampie
9/27/22 9:55 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I'm sorry this is her first.  She's doing it wrong.  Embrace the hurricane and the loss of power afterwards.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/27/22 10:05 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to frenchyd :

I'm sorry this is her first.  She's doing it wrong.  Embrace the hurricane and the loss of power afterwards.

Agreed.  My fil was just talking about getting his new generator setup to power the fridge.  I told him he needs it for his router, computer, phone charging, laptop and especially coffee maker.  Just don't open the fridge and it will be fine for a few days.

We still have plans for a picnic and birthday party on Saturday (south carolina).

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/27/22 10:11 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Won't need sand bags unless their place is really poorly laid out.  Generator might be needed though.

What about storm surge?  

Stampie
9/27/22 10:22 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

What storm surge?  Is she 10 feet or less above sea level?  I hate to say it but you sound like my dad every time a storm gets within 500 miles of FL.

Stampie
9/27/22 10:33 p.m.

Stampie Hurricane prep 101.

I keep ten liters of water in my freezer at all times.

Their primary purpose is to serve as ice in my freezer in case of power lose.

If really needed I have them for water.

Two days before I storm I make sure I have at least 7 days of non perishable food in the house.  Normally I have that anyway.  Cans of soup are non perishable and can be eaten cold.

I also make sure I have enough adult beverages because storm aftermath can get boring.

If power goes out I move perishables to the freezer with the frozen water.  The ice keeps it cool for up to 3 days or so.

Charcoal grill is nice just incase you need to cook perishables.  I always have that because I like Charcoal grilling anyway.

So here's how it goes.

I'm home because national media tells us that we're all going to die

I pour a drink and continue life as normal.

Power may go out.  I spend a few minutes moving stuff to the freezer not forgetting that I like cold coke for my whiskey.

I grill out a couple of days if needed and clean up a few limbs as the grill warms up.

By now power is back on and I regret going back to civilized life after realizing that the caveman had it better.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cnaOji0mPiEmlRg07I54jzyzNdiytnwvPhEzJQyOjkO5rVFT6nNdtCAvhtoLEu6v